Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Model 3, left unplugged for 5 days lost 80% of charge

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My brand new M3 lost 30% of charge (from 300mi to 200mi) after being unplugged in my garage for 72 hours. Sentry mode was the only possible culprit. Going to disable Sentry while parked at home and re-test. If validated, it would suggest using Sentry mode a bad idea if leaving car at airport parking for more than 8 days (assuming zero miles left after 9 days.) Note: Sentry mode being active was also inside a closed garage with the only "stimuli" being the blinking green LED on my furnace controller.
Yep, Sentry Mode is a battery drainer.

My brand new M3 lost 30% of charge (from 300mi to 200mi) after being unplugged in my garage for 72 hours. Sentry mode was the only possible culprit. Going to disable Sentry while parked at home and re-test. If validated, it would suggest using Sentry mode a bad idea if leaving car at airport parking for more than 8 days (assuming zero miles left after 9 days.) Note: Sentry mode being active was also inside a closed garage with the only "stimuli" being the blinking green LED on my furnace controller.

This is why they made an option to exclude your home location from Sentry mode :)

Sentry doesn’t need any stimuli to use battery. The car is “on” with camera and computers running the whole time. You can expect around 1mi/hr lost range from Sentry. Definitely not for long term airport parking... besides, will you look at a week’s worth of footage when you get back??