Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New "Download My Data" Option in Tesla App

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

MorrisonHiker

Mar 8, 2015
Colorado
I updated the Tesla app yesterday. I was thinking/hoping the new Download My Data option was going to have all historical data. It appears to only contain the same summary data that is actually used to draw the graphs in the app. I was hoping that by downloading the Lifetime data, it would show ALL data since the day the system was turned on. It had two lines of data in it: totals from 2018 and totals from 2019. :(

I had held off on setting up a connection to PVOutput.org because we'd heard better reporting was coming to the app. This is not the data I was waiting for. :(

As others mentioned in another thread, we no longer have inverter production numbers. Previously (on the Solar City site), I was able to see the individual production data for each inverter.

• Informative
Reactions: outdoors
I updated the Tesla app yesterday. I was thinking/hoping the new Download My Data option was going to have all historical data. It appears to only contain the same summary data that is actually used to draw the graphs in the app. I was hoping that by downloading the Lifetime data, it would show ALL data since the day the system was turned on. It had two lines of data in it: totals from 2018 and totals from 2019. :(

Yeah...I was kinda disappointed by this too...but not surprised. I wonder if they even have all my raw data still stored (as opposed to aggregated)...my Powerwalls are only 6 months old but I've had Solar City solar for almost 10 years now.

Going to keep my homebrew data logger running, going forward.

Bruce.

I appreciate that I can go to a specific day to read numbers. I used to have 1 day before I lost "yesterday's" numbers. No more!

Now if there's just an API description to read out the data, I can automate more of my daily reporting.

I appreciate that I can go to a specific day to read numbers. I used to have 1 day before I lost "yesterday's" numbers. No more!

Now if there's just an API description to read out the data, I can automate more of my daily reporting.
Yeah, it's nice being able to go back to each day but it would be much better if we could select the month, date and year instead of going one day at a time.

Yeah, it's nice being able to go back to each day but it would be much better if we could select the month, date and year instead of going one day at a time.
Yes, that is definitely horrible UI, and there's no quick reset to TODAY either!

I'm sure this tiny part will get more polished as time goes by with the base-functionality there. The export is much like Ecobee's, not that exciting.

I keep getting slightly tempted to write a better app and alternate UI, but not quite ..

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
I will keep using my user interface.

Attachments

• EFD8A074-9E67-49E8-951B-BEF1C80E0EDA.png
    EFD8A074-9E67-49E8-951B-BEF1C80E0EDA.png
    321.3 KB · Views: 323
  • 7516C5B0-DDA3-44C3-B1E6-0045203394D3.png
    7516C5B0-DDA3-44C3-B1E6-0045203394D3.png
    294.6 KB · Views: 225
  • AE3B997E-B97D-472D-A351-147D38F450EC.png
    AE3B997E-B97D-472D-A351-147D38F450EC.png
    251.6 KB · Views: 210
I only have back to when my PWs were installed in May. All the 7 months of solar before it isn’t accessible. If I really wanted it, I guess I could get it from Solar City before Thursday. But what a mess at this point.
We still have all of our data since installation last summer but if I wanted daily values from the app, I would have to download them each day, one by one. They have the daily data so it's hard to understand why they didn't provide a way to download it all at once. :(

We still have all of our data since installation last summer but if I wanted daily values from the app, I would have to download them each day, one by one. They have the daily data so it's hard to understand why they didn't provide a way to download it all at once. :(

The cynical software product manager in me says: Because that'd be more work. The functionality that's provided is (about) the minimum amount of work you can do to provide the functionality described by "Download Historical Data" (i.e. downloading the data that the app already has in memory to produce the graphs on screen). See "Minimum Viable Product". :confused:

Bruce.

Right because you had solar and PWs installed at the same time. :D If you have PWs installed ‘afterwards’ it seems to ‘reset’ the data from Tesla’s POV. There is the solar page but the data is a mix of solar and PW and isn’t really useful.

Going forward of course new clients will never have had SC so, not a problem?

Wonder it Tesla thinks they are done or if more updates are coming?

The cynical software product manager in me says: Because that'd be more work. The functionality that's provided is (about) the minimum amount of work you can do to provide the functionality described by "Download Historical Data" (i.e. downloading the data that the app already has in memory to produce the graphs on screen). See "Minimum Viable Product". :confused:

Bruce.
Exactly. I was pointing out to others that they are only allowing you to download the data that was already used to display the graph. Another hour of work and they could make something useful and ZIP up all the historical data and allow you to download all historical data. A few more hours and they could allow you to select an actual date range, etc.!

Reactions: NuShrike
IMHO, they should add all Powerwall and solar systems to the Tesla account web site and under "Manage" for that system, provide the web based controls to download the data that you want with date ranges and granularity selections. This is not a lot of work. It's just a web interface to a database query.
Exactly! Most users aren't going to be using their mobile devices to export and analyze their solar data. Tesla should have something similar to (or better) than what they used to offer on the Solar City website. A rough site would only take a few hours to set up.

I had held off on setting up a connection to PVOutput.org because we'd heard better reporting was coming to the app. This is not the data I was waiting for. :(

As others mentioned in another thread, we no longer have inverter production numbers. Previously (on the Solar City site), I was able to see the individual production data for each inverter.

FYI: this site is still up and pulling data similar to the old power guide: My SolarCity Account - Customer Login. We can hope they are so unorganized that they forget and leave it up long term.

I have been able to tap into my Powerwall gateway web interface that can be used to output to PVoutput but I am not sure I can get the individual inverter info from there. I think I need to tap the solar city gateway thing I have.

I called Tesla to say hay why is my Powerwall not on the main tesla login for me, I see my car, why not the PW. They said it is not on the main website, only the app., and they said we do not show you have a PW, because a 3rd party installed it not Solar City. So Stupid.

Anyway Powerwall Companion is now working again, per the author.