Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front License Plate Holder on refreshed Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I will follow-up on my earlier post to inform those who are interested that the screws/bolts do not go through the bumper as others stated here. I was able to get it off just by pulling on the bracket using a lot of force. It pulled off, but it left some of the adhesive tape. I was able to get that off just by pulling on the adhesive. Some was stuck on fairly well, so I used an old hairdryer to heat the adhesive. I was much easier to get it off once it was heated. Now I have a slick, clean front bumper without the wart (license plate bracket) on the nose.
Glad it worked out.

For those using string, I found the fishing line I used: "KATUYSHA Braided Fishing Line, Abrasion Resistant Zero Stretch Braided Lines 4/8 Strands Super Strong Superline 6Lb -100Lb Test". It it's a bit rougher than smooth line or floss so cuts through the tape a bit easier. It was $6 on Amazon. I'm sure there are others that will work too.

I was too worried about pulling hard on the plate that it might rip the paint off the bumper. I'm impressed that someone could pull it off without damage!

No heat gun or hair dryer is necessary at all. I took the front license plate holder off my 2023 Model S today in about five minutes which included rubbing the adhesive tape off the bumper.

1. Get Berkley Trilene Big Game Monofilament Fishing Line. It comes in various strengths so make sure you get the 40 pound version. I put on some gloves after I cut a piece so I wouldn't hurt my hands. You just work it in from one side and slowly saw it up and down until you are through to the other side. Left to right in my case but it doesn't matter.

2. Then I just used my thumbs to slowly roll the remaining tape off. A bit tedious but it comes off just fine in a few minutes.

3. Then I sprayed some RapidTac Rapid Remover Adhesive Remover for Vinyl Wraps Graphics Decals Stripes 4oz Sprayer on the front bumper and wiped the remaining residue off with a microfiber tower. Looks great. The RapidTac dries off and will not hurt the clear coat.

I got the two items above from Amazon but there are numerous sites from which to buy those.

The above was my post from a few months ago.

I'm ready to remove the darn thing but then I keep asking myself what if Ohio suddenly starts requiring a front plate again (very low odds I'm sure) or I decide I want a vanity plate up there (also low odds). I would be concerned about getting it back on level and centered and using an appropriate adhesive. Your thoughts please.
Beasts

I appreciate the info here, but why are these being affixed at delivery?? My M3 came with the front plate and bracket in the trunk. Let -me- make the choice. In 3+ years driving without a front plate I’ve never been stopped (in Virginia which requires one). No one cares.

My S is on order - I texted the sales guy to see if I can request the front to be free of the plate holder… we will see what he says.

I appreciate the info here, but why are these being affixed at delivery?? My M3 came with the front plate and bracket in the trunk. Let -me- make the choice. In 3+ years driving without a front plate I’ve never been stopped (in Virginia which requires one). No one cares.

My S is on order - I texted the sales guy to see if I can request the front to be free of the plate holder… we will see what he says.
I was told that since my car was leased they had to abide by the state of initial issuance. And that state requires a front plate. I'm not saying that makes sense. It was super easy to remove and absolutely no damage to the paint at all.

Or wait until it comes off on its own once water, salt, and gunk gets through the adhesive like mine when the holder with the plate completely came off while on the highway and had to spend money on one of these.

It's like you are always spending money on little things that Tesla gets wrong to fix it.

View attachment 951242

Yours must have been a one-off because I find it very hard to believe that one of these that was put on correctly from the factory could ever fall off. There is a ridiculous amount of two sided tape in addition to two screws on the bottom. While it can be removed with heat, fishing line and tools, mine would never have fallen off with any amount of water, salt, weather.

Update: I got my Model S two days ago. The gent at Tesla said the reason the Model S is delivered with the bracket is because it was crash tested with the bracket on. Sounds plausible if not ridiculous.

Anyhow - attempting to remove. I picked up the recommended fishing line but some friends of mine have discouraged me from using it. Can anyone confirm that it absolutely does NOT leave micro scratches? The dental floss I tried suffered from a woeful lack of robustness.

Update: I got my Model S two days ago. The gent at Tesla said the reason the Model S is delivered with the bracket is because it was crash tested with the bracket on. Sounds plausible if not ridiculous.

Anyhow - attempting to remove. I picked up the recommended fishing line but some friends of mine have discouraged me from using it. Can anyone confirm that it absolutely does NOT leave micro scratches? The dental floss I tried suffered from a woeful lack of robustness.
See my post above. I had just gotten my car when I removed it and I am anal retentive. You just work the line while pulling towards you. I have absolutely zero even microabrasions or subtle chaffing. And I did not get lucky. It is a reproducible effort and I would not hesitate to do it again.

They typically use a couple of horizontal pieces of thick 3M tape. You just start a corner with the line cutting in front of the tape and against the plastic of the holder. Just saw right through it. I was nervous doing it. Zero concerns now. Took about a minute maybe slightly less. I wore gloves to avoid the line cutting into my hands.

See my post above. I had just gotten my car when I removed it and I am anal retentive. You just work the line while pulling towards you. I have absolutely zero even microabrasions or subtle chaffing. And I did not get lucky. It is a reproducible effort and I would not hesitate to do it again.

They typically use a couple of horizontal pieces of thick 3M tape. You just start a corner with the line cutting in front of the tape and against the plastic of the holder. Just saw right through it. I was nervous doing it. Zero concerns now. Took about a minute maybe slightly less. I wore gloves to avoid the line cutting into my hands.
Yes, I saw your post. Working the floss though made me realize that it’s not so easy to keep it away from the bumper. I get the idea though. Thanks again.

Yes, I saw your post. Working the floss though made me realize that it’s not so easy to keep it away from the bumper. I get the idea though. Thanks again.
As you “saw” with fishing line, the car is barely being touched. It’s going through adhesive and leaving most stuck on bumper. Just pull slightly outward towards you so it’s closer to frame. I used polishing compound on bumper after removing adhesive to really clean it up. Any detailer can do this in 10 min if necessary.

I took mine off on Day 1. Fishing line as described above, plus goo gone to remove the adhesive residue, then some cleaner wax to make it look nice.

I did get a license plate wrap for the front, which I like as it works with the lines of the car and is removable if you need (I put it on a piece of PPF).

Got it done. I didn’t realize that the adhesive strips went the entire length and were horizontal x2. The Model 3 holder only had strips on the side. Cleaned it up with some water and Meguiar’s Quick Detailer.

Attachments

• 07D21097-83CF-431B-BC1E-BCDA047843EE.jpeg
    07D21097-83CF-431B-BC1E-BCDA047843EE.jpeg
    321.2 KB · Views: 34
Reactions: Beandoc