Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Auto Pilot Pricing. Is it Worth it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm an early EAP buyer, but not FSD. I am very happy with all the old EAP has and think the $5k is good. I would not like just buying the TACC for $3k. Navigate on Autopilot is a great thing, especially if you mainly commute on a series of highways. It does the exits very well.

In the same position myself - trying to decide if it's worth it. Had the EAP trial and the only thing that seemed useful was the TACC - but still hard to stomach $4k for something that much cheaper offer for free (minus steering/lane change abilities). Also, as I read the FSD option, it "requires autopilot" . - so is it really $11k for a current owner to go from no Autopilot to FSD? ($4k for Autopilot + $7k for FSD)

I have sent a message to Tesla to see if they will honor the $3k price for those of us who have never at any point had an opportunity to buy any AP features at $3k. Hopes are not high (i'm sure the focus will be on FSD pricing for those who already bought AP) but maybe if enough of us chime in, something could be done.

At $4k if that's what it comes to? I'm on the fence. On the one hand I really considered buying at $5,500 after my trial in September, and Summon and Autopark are both 100% useless to me, so at $1500 less it should be a slam-dunk? Mainly I just want the TACC, although Autosteer has its occasional benefits. On the other hand, still $4k (not too far off the original $5k price that I passed on) with NO future functionality updates? I'll have to think about it for a while...

Early adopters of the Model 3 that opted out of EAP. Now more affordable ($4,000 more doable for me than the earlier $7,000) for the upgrade without Navigate on Auto Pilot, summon and parking. Worth it or not. Go...
Personally I think buyers of the new AP are getting a better deal than EAP buyers. TACC and Autosteer can be real stress relievers if you often drive in bumper-to-bumper traffic or make long highway trips. Summon, Autopark and NoA are mostly party tricks with little practical value in my experience, and are not very reliable. After playing around with them a bit initially, I never use them now.

Reactions: OPRCE and OCR1
Personally I think buyers of the new AP are getting a better deal than EAP buyers. TACC and Autosteer can be real stress relievers if you often drive in bumper-to-bumper traffic or make long highway trips. Summon, Autopark and NoA are mostly party tricks with little practical value in my experience, and are not very reliable. After playing around with them a bit initially, I never use them now.
I use N-0n-A whenever I can. Have used summon once and never used Autopark.
When traveling long distances, N-on-A is just a better version of Autosteer, plus the car rarely get confused passing freeway exits.

I do like having access to basic summon, because when you need it, you'll really need it. :)
I don't see any real need for advanced summon, but some people will benefit from it.

I'm seriously considering paying the $3K for FSD (from EAP) to get the faster computer and get access to red light and stop sign detection.

I use N-0n-A whenever I can. Have used summon once and never used Autopark.
When traveling long distances, N-on-A is just a better version of Autosteer, plus the car rarely get confused passing freeway exits.

I do like having access to basic summon, because when you need it, you'll really need it. :)
I don't see any real need for advanced summon, but some people will benefit from it.

I'm seriously considering paying the $3K for FSD (from EAP) to get the faster computer and get access to red light and stop sign detection.
Why do you use NOA instead of the autodrive? All it adds is an indicator that you should change lanes and does it for you once you initiate the indicator. If it changed lanes and all that jazz by itself, that's one thing.. but if you still have to manually intervene, where's the value?

Reactions: Alketi

I'd agree with this right now. Summon is very occasionally actually really useful - I've used it probably ten times as often as a party trick compared with actually needing it, and I've never needed or really trusted Autopark.

However, as Tesla continues sorting out Nav on Autopilot it'll become more relevant, and if they ever get the advanced Summon to the point you can actually use it at malls and the like it'll be something to see.

Why do you use NOA instead of the autodrive? All it adds is an indicator that you should change lanes and does it for you once you initiate the indicator. If it changed lanes and all that jazz by itself, that's one thing.. but if you still have to manually intervene, where's the value?

1) Why not? With EAP, N-on-A is a free extra feature.

2) It does successfully navigate most freeway interchanges

3) The manual intervention is quite minimal. You can ignore the suggestion or take it. Just lightly press the indicator stalk to accept the suggestion.

4) Did you miss the point I made about highway exits? With N-on-A, the car knows to ignore ambiguous highway exits.

allegedly with the next update it will do all the jazz by itself

Supposedly it will be able to do lane changes without intervention soon. The problem in my view is that the lane change recommendations suck. They are usually too late, too early, or just plain unnecessary, and in somewhat heavier traffic NoA is often unable to change lanes at all because it isn't assertive enough. Navigating interchanges sucks too, especially the cloverleaf variety (where it usually drives way too slow if it works at all). It is of course possible that they will improve it to a point where it becomes useful. If they ever get to the point where it can drive unsupervised that would be really cool. I have my doubts though.

1) Why not? With EAP, N-on-A is a free extra feature.

2) It does successfully navigate most freeway interchanges

3) The manual intervention is quite minimal. You can ignore the suggestion or take it. Just lightly press the indicator stalk to accept the suggestion.

4) Did you miss the point I made about highway exits? With N-on-A, the car knows to ignore ambiguous highway exits.
i have EAP and ive played around with NOA, but i don't use it. i'll just use autopilot and exit myself when it's time.

Early adopters of the Model 3 that opted out of EAP. Now more affordable ($4,000 more doable for me than the earlier $7,000) for the upgrade without Navigate on Auto Pilot, summon and parking. Worth it or not. Go...
TACC is totally worth the cost of the new AP option. But people on a budget may certainly forgo it, as if you have never used a “smart” cruise control feature before it may be difficult to envision just how useful it is.

Auto Steer is nice, but TACC is awesome!

Reactions: OPRCE
Navigate on Auto Pilot will continue to improve and in time will truly be “Full Self Driving”. That could happen as soon as the end of this year. What it does right now is just the first iteration.

When Auto Pilot first came out in late 2015 it was primitive compared to what it does now, 3 1/2 years later. And what we have now will seem primitive a few years from now.

Navigate on Auto Pilot will continue to improve and in time will truly be “Full Self Driving”. That could happen as soon as the end of this year. What it does right now is just the first iteration.

When Auto Pilot first came out in late 2015 it was primitive compared to what it does now, 3 1/2 years later. And what we have now will seem primitive a few years from now.
so if that's the case and i have EAP, spending 3k on the ability to see red lights and stop signs is not worth it.

I got EAP at time of purchase and have done over 14k miles, probably 75% on EAP.
Honestly the best thing I ever did.
Commute is effortless - I don't even bother taking shortcuts any more, especially if they take me off the highway. I don't bother changing lanes and keep a wider follow distance. Just sit and chill listening to music and looking at the other drivers with their stress-gripped steering wheels and intense forward focus.
Long distance is even better, i can drive twice as far with less stress and arrive at our destination relaxed.
Could never go back.
Once I get my tax credit I'll be dropping the 3K to get FSD

Reactions: Alketi