Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Used value of FSD?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How do I go about figuring out the used value of FSD?

I ordered a MXP in Sept with the FSD transfer option. It's arriving next week as a 2023 model. Because the price was $5k less in Sept plus I'm getting a $1k discount for being a Cybertruck reservation holder, the total car is $6k cheaper than me ordering a 2024. In addition I will be able to transfer my FSD to it where if I order a 2024 I cant do that.

The FSD is coming from my 2018 M3 that I'm selling soon. I'm trying to decide whether to keep the '23 or order a '24. I think the '24 will be worth $6k more on resale so that is a wash. The big difference is that my 24 would not have FSD and the 23 would have it. I find FSD useless so I get no benefit from it. But what's the resale benefit of FSD?

Anyone know?

I'm trying to decide whether to keep the '23 or order a '24. I think the '24 will be worth $6k more on resale so that is a wash
I don’t expect an early 2024 to have notably any more value than a late 2023. I would not walk away from the current $6k discount.

As for FSD value on the 2nd hand market, no, it has not been very much difference to the companies that buy cars. There are individuals, tho, who will pay more for a used car with FSD. If I were in the market for a used Tesla, I would only look at those that have FSD.

Reactions: Lance From Jax
About a year ago when I was shopping for a used Model 3 from Tesla direct I estimated that FSD was adding $3-4k for 2019-era cars.

At a guess non-Tesla sales see less value from FSD and the value today may be a bit less than I saw a year ago.

$2 to $3k typically in a private sale.

As a FSD trade in value I've seen some sites give less than $1k.

Through Tesla I'm not sure, but it costs them nothing in the end, they can turn it on or off as needed in inventory to make the next used car sale.

Uh, your 2023 incoming is $6K cheaper and has FSD. And you are considering to abandon it and order a 24. Which is exactly the same car. Just to move forward to the 2024 model year? Does not make any sense to me. The resale difference between 23 and 24 will be absolutely minimal a few years down. The mileage, condition, market trend will affect it way more than your 23 versus 24 model year. It does not even have significant upgrades that make the 24 more desirable.

As for FSD value on the 2nd hand market, no, it has not been very much difference to the companies that buy cars. There are individuals, tho, who will pay more for a used car with FSD. If I were in the market for a used Tesla, I would only look at those that have FSD.
Just make sure that it actually does have FSD. I've been to two different dealers advertising used Model Ys with "self driving", only for them to tell me that that only referred to the hardware which comes with every Yesla, not the software license.

Reactions: Bigriver