Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Steering Rack Kicking Noise

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi!

The kicking noise comes from a steering rack on Model X 2016-2017 when a steering wheel is moved back and forth abruptly.

The conditions:
1. A vehicle is in a parking mode or is powered off.
2. Come to a vehicle
3. Open a door
4. Start moving a steering rack back and forth abruptly:
5. The kicking noise starts coming from the middle of a steering rack:

The test has been carried on multiple Model X 2016-2017. All of them has fully perfect links, suspension and so on.

May I kindly ask the owners of Model X 2016-2017 to carry out the similar test and report results, please.

It's most likely due to the U-joint from the steering column that's corroded, and not related to the rack.. Probably needs a replacement. If it's not throwing out any service codes, that's the only thing you need to have replaced. I had It done at an EV garage. It came to about $1200.

If the rack has a problem, you'll be spending at least $3000 to replace. However, since there is no service codes, the chance of the rack is a problem is slim. The rack is assisted with an electric motor. If the electric motor has resistance or feels any feedback from the rack and pinion, it will throw a service code. This leads me to believe it's just the steering column U-joint that's rusted and needs replacing.

Thank you very much! The car is still under the warranty. What makes me concerned, that this kicking noise was easily reproduced on several Model X vehicles (four of them). Each tested Model X 2016-2017 had this kicking noise.
Is it a coincidence or this is the old steering rack engineering structure relevant only for Model X 2016-2017 which causes such noise to appear under certain conditions, even if it’s new?

Last edited:
Thank you very much! The car is still under warranty. What makes me concern, that this noise was easily reproduced on several Model X vehicles (four of them). Each tested Model X 2016-2017 had this kicking noise. Coincidence or this is the old steering rack engineering relevant only for Model X 2016-2017?
Based on age (5-6 years), it does make sense since it takes time for the U-joint to corrode enough to the point when your moving side to side causes it to knock on the guide housing. It's not a safety problem, but, this knock will cause it to fail state inspection in some states.

I think Electrified Garage is located in Florida as well. You can probably pay them to do a diagnostic on one vehicle to confirm.

Reactions: alangrig
The U-joint was later revised by Tesla to use an improved rubber boot to help prevent corrosion. However, I see you are in Florida, so it seems unlikely that you would experience corrosion with a Florida car. There are also issues with the bolts connecting the assist motor to the rack. I would visually inspect the motor and make sure it's secure. To do this you will need to strip the frunk.

The U-joint was later revised by Tesla to use an improved rubber boot to help prevent corrosion. However, I see you are in Florida, so it seems unlikely that you would experience corrosion with a Florida car. There are also issues with the bolts connecting the assist motor to the rack. I would visually inspect the motor and make sure it's secure. To do this you will need to strip the frunk.
I think that's probably the easiest to inspect everything, it's a weekend so the garage may not be open. Might as well, if you have free time, to remove everything in the frunk.

Being in Florida doesn't really mean the car hasn't traveled through the colder states up North. And, with floods and hurricanes, sea water can also come onto the car near the shore as well. Salt can come via different routes of nature.

Thank you. The car was repaired under the recall where the steering rack bolts had been replaced accordingly.

That's just normal electric steering operation.
It has spring loaded range where it controls the assist, then if there's no assist it hits hard stop on each end so u can still turn it for safety.
With car off n moving wheel fast side to side I get the knock. But it's more of dull sound. If ur sound changed after bolts then I guess u had an issue.
With car on you'll never hear or feel it.

That's just normal electric steering operation.
It has spring loaded range where it controls the assist, then if there's no assist it hits hard stop on each end so u can still turn it for safety.
With car off n moving wheel fast side to side I get the knock. But it's more of dull sound. If ur sound changed after bolts then I guess u had an issue.
With car on you'll never hear or feel it.
Thanx a lot. The bolts were changed 2 years ago under the recall. I’ve never tested the steering rack in this way before and after the replacement of the bolts. Just tried to clean a leather on the steering wheel few days ago and came this sound. So it is important to understand whether it’s normal behavior when the electric power steering isn’t engaged. Yes, when the car is on no any sounds at all while standstill or driving on any road surface.