TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

New hotspot won't connect: am I doing something wrong?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by artsci, Nov 17, 2019.

1. artsci

artsci Sponsor

Recently obtained a ZTE Velocity 2 mobile hotspot. My Model 3 refuses to connect. I've tried everything, including reboots of the car and the device, but it won't connect. In fact the car also produces this error: "Unable to obtain IP address. Please check DHCP server settings. Every other device I have connects -- my Model S, iPhone, ipads, and computers. Is Tesla wifi garbage or am I doing something wrong?

Without a wifi connection downloading software updates are impossible. In fact, yesterday I spent over an hour trying to get any device to connect to the car's wifi, including my iPhone hotspotAll produced the same error.

Finally my iPhone hotspot connected and the software update downloaded. But it took way longer than it should have.

2. J1mbo

J1mbo Active Member

It is pretty poor. Outside chance that the antenna isn't connected but lots of people suffering similar issues.

Apparently Google Mesh works well. YMMV

3. SageBrush

SageBrush 2020: Drain the Sewer

Did the model 3 connect successfully prior to the ZTE ?

My car has an excellent connection to an Apple Airport Extreme that is about 15 feet and one drywall/stucco wall away.

4. airpor41

airpor41 Member

Sounds to me like you have enough signal or it wouldn't get to that point. It seems more like a login problem to me.

Looking at https://www.zteusa.com/media/wysiwyg/att-velocity-2/AT_T_Velocity_2_User_Guide_English_-_PDF_-_5.06MB_.pdf
    I see that unit supplies both a Guest Wifi and the Main Wifi. Make sure you are using same one with the car as you do with the phone.

Also make sure the Security Type setting (WPA/WPA2) matches between the hotspot and the car.

I have had no trouble with WiFi but use Unifi Access Points.