Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Auto Pilot Pricing. Is it Worth it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The main benefit for me of EAP was automatic lane change. That's not included in the be autopilot, right? Only in FSD?

Define Automatic. Seriously, Tesla has been creating several different shades of automatic lane change of late.

Pretty sure that the new Autopilot only version will continue to change lanes on its own when you signal to direct it to do so - that's been a part of every previous variation of Autopilot.

The car won't suggest lane changes like eAP cars do now in Navigate on Autopilot, or just change lanes on its own like eAP cars are expected to in the near future, though.

Edit: Now I'm not sure. Unlike the ordering form and other sources I've seen, the price reduction blog post included "Automatic Lane Change " as a FSD feature. No explanation of what that meant. I'm still guessing that's changing lanes without confirmation and AP will change lanes on a turn signal, but it's really unclear.

Last edited:
Ugh, the value of my M3 with FSD prepaid keeps going down. I paid $8k for EAP and FSD and now it looks like I would have been able to get both after the fact for $5k.
I am very disappointed at how Tesla rolled out this change. I paid $8K for FSD for one reason — because Tesla told me that it would cost MORE to add later. IMO, those who paid $8K should receive a $3K refund or at least a $3K credit toward their next Tesla purchase.

The “Early Access Program” is worthless. It does not provide early access to anything.

I have sent a message to Tesla to see if they will honor the $3k price for those of us who have never at any point had an opportunity to buy any AP features at $3k. Hopes are not high (i'm sure the focus will be on FSD pricing for those who already bought AP) but maybe if enough of us chime in, something could be done.

At $4k if that's what it comes to? I'm on the fence. On the one hand I really considered buying at $5,500 after my trial in September, and Summon and Autopark are both 100% useless to me, so at $1500 less it should be a slam-dunk? Mainly I just want the TACC, although Autosteer has its occasional benefits. On the other hand, still $4k (not too far off the original $5k price that I passed on) with NO future functionality updates? I'll have to think about it for a while...
Good points. No
At $4,000 not worth it for me. I would probably buy it if it was $1,500 or $2,000
Boom! Upgrading to Autopilot and Full Self-Driving Capability