Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New FSD Subscription Model Might Hurt Current FSD Owners Resell Value?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was thinking it might, especially if they price FSD monthly price around $100 to $150. I think if it's $200 or more it won't hurt it as much. For buyers who changes car more often, they will probably look for one without FSD enabled. I also think a lot of people might only subscribe FSD when they go on long road trips then cancel after. I would definitely reconsidered purchasing FSD if they announced this back in March and probably wouldn't had included it. What do you guys think?

Edit: I think if they keep subscription model like purchase model where the price will go up if they add features will also help retain value for the people who purchase their car with FSD.

Last edited:
Why would it hurt re-sell value? I thought FSD does not transfer over to the new owner if you decide to sell the car. Can anyone else chime in?

If anything, I am hoping a subscription service can transfer from car to car. Meaning if you have FSD for M3, then buy a MY, the FSD transfers over.

Why would it hurt re-sell value? I thought FSD does not transfer over to the new owner if you decide to sell the car. Can anyone else chime in?

If anything, I am hoping a subscription service can transfer from car to car. Meaning if you have FSD for M3, then buy a MY, the FSD transfers over.
It does transfer for private sales. That's why it holds its value. Of course subscription can transfer. Just like you subscribe Comcast in your home, if you move you can subscribe again right? Only unknown factor is if subscription price goes up over time(I think it will) will Tesla grandfather the price you first subscribed with or they will raise current subscribers price also. This will keep people from unsubscribing and resubscribe if they let people keep their grandfather price.

Reactions: preilly44
I think this could be good news for people with FSD. Elon will not enable a subscription service until FSD really is worth $7000. In today's situation, while most of us don't think it's worth that much , enabling subscription will likely significantly hurt FSD sales (subscribe, not worth the hype, might unaubscribe, but definitely won't buy it any more). Hope to see FSD getting significantly better this year!

Over time, Tesla selling FSD by subscription is likely to increase resale value of cars with paid-up FSD.

As Tesla adds more capabilities, the monthly subscription price for FSD should increase as demand increases, making cars with lifetime FSD more valuable than without it.