Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Model S owner - Front License Plate Placement and Radar Sensor Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all,

I am a new owner of a CPO 2015 MS 85D. The previous owner did not install the front license plate (fortunately for me, as I don't want any holes drilled in the nose cone). I have been searching for alternate no-drill (and low-cost) solutions for mounting the front license plate (I'm in California), and tentatively decided to use zip ties on the lower grill on either the extreme left or right. My question is: will either position interfere with the radar sensor and proper operation of Autopilot? Thanks in advance for your advice!

SoCal Buzz:

It might be worth a shot... Do you know how much a fixit ticket costs in CA?

maximizese & Raechris:

I should clarify that I'm also trying to avoid permanent tape or even removable tape if it leaves any residue (I know, picky :).
Any thoughts on whether positioning the plate on either side of the center of the lower grill will interfere with the radar sensor (AP1 HW)?

I saw the installation video for The Law. It is only attached at the bottom of the plate by 2 screws. Does the top of the license plate flap or bend at all when you are driving on the freeway?

I’ve wondered that too, but don’t have a way to see... definitely hasn’t bent. I bought an all black metal plate frame to make the plate look more finished and blend better with my car.