Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New hotspot won't connect: am I doing something wrong?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Recently obtained a ZTE Velocity 2 mobile hotspot. My Model 3 refuses to connect. I've tried everything, including reboots of the car and the device, but it won't connect. In fact the car also produces this error: "Unable to obtain IP address. Please check DHCP server settings. Every other device I have connects -- my Model S, iPhone, ipads, and computers. Is Tesla wifi garbage or am I doing something wrong?

Without a wifi connection downloading software updates are impossible. In fact, yesterday I spent over an hour trying to get any device to connect to the car's wifi, including my iPhone hotspotAll produced the same error.

Finally my iPhone hotspot connected and the software update downloaded. But it took way longer than it should have.

Sounds to me like you have enough signal or it wouldn't get to that point. It seems more like a login problem to me.

Looking at https://www.zteusa.com/media/wysiwy...city_2_User_Guide_English_-_PDF_-_5.06MB_.pdf
I see that unit supplies both a Guest Wifi and the Main Wifi. Make sure you are using same one with the car as you do with the phone.

Also make sure the Security Type setting (WPA/WPA2) matches between the hotspot and the car.

I have had no trouble with WiFi but use Unifi Access Points.