Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Federal EV Charger installation rebate for 2020 is retroactive back through 2018

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I read that the recently passed budget has a 30% federal rebate for EV charger installs and that the rebate is retroactive.

https://ww.electrek.co/2019/12/18/u...s-motorcycles-fuel-cells-again-retroactively/

We had installed a Tesla charger earlier this year so I hope this means we can file for the Federal rebate when we file our 2019 taxes. Anyone know how it works to obtain this rebate? Is there a form somewhere to fill out and I hope it includes the cost of the charger equipment plus labor.

Your tax software will have the forms. If you installed one for the past years in the article you can modify/amend your return. The rebate includes everything about the installation up to a net credit of $1000 if I recall correctly from last time.

One caveat: I found from when I did this in 2017 that the EVSE/charger rebate is AMT limited. If you have other deductions like high mortgage or state taxes, you may not get this $1000. Real PITA after all the discussion and back and forth involved.

Note that the EV car credit (and solar credit) is different. I’ve gotten that both times. But the charger one got wiped out totally.

Let your tax software take care of it for you for 2019. For past years I think you will need to wait for an updated form and then amend the return but be sure to check for AMT. I don’t know if software will be updated for past years or not.

Retroactive credits are weird as the article discusses.

Your tax software will have the forms. If you installed one for the past years in the article you can modify/amend your return. The rebate includes everything about the installation up to a net credit of $1000 if I recall correctly from last time.

One caveat: I found from when I did this in 2017 that the EVSE/charger rebate is AMT limited. If you have other deductions like high mortgage or state taxes, you may not get this $1000. Real PITA after all the discussion and back and forth involved.

Note that the EV car credit (and solar credit) is different. I’ve gotten that both times. But the charger one got wiped out totally.

Let your tax software take care of it for you for 2019. For past years I think you will need to wait for an updated form and then amend the return but be sure to check for AMT. I don’t know if software will be updated for past years or not.

Retroactive credits are weird as the article discusses.

Super useful. Thank you!

For the benefit of a friend of mine who has not yet installed her Tesla charger, if she gets one installed in 2020, would this rebate cover 30% of her cost? I guess this works especially well for those who also have a portion of the cost covered by a state rebate!

Super useful. Thank you!

For the benefit of a friend of mine who has not yet installed her Tesla charger, if she gets one installed in 2020, would this rebate cover 30% of her cost? I guess this works especially well for those who also have a portion of the cost covered by a state rebate!
From the Electrek article it does cover 2020. And yeah great for those with a state/local contribution also.

This is great news! We originally put in 14-50 outlets several years ago and were able to claim the tax credit on 2015 taxes. We spent $3000 when we upgraded to wall connectors in 2018 so it will be nice to get 30% of that back.

Thanks for the heads-up! Not sure how I missed this back in the day, but looks like I will be able to go back and amend my 2015 and 2016 returns for my garage 14-50 installs (and annoy coworkers who were gloating at the time over how much the electricians were charging)...

Previous required that the charger must be professionally installed by a licensed electrician to be qualified for the credit. Isn't that still required? I read the document and I did not see that.