Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Battery - Tesla or Enphase?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ah okay. I'm sorry. I think I misunderstood you. I'll be honest, I did not realize there was support for direct generator configuration. I would think for sure that the inverters would have to be off as tug of war would occur between the generator and the inverters. I would think that'd you have to setup an import power limit in the gateway at a minimum so you don't trip the breaker on your generator. I have 4 PW's so they could bring in well over what my generator is rated for.

Can you link any thread or post where someone has that direct generator configuration?

I guess if worse came to worse you could take the bottom wires from the MTS, snip the lugs off and wire those two wires in to a 30 amp breaker in the backup loads center. Then switch the MTS back to utility. I have one spare space in there that could accommodate another breaker. I would definitely have the inverters off if I were even to attempt this. I would definitely setup an import limit in the gateway. You would definitely have to shut your main breaker. Lol, this would not be legal at all.
I think you're completely misunderstanding the generator connection. The Gateway and the grid cannot see the generator power. The MTS or ATS in a different installation, is between the Gateway and the backup home loads. The generator can only feed the loads and no power flows back toward the Tesla Gateway or the grid. When you have an ATS, it only activates when the Powerwalls shut down due to overload or low battery.

Reactions: h2ofun
I think you're completely misunderstanding the generator connection. The Gateway and the grid cannot see the generator power. The MTS or ATS in a different installation, is between the Gateway and the backup home loads. The generator can only feed the loads and no power flows back toward the Tesla Gateway or the grid. When you have an ATS, it only activates when the Powerwalls shut down due to overload or low battery.

I don't see how I'm misunderstanding the generator connection. What you're saying, minus your last sentence is exactly how I installed the MTS. Did you even read what I wrote before making such a statement?

It is true, I did not realize there was an ATS configuration that would activate in the event that the PW's shut down due to overload or low battery.

I don't see how I'm misunderstanding the generator connection. What you're saying, minus your last sentence is exactly how I installed the MTS. Did you even read what I wrote before making such a statement?

It is true, I did not realize there was an ATS configuration that would activate in the event that the PW's shut down due to overload or low battery.

Combining Systems | Powerwall Support has details about integration, though explicitly mentions you cannot charge from the generator. I don't know if this is a technical limitation (something related to grid forming challenges with the Powerwall inverter vs generator?) or another fallout of the ITC tax credit rules that you must charge your Powerwall from PV.

Combining Systems | Powerwall Support has details about integration, though explicitly mentions you cannot charge from the generator. I don't know if this is a technical limitation (something related to grid forming challenges with the Powerwall inverter vs generator?) or another fallout of the ITC tax credit rules that you must charge your Powerwall from PV.

Well, either way, the way I have it setup now is legal and safe and in the event of an extended power outage, it still allows the PW's to charge from PV during the day while the generator can run my house separately.

Well, either way, the way I have it setup now is legal and safe and in the event of an extended power outage, it still allows the PW's to charge from PV during the day while the generator can run my house separately.
I would only use my generator if I have no battery power, which happens automatically. But this happens SO little, I really do not worry about it.

Yeah this is super helpful as I'm thinking through my system.

We have only one Powerwall and so none of the 240v appliances (A/C, dryer, oven, level 2 EV charger) are backed up. Our installer made this happen by repurposing our electrical panel as the backed up loads panel and moved those four 240v circuits to a panel that sits before the TEG - during a grid outage that panel and the circuits are de-energized. This also means there are no double pole breakers in the backup panel since they're all only 120v circuits.

I also have a 1200w inverter harness setup for my Volt. In the case of a prolonged outage when the sun is not sufficient to run the house I intend on running extension cords to some reachable appliances such as the garage freezer and kitchen fridge to shed that load from the Powerwall, in effect doing exactly what your MTS does @Flick75.

What I'm wondering now is if I could wire in an MTS between my backup panel and the TEG for my Volt harness. I'd have to be extra careful not to overload the inverter but could easily put a 10a or 15a breaker or fuse between. If there's a prolonged outage I'd flip the MTS and plug the Volt in to the generator input. That way I could power up to 1200w of house loads off of the car. Biggest question I have is that the inverter is single phase 120v and the backup panel is 240v split phase. I don't think its actually a problem but I am not an electrician :)

Sorry, now that I look back, I realize that I quoted the wrong post.

Reactions: Flick75
Total cost was around $700 or so for the parts and $0 for my time lol.

All true but an ATS/generator setup would be significantly more expensive than the manual setup above.

Nah, I have a 22KW generator with 2 ATS , one for each 200 amp subpanel. They were not that much money. And I LOVE they are automatic, and can run 1 or both panels if I run out of battery and or solar.

Wow, so you have a 22kW generator with 2 ATS installed on two 200 amp subpanels for not much more than $700? That's impressive.

I never said that

I stand corrected. You never did say that it cost not much more than $700. My 7500W generac generator I've had a few years now did cost around $950. So I'll bump the total up to $1650.

What is your definition of "They were not that much money."? I would think a setup like you have installed would cost significantly more than my $1650 MTS setup.

I would imagine you payed at least $5K-$15K if not more for that setup and in my mind that's a significant amount of money thus my statement above about an ATS costing significantly more than an MTS setup.

Last edited:
Yeah this is super helpful as I'm thinking through my system.

We have only one Powerwall and so none of the 240v appliances (A/C, dryer, oven, level 2 EV charger) are backed up. Our installer made this happen by repurposing our electrical panel as the backed up loads panel and moved those four 240v circuits to a panel that sits before the TEG - during a grid outage that panel and the circuits are de-energized. This also means there are no double pole breakers in the backup panel since they're all only 120v circuits.

I also have a 1200w inverter harness setup for my Volt. In the case of a prolonged outage when the sun is not sufficient to run the house I intend on running extension cords to some reachable appliances such as the garage freezer and kitchen fridge to shed that load from the Powerwall, in effect doing exactly what your MTS does @Flick75.

What I'm wondering now is if I could wire in an MTS between my backup panel and the TEG for my Volt harness. I'd have to be extra careful not to overload the inverter but could easily put a 10a or 15a breaker or fuse between. If there's a prolonged outage I'd flip the MTS and plug the Volt in to the generator input. That way I could power up to 1200w of house loads off of the car. Biggest question I have is that the inverter is single phase 120v and the backup panel is 240v split phase. I don't think its actually a problem but I am not an electrician :)

I can't really speak to what you want to do, but I would consult an electrician about your idea and see what they come back with.