Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Model 3 sitting in garage increases 2 miles on the odometer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I'm a new model 3 owner and the car has been sitting in my garage for 4 days. Every now and then I check in on the car through my phone app, but today I noticed something strange. The car when parked had 199 miles driven, which I remember specifically because I mentioned it to my wife about going over the 200 mile mark as soon as I take it out for a spin. Today I look at the app and it now shows 201 miles, a mile increase while sitting in the garage. Now no one has access to the car, I have both key cards and its locked in my garage. Has anyone heard of this or experienced something similar?

So I'm a new model 3 owner and the car has been sitting in my garage for 4 days. Every now and then I check in on the car through my phone app, but today I noticed something strange. The car when parked had 199 miles driven, which I remember specifically because I mentioned it to my wife about going over the 200 mile mark as soon as I take it out for a spin. Today I look at the app and it now shows 201 miles, a mile increase while sitting in the garage. Now no one has access to the car, I have both key cards and its locked in my garage. Has anyone heard of this or experienced something similar?
I hope you are not taking this very seriously. Battery capacity / mileage is an estimate and there are a LOT of variables even when the car doesn't move. You are talking about a roughly 0.5% change. It isn't that accurate. Many people call it a Guessometer !

I hope you are not taking this very seriously. Battery capacity / mileage is an estimate and there are a LOT of variables even when the car doesn't move. You are talking about a roughly 0.5% change. It isn't that accurate. Many people call it a Guessometer !
I believe he may be referring to the odometer, not range. But indeed a new owner could mistake one for the other.

• Helpful
Reactions: Silicon Desert
When I first read the title I thought range and was thinking 'what a noob' (although i don't own a Tesla yet, but I am constantly on here trying to gather info because it will happen!) LOL. then I caught the word odometer.... Now I am in for, well, education!!!! :p

If you drive around in reverse you can get it to go back down to 199 miles. ;)

Kidding aside, no explanation other than maybe there is a delay in how the software reports the odometer mileage? Since this car seems to be alive even when we are not in it, who knows. Maybe drive around with the odometer displayed and see if it increments properly.

Apparently on newer softwares the cars know where you’re gonna drive next... normally Tesla is trying to hide this feature from users, but in your case it must be a bug in the Neuralink behavior. Watch the presentation on Tuesday to understand better! :)

Was your last drive a 2 mile drive? The app isn't always up to date and the 199 reading may have been before your last drive even though you had driven already (especially if viewing through the widget). Once the app updated, it could have updated to the actual mileage of 201.