Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Austin 4680 AWD (not LR) 279 mile range variant -Oddities and questions...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

jebinc

Jun 19, 2019
Seattle area
We ordered one of these odd-balls for my wife on Saturday. I tried find some information about this variant (e.g., reviews, accessory compatibility, etc.) and I only found one YTer's series of videos (RyuMoto). These I started doing research on accessories and compatibility and see reports that some are not compatible with this odd-ball, such as the swivel screen hardware, and perhaps event the tsportline MXS series of cockpit displays (which the wife wants). Looking for insight and advice on all of this, and hence the creation of this thread....

I dont know, specifically, but if it were me I would be considering this to be very similar to the Model 3 LeMR (Limited edition mid range) vehicle that was produced for a limited amount of time in 2018 / 2019. That vehicle is pretty much an orphan one, because it has a small install base. If I was considering this vehicle it would be with the understanding that it is likely it may never receive aftermarket support similar to other tesla vehicles.

I dont know, specifically, but if it were me I would be considering this to be very similar to the Model 3 LeMR (Limited edition mid range) vehicle that was produced for a limited amount of time in 2018 / 2019. That vehicle is pretty much an orphan one, because it has a small install base. If I was considering this vehicle it would be with the understanding that it is likely it may never receive aftermarket support similar to other tesla vehicles.
Thanks, but I’m not the the analogy applies. This is a new variant that is “on menu and based on the new going forward 4680 architecture. As time passes, this format will be the majority, in all trim levels.

I have one and am not aware of anything that would fit the MYLR and not fit the MYAWD, the major difference in the cars are the front mega casting and the battery pack is now a structural pack, everything that fits a 2170 built model y should fit a 4680 built one, to my knowledge.

Screen Swivel Mount  Tesla Motors Club.jpg

Thanks, but I’m not the the analogy applies. This is a new variant that is “on menu and based on the new going forward 4680 architecture. As time passes, this format will be the majority, in all trim levels.

Regardless of that, its not likely to be called out as anything specifically being available for it. Plenty of stuff may work, but I doubt you are going to be seeing a bunch of accessories that have that model in the description.

have you contacted the seller to see if this is correct?

You can be a product tester and contact the sellers about this. They may not have tested on the 4680 model before. They may even give whatever product to you for free as a thanks for being a tester. The issue maybe because Tesla relocated many of the cables/plugs due to the structural battery.

Reactions: jebinc
have you contacted the seller to see if this is correct?

No, as I wasn’t planning on buying this sellers swivel, but rather was considering the Tsportline version. And yes, I reached out to them with the question.

The S3XY buttons have this note:

Compatibility Note: The OBD port has moved in some US Austin-built Model Y's. If you have a mid-range (LFP battery), aka 'structural battery pack Model Y, then you will need the new LFP harness which you can select from the list above. If you don't know which model you have, simply remove the panel at the back of your center console, if there's no blue OBD connector there, you will need the new LFP cable.

I think they are wrong about calling it LFP, they probably mean 4680... So all accessories that tap into the same spot in the wiring would likely require a different cable/adapter. (Weird that they would change that for only the 4680 based Model Ys, and not all Austin production.)

The S3XY buttons have this note:

I think they are wrong about calling it LFP, they probably mean 4680... So all accessories that tap into the same spot in the wiring would likely require a different cable/adapter. (Weird that they would change that for only the 4680 based Model Ys, and not all Austin production.)
Its because of the structural battery pack... specifically, how the center console mounts to the battery on a rail. After the battery (with center console, seats, etc) is mounted to the underside of the body, the console slides forward to blend with the instrument panel.

Its likely, that because of that, the cabling likely changed... after all, the only electrical thing in the center console are the USB ports. The older cabling method might've been based on the possibility of installing a screen behind the center console, like in the X... which became a definite "no" for the 4680 variant, if not all MYs.

So, I have owned the 4680 MY variant for over a month and all the accessories that I have tried worked flawlessly. Everything that I purchased have been for the MYLR variant since they do not call out the base MYAWD when ordering accessories. I cannot say anything about the swivel display adapter since I did not do that.

I installed the Hansshow 9" display and it connected just like the older models. The blue plug is still in the same location as well as the power plug, both in the passenger side footwell. Also, I installed the performance pedals, storage trays, cup holder insert, screen protector, carbon fiber side mirror caps, carbon fiber rear spoiler, etc. Everything fit perfect and was purchased from Amazon, aka the new Pep Boys :D

Next on the list are the Eibach lowering springs and a front lip spoiler, all already purchased just need to find time to install.

Let me know if anyone has questions.

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: DanDi58 and jebinc
So, I have owned the 4680 MY variant for over a month and all the accessories that I have tried worked flawlessly. Everything that I purchased have been for the MYLR variant since they do not call out the base MYAWD when ordering accessories. I cannot say anything about the swivel display adapter since I did not do that.

I installed the Hansshow 9" display and it connected just like the older models. The blue plug is still in the same location as well as the power plug, both in the passenger side footwell. Also, I installed the performance pedals, storage trays, cup holder insert, screen protector, carbon fiber side mirror caps, carbon fiber rear spoiler, etc. Everything fit perfect and was purchased from Amazon, aka the new Pep Boys :D

Next on the list are the Eibach lowering springs and a front lip spoiler, all already purchased just need to find time to install.

What else can you share about the 4680 AWD variant? Any rattles or items unique to this variant, vs the Freemont LR? How long did it take, order to delivery?

What else can you share about the 4680 AWD variant? Any rattles or items unique to this variant, vs the Freemont LR? How long did it take, order to delivery?
This is my first Tesla and just like with most of their cars, it was not perfect from the factory. There were some fitment issues, but most got taken care of. Other than that, the car is great. It drives amazing and is very smooth and quiet. Interior fit and finish is great as well. I did have the rear middle seat headrest rattle, but Tesla fixed that. This being my first Tesla, range is the only thing hard to get used to.

I purchased it throught the Existing Inventory option and had the car in my possession withing 2 weeks of placing the order. I did lease the MY since I wanted to try it out for a bit before fully committing to it.

Here is a pic after a fresh ceramic coat, but before the carbon fiber mirror cap installation.

Attachments

• 2023-04-15 14.53.57.jpg
    2023-04-15 14.53.57.jpg
    836.8 KB · Views: 46
  • Helpful
Reactions: jebinc
So, I have owned the 4680 MY variant for over a month and all the accessories that I have tried worked flawlessly.

I installed the Hansshow 9" display and it connected just like the older models. The blue plug is still in the same location as well as the power plug, both in the passenger side footwell.

I have a question: where did the blue data port connection go that used to be here?

Screenshot 2023-08-21 at 2.15.40 PM.JPG

On the 4680 MY AWD there's nothing in that same location...

IMG_8737 Large.jpeg