Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New lights, odd notches in light pattern

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

PhilipRs

Always Making
Mar 2, 2020
Keller, TX
I've driven my new MS with the Refresh 2.0 lights a couple times now at night. The low beams have a very odd pattern on the oncoming lane side. Not the expected notch so they don't shine in that lane, but something very different. You can see it in the photos below. The notches are more pronounced than the image shows. It completely goes away when the high beams are on.

Is this what others are seeing, or do I have an unusual problem?

lights.png

• Informative
Reactions: jebinc
My pattern is a bit different, but it's super off and has a weird notch as well. I have an appointment next Monday, so once I get into that I'll let ya know what they say.

Image attached for the crap show my lights are

Attachments

• 20220329_194425.jpg
    20220329_194425.jpg
    335.6 KB · Views: 137
  • Informative
Reactions: Big Earl
My pattern is a bit different, but it's super off and has a weird notch as well. I have an appointment next Monday, so once I get into that I'll let ya know what they say.

Image attached for the crap show my lights are
Thanks. I'm going to see if I can find a slight hill to take another photo with as I think that will really show the super odd notch. I'm anxious to hear about your appointment. I have a mobile one monday that was scheduled my my missing trunk shelf and software update, but the update came today, like a few others I see.

It's in. You getting bumped make their saying they haven't worked on any new lights yet make sense. The were quite happy to see my video showing the issue.
Yeah I sent in multiple pictures, still curious how they're going to do it at my house
View attachment 793232 Is it reasonable to expect a perfect straight line cutoff across left and right beams?
They aren't supposed to look like ours, that's for sure xD

So, no problem found. Though both the initial tech review guy and review by another tech, who both saw my video and agreed it's wonky... "Inspected both headlight assemblies. Found the condition is due to the high beam shutters. It is a normal characteristic of the vehicle headlight system. No further work needed."

So, the high beam shutters prevent the even lighting of the road by the low beams.

Disappointing.

I'd wager that the only way to see an improvement will be once Tesla releases matrix headlight software that allows for the movement of those shutters.
I believe you can't see the issue by throwing the lights on a wall. There are two very slight notches at the top that show up on a wall. I'm pretty sure those are normal. But the one that is concerning is the huge dip in the light on the left side that only shows up when driving at night. They didn't have the car at night so there's no way they were able to see it. I've written them about this so I hope there's something more to be done on it.,

At least I'm not upset I have the older style headlights anymore... 🔦
So, no problem found. Though both the initial tech review guy and review by another tech, who both saw my video and agreed it's wonky... "Inspected both headlight assemblies. Found the condition is due to the high beam shutters. It is a normal characteristic of the vehicle headlight system. No further work needed."

So, the high beam shutters prevent the even lighting of the road by the low beams.

Disappointing.
So....essentially short of them maybe leveling mine out, The weird pattern of the light is just the nature of it -_-* great lol