Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New driver experience to date.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
School let out next to Areté Auto Salon, Rochester, NY as we pulled out of building getting the front wrapped, etc. the car immediately drew crowds and all sorts of comments. (If in the Rochester, NY area this is the place to go.)

The car is best described as smooth, quiet and incredibly comfortable. Acceleration is as described.

Traffic awareness: side mirrors are way too small. Vehicles on the right side drop off the screen as they approach abeam of me so I am left with a blind spot. THIS IS MY MAJOR COMPLAINT. I haven’t used self steer yet. Lane changing is a problem because traffic awareness is on the screen not the mirrors(even my Tacoma has that).

Speed control takes getting used to. Using the brake by habit to slow while this is on will negate the previously set speed. I have to get used to hitting the right stalk. I amazed to follow a car to a stop light. It perfectly followed to a stop creeping up closer than the set distance then seemed to wait as a real driver would to follow the car back up to speed without me doing anything.

Radio: no AM is a real problem as that is my source of NPR. Sound quality to my newest gen hearing aides is fabulous.

Auto high beams: they go on and off much more often than I would do and has to be gotten used to. Night driving is great w these headlights. Haven’t used the fog lights but I don’t expect much as most are more decorative than useful.

Auto wipers: great.

Seats: having never owned a luxury car, I have a poor comparison. But the seat is like a lounge chair to my defective back. The adjustments are a phenomenon.

Mobile app: works great. But don’t freak out if it doesn’t work because you have to be in the car turned on to make it pair first.

Screen: glare is a problem. Maybe it’s my age but some things are not intuitive but easily learned. Speedometer location is fine and as easy as looking straight down and to my trifocals eyes easier than the BMW HUD.

Aerodynamics: I’ve only driven in rain so far and have been surprised to notice that the windshield seems to get less road water thrown at it.

Floor mats: Tesla trunk mats fit well but are flimsy compared th Weathertech. I am using their trimmable floor mats in the cabin until fitted ones are available. These work fine.

Glass roof. I sit forward of the glass visibility so I see no purpose for it.

Pearl white is beautiful, little too white to my taste as I like a slightly warmer color and could use like an 1/8 teaspoon more mica.

All in all: this car gets 6 stars out of 5. Other than the right side blind spot this car is as close to perfect as I can imagine. I can’t wait to go in a local car show parade playing the sound of a mufferless ice monster out the window (joking of course).

Nice write up.

For the missing AM radio and NPR, you should be able to stream it. NPR publishes podcasts available in TuneIn. There should also be several NPR radio stations live streaming through TuneIn. This uses the LTE connectivity, which after a year, you’ll need to pay for.

The other option is to subscribe to NPR podcasts on your phone and play them in the car via Bluetooth.

Just a couple suggestions on how to work around the lack of an AM radio. I had stopped listening to radio many years ago after getting frustrated with all the ads. Before the 3, music was streamed from my phone (either CD rips or podcasts). Now, I use streaming music instead of my copies of CDs. Still play podcasts off the phone because the podcast interface on the Tesla lacks a couple personal required features.

Nice write up.

For the missing AM radio and NPR, you should be able to stream it. NPR publishes podcasts available in TuneIn. There should also be several NPR radio stations live streaming through TuneIn. This uses the LTE connectivity, which after a year, you’ll need to pay for.

The other option is to subscribe to NPR podcasts on your phone and play them in the car via Bluetooth.

Just a couple suggestions on how to work around the lack of an AM radio. I had stopped listening to radio many years ago after getting frustrated with all the ads. Before the 3, music was streamed from my phone (either CD rips or podcasts). Now, I use streaming music instead of my copies of CDs. Still play podcasts off the phone because the podcast interface on the Tesla lacks a couple personal required features.

I live in the LA area and really missed listening to KNX1070 Am news channel, till I accidentally bumped into it on an FM channel 101.1 HD2. You might try exploring the FM channels for NPR.

• Informative
Reactions: ai4px