Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New install set for 8/27

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello All, my install is set for this Thursday 8/27. My only concern is that I haven’t had a site visit or anyone telling me that my electrical panel needs to be upgraded. I would’ve figured they would’ve done the site visit 1st then pulled the permits. I started my order in 8/11 and it seems they have been moving along pretty quickly. I’ll get my cooler full of drinks ready for the install crew.

Reactions: Ormond
Yes, I didn’t think I needed the Powerwall as we really never have any rolling blackouts here and I would rather save the cash and wait for the price and technology to change to make it worth it.

Worth it is a very relative phrase. Since you don't have outages, you're waiting for the Powerwall to become cost effective.

On the other hand, this time tomorrow I'll be sitting in the dark listening to 75 mph winds pound the side of my house, waiting for the 100 mph ones to get here. It would be "worth it" to me to have a couple of Powerwalls to furnish lights, a fan or two, my television, power to my refrigerator which is full of non replaceable deer meat, etc etc. I'd love it if someone in my area would come install some solar and Powerwalls. I think I may have convinced a company which is about 100 miles away to come do it. I think they're hedging to do it in their slow season, whenever that is, if they can get Powerwalls.

In my case the power was only off for a couple of hours. I’ve heard similar stories from others. It kind of depends on your situation though. If they need to move and extend a large number of circuits then it’s possible that your power could be off for a while. My installers did say that they try to keep the outage to a minimum.

In my case the power was only off for a couple of hours. I’ve heard similar stories from others. It kind of depends on your situation though. If they need to move and extend a large number of circuits then it’s possible that your power could be off for a while. My installers did say that they try to keep the outage to a minimum.
Thanks very much for the quick reply.

I've read it's a 2 day job with panels plus battery. Anyone know which comes first? I assume the power out is the battery and wiring day which logically is day 2 if you assume day 1 are the physical panels.

My 15.12kW solar/4 powerwall system was a two day install and they both happened at the same time. They had two electricians who worked on installing the powerwalls, running the conduit, and installing the inverters and the other electrical panels. Then there was a team of 5 or 6 guys working on the roof installing the panels.

As I recall they got all the panel mounting hardware and about 3/4 of the panels mounted on the first day as well as the powerwalls mounted on the wall and the inverters and electrical boxes installed. They got as much of the new wiring done as possible in the new boxes, then they cut my power for a couple of hours at the very end of the first day to finish getting everything connected.

The second day was spent mounting the rest of the panels and running and connecting the DC wiring, then commissioning and testing the system.

My 15.12kW solar/4 powerwall system was a two day install and they both happened at the same time. They had two electricians who worked on installing the powerwalls, running the conduit, and installing the inverters and the other electrical panels. Then there was a team of 5 or 6 guys working on the roof installing the panels.

As I recall they got all the panel mounting hardware and about 3/4 of the panels mounted on the first day as well as the powerwalls mounted on the wall and the inverters and electrical boxes installed. They got as much of the new wiring done as possible in the new boxes, then they cut my power for a couple of hours at the very end of the first day to finish getting everything connected.

The second day was spent mounting the rest of the panels and running and connecting the DC wiring, then commissioning and testing the system.

So your power disconnect was couple hours the first day... and they can complete the remaining panels and wiring without additional power disconnects? With exception of testing of course.

I'm asking because I'm working from home due to COVID. Looking to where I need to block some work calendars out due to lack of internet and power. =)

So your power disconnect was couple hours the first day... and they can complete the remaining panels and wiring without additional power disconnects? With exception of testing of course.

I'm asking because I'm working from home due to COVID. Looking to where I need to block some work calendars out due to lack of internet and power. =)

Correct. The gateway needs to be installed between the power coming in from your utility and all of your backed up circuits (this would be all of your circuits if you are doing a whole house backup). So while most of the new wiring can be done while the power is still on they will need to shut off your power to wire the gateway in before your backed up circuits.

If your meter is part of your main panel right now, then that means that they will need to move any circuits from that panel to a new panel behind the gateway, since there would be no way to put the gateway between the meter and your circuits in the combined panel. Depending on how many circuits need to be moved, this could take some time.

If your main panel is separate from your meter then they’ll likely just connect that whole panel to the gateway and connect the gateway to the meter. This would take much less time since they don’t have to move a lot of circuits.

I’m sure you could ask the electricians at the beginning of day one when and how long they anticipate that your power will be out.

4ABAB94A-0D87-4EDE-B937-9D3E61C4A4F4.jpeg

72D8C494-A113-4081-A6CA-E939FF5B16EB.jpeg

Finished product. These panels almost look like they were used. I’m not sure if anyone has experienced this before.