Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Model 3 - Phantom Drain Rate 0.83 (STATS)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a new Model 3. One week old about 800 miles.

According to STATS, and I am sure it is correct my Phantom Drain is 0.83MPH.

App wise I am using TeslaFI, and STATS. So I am wondering if it is one of them.

Or, maybe 0,83MPH is just normal and I don't need to worry about it. But looking at STATS, average is about 0.25 or so.

I am running Sentry Mode. Any suggestions on how to lower these numbers?

Thanks,
Frank

I have a new Model 3. One week old about 800 miles.

According to STATS, and I am sure it is correct my Phantom Drain is 0.83MPH.

App wise I am using TeslaFI, and STATS. So I am wondering if it is one of them.

Or, maybe 0,83MPH is just normal and I don't need to worry about it. But looking at STATS, average is about 0.25 or so.

I am running Sentry Mode. Any suggestions on how to lower these numbers?

Thanks,
Frank

Sentry Mode will use a lot of power (I don't know the numbers, I've never used it), but I would guess 20 miles per day (200W avg, 4.8kWh/day), if the car never goes to sleep. That seems to align very well with your number, coincidentally, perhaps.

Anyway, you can also unpair the apps but I doubt these two apps are causing much of an issue. Personally I would just pick one app or no app. You should unpair them both and turn off Sentry mode if you want to establish a baseline.

You should expect 3-4 miles/day baseline. No better. (This is Tesla's guidance.)

Sentry Mode will use a lot of power (I don't know the numbers, I've never used it), but I would guess 20 miles per day (200W avg, 4.8kWh/day), if the car never goes to sleep. That seems to align very well with your number, coincidentally, perhaps.

Anyway, you can also unpair the apps but I doubt these two apps are causing much of an issue. Personally I would just pick one app or no app. You should unpair them both and turn off Sentry mode if you want to establish a baseline.

You should expect 3-4 miles/day baseline. No better. (This is Tesla's guidance.)

Good idea. I just started using Sentry Mode, but that is easy to stop using.
As far as the apps, I am wondering if it's TeslaFI as STATS only pings the car when I open it, but I could be wrong.

As far as the apps, I am wondering if it's TeslaFI as STATS only pings the car when I open it, but I could be wrong.

As I said, I doubt the apps are causing much of an issue. Your problem is Sentry Mode. I would expect 4-5 miles a day drain at a maximum, with both apps running. It may not even be any different if you disable both of them. I've tried disabling Stats before and it made no difference to my drain, which is always around 3.5 miles a day (I only look for long periods of time). There are some apps that are poorly implemented which increase drain, I gather, but haven't heard bad things about either of these.

For vampire drain measurements, it really only makes sense to do them for very long periods of the car sitting unused. For example, I lost 28.91 miles in 208.6 hours. This is a very typical number and no one does significantly better than this, and there is currently no way to reduce it. For shorter periods, you can easily be thrown off by pack temperature changes, a period of time when you kept the door open, etc.

I have found that "typical" phone proximity, etc., makes nearly no difference unless you spend your day wandering around and around your car in the garage, or you park your car in your living room. The reason these things could matter is that they can transition the car from sleep (where drain might be 5-7W) to idle, where drain is 200W or so (because it heats the windshield cameras, turns on the proximity sensors, turns on the cameras, turns on the DC/DC which uses the HV battery to charge the 12V, and probably turns on the computer as well). You can determine these transitions because you will hear the contactors "double clunking" closed. (It's a slightly different, quieter sound when they open.)

• Love
Reactions: outdoors
There was some discussion that running both can clash. I'd pick one.

Also there have been real sleep issues with no Sentry and no apps.
There is one that after 24 hrs it will not sleep for 6 hours while it massages the charge port. I think this only happens below certain temperatures. Not sure of that temperature yet.

There is a apparently and another issue that if wifi is in range it tends to stay awake and connected way more than it does when no wifi is in range.

With 2019.5.15 and WIFI disabled, no apps, no sentry it's first time I've had 4 days in a row with 1-3 miles of loss. I'm not sure if 2019.5.15 got rid of the 6 hour charge port massage thing or it's been slightly warmer. I had tested no WIFI before on 2018.50.x but the 6 hr massage thing would still occur. It was hard to tell if WIFI made a difference. Now I'm convinced it does. I';; turn on WIFI when I know a pending update has been released to the masses.

With WIFI on it's more like 8-10 miles a day, just horrible.

I have disabled Sentry, and will keep it off for now. I will wait a couple days to see if the level drops.

I also enabled 'Sleep Mode' on Teslafi which is supposed to cause the car to sleep.
Looking at Teslafi, it indicates the car is Idling, for 8 hours and 35 minutes.
Maybe each time I look at STATS app on my phone or iPad it wakes up the car. So maybe I am preventing it from sleep....

I have disabled Sentry, and will keep it off for now. I will wait a couple days to see if the level drops.

I also enabled 'Sleep Mode' on Teslafi which is supposed to cause the car to sleep.
Looking at Teslafi, it indicates the car is Idling, for 8 hours and 35 minutes.
Maybe each time I look at STATS app on my phone or iPad it wakes up the car. So maybe I am preventing it from sleep....

You are probably preventing it from sleeping. Just leave it alone and let the app track it, if you trust that sort of thing. Or just check it when you’ll be away from the car for several days (probably the best option). Even in that case, I recommend picking a starting point for the measurement after the battery has cooled from driving. A cooling battery (even from 80-60F) can result in several miles of rated range change. So best to do a measurement at the same starting and ending battery temperature.

Don't check the apps so often. When it was brutally cold here in Maine, my phantom drain showed up as 0.8m/hr, but normal winter temps for me was about 0.4m/hr, and now that it's slowly warming, it's down to 0.3m/hr.

• Informative
Reactions: outdoors

Thought of another tip...on iOS, the Tesla app widget and Stats widget allow you to check the state of your vehicle without disturbing it from sleep. Caveat is that the miles aren’t necessarily up to date completely. But it is close, usually. At a minimum it allows you to check if your car is sleeping.

Reactions: Magnets!
So I looked at my Teslafi page. Seems my car was only sleeping for a few minutes each day. Last night I got an update (2019.8.3). And this morning I see the car slept over 2 hours. Yesterday I enabled Sleep Mode in TeslaFi. So maybe that changed things, or the car getting updated. But I think I will just give this some time, a week or so. Seems it is sleeping better. STATS still says 0.83 but may take a couple days to update.
Honestly I am not worried about the drain. Seeing posts here as what is normal and really it isn't that big. btw, I have solar that overproduces about 3,000 kWh a year. So that makes driving my Tesla much cheaper :)

Saw a Tweet from @StatsTeslaApp this morning. Among other things, it states that the Tesla app and Stats app have no effect on phantom drain. Also in the tweet, that Sentry mode drain rate is 1 mph. Although (and I tweeted this question) is that 1.0 mph? or 0.1 mph?
I believe they meant 0.1mph. But I could be wrong. I will post once they answer.

So, looking at TeslaFi this morning, my car slept about 3 1/2 hours last night. The longest so far. Stats now reports phantom drain at 0.8% so it is dropping. Again, this no longer worries me, and I think sleeping will increase over time, and phantom drain decrease. I have now had the car just over 8 days. Awesome car !! I am also realizing, each time I hit the accelerator to feel that power, phantom power becomes less of an issue. Whatever I try to save I can eat up very quick with fast acceleration. :) But so fun !!