Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

new M3 (70km) gearbox oil leak

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi!
I received my new Model 3 Performacne last wednesday... On saturday I had the possibility to have a look under my new car. I recognized oil under the gearbox seal, oilfilter and oilpump!

Now I am waiting for an answer from my delivery service center (Frankfurt, Germany) if I can come around because the tesla app shows the 1th of april as earliest appointment.
I am wondering where the oil come from...

I read about missing gearbox breather in early m3 in a service bulletin paper..
anyone had this issue before?
thank you!

regards, phil

20200321_152853.jpg 20200321_152926.jpg 20200321_152936.jpg

a few people have had messages on the computer about gearbox oil needing to be checked.

i havent had it , but coincidentally ive also seen dark spots on my garage floor. thought it was just grime coming off the car from wintry slush... but its only in the center spot of the car...hrm..

Hi!
I received my new Model 3 Performacne last wednesday... On saturday I had the possibility to have a look under my new car. I recognized oil under the gearbox seal, oilfilter and oilpump!

Now I am waiting for an answer from my delivery service center (Frankfurt, Germany) if I can come around because the tesla app shows the 1th of april as earliest appointment.
I am wondering where the oil come from...

I read about missing gearbox breather in early m3 in a service bulletin paper..
anyone had this issue before?
thank you!

regards, phil

View attachment 524620 View attachment 524621 View attachment 524622

Is this a new or used car ?
You said you have 70km’s on it but got it last Wednesday

Why did you open up the bottom. Did you suspect a problem ?

a few people have had messages on the computer about gearbox oil needing to be checked.

i havent had it , but coincidentally ive also seen dark spots on my garage floor. thought it was just grime coming off the car from wintry slush... but its only in the center spot of the car...hrm..

Are your dark spots oil or road grime. ?
It’s easy to tell which is which.
If it’s oil, do you park other cars there, or just the Tesla ?

Is this a new or used car ?
You said you have 70km’s on it but got it last Wednesday

Why did you open up the bottom. Did you suspect a problem ?

Hi! car is brand new!
I just wanted to check everything I can see because our last model 3 from 09/2019 had two loose big screws from the subframe. This time under the new car all screws seemed to be ok but then I recognized this golden brown oil...

I got an answer from Tesla this morning at 8:12am (telephone)
They said I can come in. Car was in service then from 09:00 until 11:00am.
They checked the drive unit and made a wheel alignment (steering wheel is still not accurate).

Because of the oil they told me it has to be from the dyno test because the gearbox oil is purple...
At the Service Bulletin paper SB-19-40-002 indeed I can see that the oil has to be purple and on this picture you can see that the golden brown oil is just to the black seal line, after this seal there is no golden brown oil....

I hope that I am right.
Otherwise I dont unterstand how they insert the drive unit with rests of oil underneath!? All other cars or pictures I have seen are 100% clean and dry.

getriebe.jpg