Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is it normal to take delivery of new Tesla Y model without the latest software version?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just took delivery of a new Tesla Model Y, but the installed software is not the latest. The service delivery guy just told me to hotspot it to my device given I don't have Wifi near my apartment so hotspotted to my iphone. I did as instructed, but have zero luck getting the download bar to move even after waiting for up to 30 minutes. I rebooted the system (holding the two knobs on the steering wheel, with/without pressing the break pad), but still no luck. I believe it's connected to my hotspot as I see data being downloaded from "Tesla". I tried to contact service via the app, but the app just tells me to follow the typical instructions and just hangs! There is no contact number to ask Tesla service folks (in France), and unfortunately the Tesla folks at the delivery site are so unhelpful and frankly not helpful at all, feel like a customer inquiry is a nuisance to them. Any more ideas on how to troubleshoot this software update problem?

Yes, this is normal. All cars are delivered with the version of software that the factory uses, it's never the latest build that is sent to all owners. It typically takes a few weeks before your newly delivered car is added to the list of cars that can receive the newest software. Calling Tesla or making a service request will not change this, you just have to wait. The car works now, and eventually it will receive updates like everyone else.

• Informative
Reactions: KerryOH
ok - understood, thanks for your reply. my screen says the upload is ready for download and to connect to Wifi, so this should be ignored, when ready they will release it on their end, ie. after a few weeks? interesting as i've not read this anywhere on the manual nor did the tesla service person tell me, just said to connect to wifi / hotspot to download..

If the car or the mobile app tells you that an update is available then that is great! The next step is to have the car download it. The car needs a wifi connection. Go in the car's settings and give it a wifi connection, for example your home wifi when you are parked at home. If that doesn't work, make a hotspot from your cellphone and connect the car to that.

yes, the problem is when i try to hotspot w/ my device, the download bar doesn't move, stuck at 0 b/s... very strange. I rebooted, tried everything. checked if others experience the same issue and followed the hard/soft reboot, but still no joy. I don't think it's my hotspot as my 5G is getting over 1G/sec.. i requested for service on the app and uploaded screenshot as evidence, but given this is in France, i'm not holding my breath for a reply any time soon.

software updates are going to be the least significant thing that you'll have to care about

1. cars take time between production, transport, and final delivery to customer. it wont always have the latest version
2. once car is delivered to customer, it may take a additional weeks before car is in the pool for updates (compared to 'everyone else')

yes, the problem is when i try to hotspot w/ my device, the download bar doesn't move, stuck at 0 b/s... very strange. I rebooted, tried everything. checked if others experience the same issue and followed the hard/soft reboot, but still no joy. I don't think it's my hotspot as my 5G is getting over 1G/sec.. i requested for service on the app and uploaded screenshot as evidence, but given this is in France, i'm not holding my breath for a reply any time soon.

the download bar and progress is not completely linear and active bit-by-bit. sometimes it will seem to be stuck or at 0 transfer rate, but it will be pulling data... or doing something else. leave it connected (whether to home wifi or mobile hotspot or mcdonalds internet or whatever), give it a bit of time, and it will eventually be done.

walk away, take a breather, itll take care of itself.

I see that 10% of cars are still on that build…I figure it’ll be my turn eventually?
Well, it looks like today was my turn…when I woke up this AM my phone told me that 2023.44.30.25 was ready for me to download. Updated just now…took about 20 minutes. I still don’t think that’s really the latest though…there must be a 2024 version of the software, right?

Fortunately after contacting Tesla service they remotely installed new firmware, then I was able to download and update to latest software.
Since I posted that I hadn’t gotten any updates, I’ve not gotten two OTAs and am now on 2024.3.6. I tested AutoPark yesterday: pretty cool. I also got an email from Tesla letting me know I had a free month of FSD added onto my current subscription (I got 3 months when I bought the car in January)