Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New M3LR 2024 battery degradation question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

New on the forum, just got my M3LR 2024 10 days ago.

I linked it with ABRP 3 days ago and, since then, I charged mostly at home (once to 100% the night before a longer trip) but supercharged couple time, once from 42% to 80% and once from 66% to 80%. The issue is, I checked battery degradation today on ABRP live data and shows 4.1% which seems pretty worrisome for 10 days and 1240km. Anyone knows how accurate this is? From what I read they use supercharger sessions to calculate. Are the above enough? Will go back down to near 0% after some more charging/driving/calibrating?
1719328129566.png

Couple more snapshots from Trips and Energy, if they are in any way useful:
1719328748883.png

The 102 km trip was from 80% to 60% battery, and, calculating by average energy would result a total battery size of 68.5 kWh (13.7 x 5, since I consumed 20% of battery on that 102 km trip), which is also quite short of the 75 kWh usable battery expected.

This one is with battery also at 80% and it's from the Energy section. Looking at the projected range and average energy here, the results seem to be pointing to an expected 75 kWh capacity but I am still confused about the other 2.
1719329126937.png

Thanks in advance for any help or opinions, would be really relieved to clear this up!

Anyone knows how accurate this is

Not very, for a brand new car and new battery. There is a buffer built into the battery that I believe is around that size.

Thanks in advance for any help or opinions, would be really relieved to clear this up!
If you really want an opinion, mine is, you could save yourself a WHOLE LOT of angst by NOT going down the "battery degradation" rabbit hole right after purchasing one of these cars.

If you really want an opinion, mine is, you could save yourself a WHOLE LOT of angst by NOT going down the "battery degradation" rabbit hole right after purchasing one of these cars.
Yeah, people come on here every week, having owned the car less than a week and have already given themselves an ulcer because they are obsessing with all of the fear mongering they have heard and believed about battery death. Just stop and take a glance in a year or two.

This one is with battery also at 80% and it's from the Energy section. Looking at the projected range and average energy here, the results seem to be pointing to an expected 75 kWh capacity but I am still confused about the other 2.
If 80%, this means 77.5kWh.

You’re fine. Trust what the car tells you and ignore the apps. The apps are fine and useful for a bunch of cool features, but you have to understand their limitations and methods. If you don’t know how they work, just ignore their output. They are a bit pointless for capacity since the car just tells you a lower limit for that. So no reason for anything else specifically for that purpose.

The 102 km trip was from 80% to 60% battery, and, calculating by average energy would result a total battery size of 68.5 kWh (13.7 x 5, since I consumed 20% of battery on that 102 km trip), which is also quite short of the 75 kWh usable battery expected.
Too short to be accurate, requires very careful metering, end result does not include buffer.

Your only problem is you have an LG pack, but that isn’t something you can control in your country, and it’s really mostly fine unless you want really fast charging. Just not a pack I would buy.

Last edited:
Reactions: AAKEE