Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Battery - Tesla or Enphase?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Verbatim from the video, at the exact moment you linked:

"You see, in a grid down mode when you're using an AC coupled battery the battery has no ability to throttle the solar power output. It's either all or nothing."

1) He says nothing about Tesla specifically, either for the Powerwall or for Tesla PV systems. The Powerwall is AC coupled so it is implied that the Powerwall has this limitation.
2) His statement is 100% incorrect. AC coupled batteries can use the microgrid frequency to signal to inverters to curtail. Both types of inverters Tesla installs in the US support this functionality and it's exactly how the Powerwall supports this scenario.

We can have a discussion as to how good this method is or comparing and contrasting it to fully integrated battery + PV systems but the statement is not correct.
Context is important. The video was about comparing a Tesla vs Enphase setup.

• Disagree
Reactions: gpez
Context is important. The video was about comparing a Tesla vs Enphase setup.

At the very start of the video:
"Enphase Ensemble. Is this the Tesla Powerwall killer? In today's video I'm going to be telling you 3 reason why the Enphase Ensemble beats the Powerwall battery."

He literally says "battery" every time. No mention of Tesla PV. And regardless of what it's comparing, it's wrong - Tesla PV systems support this.

Please take this down.

Verbatim from the video, at the exact moment you linked:

"You see, in a grid down mode when you're using an AC coupled battery the battery has no ability to throttle the solar power output. It's either all or nothing."

1) He says nothing about Tesla specifically, either for the Powerwall or for Tesla PV systems. The Powerwall is AC coupled so it is implied that the Powerwall has this limitation.
2) His statement is 100% incorrect. AC coupled batteries can use the microgrid frequency to signal to inverters to curtail. Both types of inverters Tesla installs in the US support this functionality and it's exactly how the Powerwall supports this scenario.

We can have a discussion as to how good this method is or comparing and contrasting it to fully integrated battery + PV systems but the statement is not correct.

Aren't Tesla installs currently only using PV + their Powerwall+ which uses a string inverter? I didn't think it's possible currently to get microinverters from a Tesla install.

I'm not talking about what a third party has done or can do since when I was researching for my own install, no installer could give me any timeframe of powerwall availability at all (most said 6+ months if that, they didn't sound confident neither).

I think it’s time for y’all to go off grid today after the batteries are near full and report on your results haha. Who has which to test?

Enphase Micros + Powerwall
Enphase Micros + Enpower
Tesla Inverter + Powerwall
SolarEdge + Powerwall
Many have done just that.

And we lost power once with my Enphase mircos + PW and had the same cycle pattern (it could just be the way it is configured.)

Same here. I wired a manual transfer switch between my gateway and my backup loads panel. I can run my generac 7500W generator to power my entire backup loads center and allow all the sun to charge my PW's during the day if need be.

Would love to learn more. Would you mind posting your set up and experiences, maybe in a new thread? I'm considering augmenting my system with something similar.

Would love to learn more. Would you mind posting your set up and experiences, maybe in a new thread? I'm considering augmenting my system with something similar.

I'm not sure if there's something similiar already as a forum topic. This OP did discuss using a generator as an intigrated feature so me posting about it here showing how you can do it with the Tesla system might be appropriate. @jjrandorin Would it be okay to post my setup of a manual transfer switch between the gateway and the backup loads center here?

I'm not sure if there's something similiar already as a forum topic. This OP did discuss using a generator as an intigrated feature so me posting about it here showing how you can do it with the Tesla system might be appropriate. @jjrandorin Would it be okay to post my setup of a manual transfer switch between the gateway and the backup loads center here?

Sure, I dont have any issues at all with that.

Great! Thanks for the quick answer @jjrandorin.

Disclaimer: I am NOT a licensed electrician in any way, shape or form. Those that are DIY'ers and would like to repeat what I'm showing you please do so at your own risk. I won't be held responsible for anybody who injures or kills themselves or others by attempting an installation as shown below.

This honestly is fairly basic. I wanted a manual transfer switch so that if my panels were blown off my roof by a hurricane, I'd have some sort of backup power. If they manage to survive the hurricane, now I have the sun, the powerwalls and the generator to survive on.

This is mostly going to be pictures showing my setup and how I extended the wiring in the gateway to a manual transfer switch and then back over to the backup loads center. The manual transfer switch is designed to backup an entire house or whatever else you may need. The one I used is sold by Home Depot and is called EZ-connect. They're sold in multiple configurations.

The below is my original configuration after installation minus the transfer switch. You can see that the two far left panels are my gateway and backup loads center.

20200812_091624.jpg

Below is a picture of the transfer switch I added myself. I had to redo the wiring from a junction box to the left and installed new liquidtight conduit.
20210912_181116.jpg

Below is a picture of the A/C disconnect going to the gateway. And yes the black plastic cover is removed in the gateway to show the wiring.
20210912_183603.jpg

I used new 3/0 wire to extend the wire from the gateway load lugs to the manual transfer switch. This just show the wire coming from the gateway and passing through the backup loads center on their way to the transfer switch.
20210912_183502.jpg

This shows the wires coming from the gateway through the backup loads center to the manual transfer switch. They enter in to the top of the switch. I then routed the existing wire between my gateway and the backup loads center back over to the backup loads center out of the bottom of the manual transfer switch. Then they are secured in to the top lugs of the backup loads center.
20210912_183531.jpg

The generator plug is wired with #10 wire since I have a 30 amp generator. I wired the neutral and ground directly in the backup loads center. And FYI, all these panels are sub panels so all the grounds and neutrals are separated. The main panel is and should be the only panel that has neutral and ground bonded together. I also bonded any metal conduit fittings to the panel ground.
20210912_183615.jpg

The panel manufacturer. I know the handle looks like it's in the off position but it's actually set to the utility position. It bothers me but that's how the labeling, slot and lever are designed.
20210912_184138.jpg

That's pretty much it in a nutshell. Let me know if you have any questions. Total cost was around $700 or so for the parts and $0 for my time lol.

Last edited:

Disclaimer: I am NOT a licensed electrician in any way, shape or form. Those that are DIY'ers and would like to repeat what I'm showing you please do so at your own risk. I won't be held responsible for anybody who injures or kills themselves or others by attempting an installation as shown below.

This honestly is fairly basic. I wanted a manual transfer switch so that if my panels were blown off my roof by a hurricane, I'd have some sort of backup power. If they manage to survive the hurricane, now I have the sun, the powerwalls and the generator to survive on.

This is mostly going to be pictures showing my setup and how I extended the wiring in the gateway to a manual transfer switch and then back over to the backup loads center. The manual transfer switch is designed to backup an entire house or whatever else you may need. The one I used is sold by Home Depot and is called EZ-connect. They're sold in multiple configurations.

The below is my original configuration after installation minus the transfer switch. You can see that the two far left panels are my gateway and backup loads center.

View attachment 708712

Below is a picture of the transfer switch I added myself. I had to redo the wiring from a junction box to the left and installed new liquidtight conduit.
View attachment 708713

Below is a picture of the A/C disconnect going to the gateway. And yes the black plastic cover is removed in the gateway to show the wiring.
View attachment 708714

I used new 3/0 wire to extend the wire from the gateway load lugs to the manual transfer switch. This just show the wire coming from the gateway and passing through the backup loads center on their way to the transfer switch.
View attachment 708715

This shows the wires coming from the gateway through the backup loads center to the manual transfer switch. They enter in to the top of the switch. I then routed the existing wire between my gateway and the backup loads center back over to the backup loads center out of the bottom of the manual transfer switch. Then they are secured in to the top lugs of the backup loads center.
View attachment 708716

The generator plug is wired with #10 wire since I have a 30 amp generator. I wired the neutral and ground directly in the backup loads center. And FYI, all these panels are sub panels so all the grounds and neutrals are separated. The main panel is and should be the only panel that has neutral and ground bonded together. I also bonded any metal conduit fittings to the panel ground.
View attachment 708717

The panel manufacturer. I know the handle looks like it's in the off position but it's actually set to the utility position. It bothers me but that's how the labeling, slot and lever are designed.
View attachment 708718

That's pretty much it in a nutshell. Let me know if you have any questions. Total cost was around $700 or so for the parts and $0 for my time lol.

Thanks for sharing! This is interesting.

If I understand your set up the MTS actually disconnects all of your home loads from the Powerwall and PV side and allows you to run the home off of the generator physically separated from the Powerwall + PV side? I'm guessing too your Powerwall system has no idea you have a generator configuration because from it's perspective the generator doesn't ever exist?

That was an approach I hadn't really considered and was interested in a switch at the Gateway input side that would act as the grid. This config seems simpler with the only drawback that you can't charge the Powerwall from the generator.

View attachment 708712

View attachment 708713

View attachment 708714

View attachment 708715

View attachment 708716

View attachment 708717

View attachment 708718

Good info, and this can be an automatic transfer switch if you choose. Customers who want a generator, have the ATS integrated between the Tesla gateway with all the generation, and the essential loads which needs a backup to the backup.

• Informative
Reactions: X-pilot

View attachment 708712

View attachment 708713

View attachment 708714

View attachment 708715

View attachment 708716

View attachment 708717

View attachment 708718

Whooooaaaaa another 200A fatty disconnect. Any time there's a 200A disconnect I give an upvote.

Did they raceway your solar inverter output through your 200A disconnect?? Vines needs to print you up a placard describing this clever sorcery 🤔

Thanks for sharing! This is interesting.

If I understand your set up the MTS actually disconnects all of your home loads from the Powerwall and PV side and allows you to run the home off of the generator physically separated from the Powerwall + PV side? I'm guessing too your Powerwall system has no idea you have a generator configuration because from it's perspective the generator doesn't ever exist?

That was an approach I hadn't really considered and was interested in a switch at the Gateway input side that would act as the grid. This config seems simpler with the only drawback that you can't charge the Powerwall from the generator.

It's no so much that the generator doesn't exist it's that the gateway doesn't perceive there's any load on the house when the MTS is in the generator position.

Which brings us to your second point about the generator not being able to charge the powerwalls. Since the gateway doesn't see any load it directs all of the sunlight to the PW's. So there's a really good chance during an extended power outage that you could charge the PW's up enough during the day to shut the generator off at night and let the PW's power the home.

The best thing is you never have to shut the A/C disconnect. Just switch the MTS between generator/PW as needed based on sunlight/PW SOC.

Good info, and this can be an automatic transfer switch if you choose. Customers who want a generator, have the ATS integrated between the Tesla gateway with all the generation, and the essential loads which needs a backup to the backup.

All true but an ATS/generator setup would be significantly more expensive than the manual setup above.

It's no so much that the generator doesn't exist it's that the gateway doesn't perceive there's any load on the house when the MTS is in the generator position.

Which brings us to your second point about the generator not being able to charge the powerwalls. Since the gateway doesn't see any load it directs all of the sunlight to the PW's. So there's a really good chance during an extended power outage that you could charge the PW's up enough during the day to shut the generator off at night and let the PW's power the home.

The best thing is you never have to shut the A/C disconnect. Just switch the MTS between generator/PW as needed based on sunlight/PW SOC.

I think we're saying the same thing - I was just noting that the Powerwall system does support a direct generator configuration and some people have done it that way. Yours is way less complex but with the small drawback of not being able to charge the Powerwalls during an outage. I actually really like it and will have to see if I can get some sort of MTS setup myself and power my house from a generator or my Volt...

I think we're saying the same thing - I was just noting that the Powerwall system does support a direct generator configuration and some people have done it that way. Yours is way less complex but with the small drawback of not being able to charge the Powerwalls during an outage. I actually really like it and will have to see if I can get some sort of MTS setup myself and power my house from a generator or my Volt...

Ah okay. I'm sorry. I think I misunderstood you. I'll be honest, I did not realize there was support for direct generator configuration. I would think for sure that the inverters would have to be off as tug of war would occur between the generator and the inverters. I would think that'd you have to setup an import power limit in the gateway at a minimum so you don't trip the breaker on your generator. I have 4 PW's so they could bring in well over what my generator is rated for.

Can you link any thread or post where someone has that direct generator configuration?

I guess if worse came to worse you could take the bottom wires from the MTS, snip the lugs off and wire those two wires in to a 30 amp breaker in the backup loads center. Then switch the MTS back to utility. I have one spare space in there that could accommodate another breaker. I would definitely have the inverters off if I were even to attempt this. I would definitely setup an import limit in the gateway. You would definitely have to shut your main breaker. Lol, this would not be legal at all.