Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Hyundai Kona beats my P85D by 40 miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is a very exciting development. An independent test in the UK shows that the new Hyundai Kuna will do 233 miles on a full charge. Thats about 40 miles more that my tesla-firmware-restricted P85D which has now been consigned to short journeys only. At the moment though its probably worth watching to see how this goes. If Hyundai can give assurances hat they wont install restrictive software its a winner for me. Would be good to see if, unlike Tesla, they offer a useable genuine warranty on the battery too.

I would say that unless the same test is done by the same testers for the Tesla and the Kuna, any comparison of results is somewhat suspect.
Also, what battery warranty is Tesla offering in the UK? The warranty here in Canada is pretty good, in my opinion.

I would say that unless the same test is done by the same testers for the Tesla and the Kuna, any comparison of results is somewhat suspect.
Also, what battery warranty is Tesla offering in the UK? The warranty here in Canada is pretty good, in my opinion.
Yes I agree. If you go into a UK Tesla showroom the sales staff will tell you that theres an 8 year warranty against battery defects. They will tell customers that battery decline is minimal. When I tell them that mine has declined by 20% they say 'thats unheard of' and 'that would obviously qualify for battery replacement under warranty' ....but once Tesla have stepped in, installed restrictive software without your permission restrict , screwed your travel plans they go quiet and even arrogantly tell you the battery isn't faulty and so does not qualify for replacement. The tesla warranty is a chocolate teapot! Do not trust them!

While the battery is warrantied, I'm told in models X and S the reduction of range is not warrantied. Sort of like the brown border on the console screen, "it's not a defect, it's cosmetic". Loss of capacity is par for the course, let us know when it totally quits working.

Yes I agree. If you go into a UK Tesla showroom the sales staff will tell you that theres an 8 year warranty against battery defects. They will tell customers that battery decline is minimal. When I tell them that mine has declined by 20% they say 'thats unheard of' and 'that would obviously qualify for battery replacement under warranty' ....but once Tesla have stepped in, installed restrictive software without your permission restrict , screwed your travel plans they go quiet and even arrogantly tell you the battery isn't faulty and so does not qualify for replacement. The tesla warranty is a chocolate teapot! Do not trust them!
On what basis have you concluded that battery capacity has declined by 20%?