Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Guy: General Tesla Questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi folks. Thanks for having me.

I am very interested in a Tesla Model S, and hope to purchase one in the near future. I have done a bit of research, but would like the opinion of some real Tesla owners regarding a few questions I have. Thanks for taking the time to reply!

1. How good is the Model S Air Conditioning? I live in Vegas and when it hit 119 F, the A/C in my current car is on max.
2. Should I not consider a dark color car due to the heat?
3. How does the Pano roof work with the sun and heat? Is it a greenhouse?
4. Any advice or issues with the 21" Turbine wheel for daily driving?

Probably my biggest question:
5. Buy a CPO car or new? What are the differences or drawbacks with the CPO warranty?

Thank you!

I am very interested in a Tesla Model S, and hope to purchase one in the near future. I have done a bit of research, but would like the opinion of some real Tesla owners regarding a few questions I have. Thanks for taking the time to reply!

1. How good is the Model S Air Conditioning? I live in Vegas and when it hit 119 F, the A/C in my current car is on max.

5. Buy a CPO car or new? What are the differences or drawbacks with the CPO warranty?

Thank you!

I'm in S FLorida,I know decent heat too.

1) Seems to be OK. I can be quite comfy in the front with fan on 8 or 9 (11 is max). Not sure about back seat, although it has a vent for them. Mom didn't complain. Highest I have delt with is about 105, so your 119 might be pushing a bit. Others from your area will know.
2) Maybe. I've always had black cars with black interiors in FL for 25+ years. It's a little hotter, but I cope. I just like black on black.
3) You can get shades for them. I notice some heat, but not intense. It already has a UV blocker built in. My tint guy wouldn't tint as he said he'd been told it might crack the glass. Others on here have tint an no issues...

M

Thank you!

1. Good. I live in SoCal and have driven to Vegas in the summer often. Precool your car before you get in and it doesn't matter what color you get which gets to
2. Choose your favorite color.
3. Pano roof does a great job of reflecting and shedding heat,
4. 21" are fine for daily driving as long as your roads are excellent. The minute you start to introduce potholes and curbs, avoid. They cost much more and have a much shorter lifespan.
5. Most CPO still have existing warranty left. CPO warranty supplements that beyond 50K miles.

Last edited:

Thank you!
1) Decent. Not as good as other luxury cars but give it a few weeks and you will get use to it. When I'm the only one driving I do close all the other vents so I can get more air flow. Usually I have it on max for about five minutes then I put it to 50%.
2) I love black and will only buy black. Heat doesn't seem like an issue.
3) It does have factory tint but I did tint the pano roof and no heat gets in, it's incredible. I do have my whole car tinted as well as the front windshield. I just like the look of tint.
4) If you are going for look then YES it's a must. Just be prepared to get new tires every 15-20k miles. I have them and I think the look is well worth it.
5) I purchased mine brand new and pick it up from the factory. I am going to always purchase new, that's just me though.

Below are some pictures of the beast!
IMG_2104.jpg

IMG_2129.jpg

A/C is fine b

Same as any car

I heard some complain about it.

In Michigan where we have potholes everywhere I would not suggest 21"

Lease the car... I've had my car for 18 months and I'm already jealous of the new stuff.

-- Its bad. The AC is hella weak. So is the heat. You can use the app to remotely cool/heat the car, but it just doesn't keep up when its really hot, and on top of that it sounds like a jet engine. So much for the quiet peaceful EV drive, with a lawnmower strapped to the front doubling up as an AC.

-- Personal choice. Definitely tint all glass though.

-- Not quite a greenhouse, but it does let in some heat. I put transparent tint on my car's pano and it helps.

-- 19's are better. 21's are the high heels, look cute, but super impractical. Northeast, I'd say stay away from 21's, but las vegas, maybe your roads are better.

-- Can't buy extended warranty on CPOs. And I'd suggest not getting a very old CPO, the newer cars are more reliable and better.

Last edited:
5. Most CPO still have existing warranty left. CPO warranty supplements that beyond 50K miles.

Uhh no! If you buy a CPO at 35K miles, you are covered until 85K. Not 100K.
So 50K/4 years from the date of purchase (basically same warranty as new) - except you cannot buy extended warranty on top on a CPO.

And given Tesla's ludicrous repair costs, extended warranty or selling the car in 4 years are the only two sensible choices. But your risk tolerance may vary.

-- Its bad. The AC is hella weak. So is the heat. You can use the app to remotely cool/heat the car, but it just doesn't keep up when its really hot, and on top of that it sounds like a jet engine. So much for the quiet peaceful EV drive, with a lawnmower strapped to the front doubling up as an AC.
I'm surprised it took that long for someone to say how bad it is.

My wife's ICE has a MUCH stronger AC. That being said, it's usable.

Personally OP I think the A/C is just fine here in So Cal on even the hottest days (and I've driven it to Phoenix as well) but I need it at 10 or 11 to stay chilled. Which is fine - I don't see the issue. To me that means the a/c is just fine but the lower settings are not that great.

Thank you!

1) I live in Phoenix, with a 2012 dark blue P85 with Pano Roof. The AC works great in my opinion.
2) The car can handle the heat, but yes, a lighter color might be a bit cooler and easier to keep clean.
3) Do NOT skip the Pano. You will love it, and it doesn't add to heat much if any.
4) 21s look amazing, but 19s are WAY more practical. I started with 21s, but switched.
5) I bought my used before there was even the CPO program which offers even better warranties and have had no problems.