Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Model X AP "highway" definition

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Really looking at an X. For Wife buy-in, looking to save $$$ of course. Pretty sure FSD can be added later for $$$$ if becomes great, but for me pretty sure not worth $8k right now. We live in remote Northern Wis. No SCs for 2 hours, and they are all south of us, except Duluth.

So We don't drive on 4-lane 'interstate' style roads often, maybe 1 weekend every couple months. NoA with lane changes not worth $8k, and summon seems like a party show, again not worth $8k.

Question, Tesla says AP can follow speed (Adaptive cruise) and steer to follow cars on 'highways'. Since the X comes with AP and no option for EAP, does the included AP autosteer on good state and county roads with wide lanes, with good lane marking paint lines? My '19 Volt does Lane Keep Assist where is pogos back and forth between the lines and don't use much because of this(but the Volt's Adaptive Cruise is awesome and SMOOTH). Does the X AP actually STEER around sweeping corners on State roads? (Volt just drives straight though if corner even a little sharp. Not good!)

AP is head and shoulders above anyone else's production available LKA. It's NOT self driving, but pretty much down to a 15 MPH curve it's pretty reliable in my experience. Over time it's second nature what AP can or can't handle and you naturally become more alert when something is coming up and you know AP may need help. AP doesn't drive like a grandma, but unless I'm in a rush and impatient/late for a destination, I let AP do most of the driving on all streets.

Only thing you'd be missing on those roads is street lights and stop signs (and auto park can be nice, but sometimes hit or miss). Feature list keeps growing though. Navigate on city streets will be a game changer (if it works).

Really looking at an X. For Wife buy-in, looking to save $$$ of course. Pretty sure FSD can be added later for $$$$ if becomes great, but for me pretty sure not worth $8k right now. We live in remote Northern Wis. No SCs for 2 hours, and they are all south of us, except Duluth.

So We don't drive on 4-lane 'interstate' style roads often, maybe 1 weekend every couple months. NoA with lane changes not worth $8k, and summon seems like a party show, again not worth $8k.

Question, Tesla says AP can follow speed (Adaptive cruise) and steer to follow cars on 'highways'. Since the X comes with AP and no option for EAP, does the included AP autosteer on good state and county roads with wide lanes, with good lane marking paint lines? My '19 Volt does Lane Keep Assist where is pogos back and forth between the lines and don't use much because of this(but the Volt's Adaptive Cruise is awesome and SMOOTH). Does the X AP actually STEER around sweeping corners on State roads? (Volt just drives straight though if corner even a little sharp. Not good!)
My ‘20 X/LR autosteers very well on the roads you describe. Still a bit sluggish and too fast on the curviest and narrower roads. But wide roads with good markings -it’s fabulous.

PS you will read about the “ping pong effect” e.g. constant minor over correction. Gone, since last spring. Now very precise and confidence-inspiring.

So on the 20 XLR, I am reading I DON'T have to buy FSD to have it steer on county and State roads. That would be awesome!

What does FSD get then, Start/stop at Stop Signes and Red lights? Auto lane changes? Summond? And the promise of MORE. I can do without FSD for now.(1. don't drive on 4 lanes much so don't need auto lane changes. 2. Stop sign stops would be nice, but go through 1 on 10 mile trip to work and no stop lights. Live remote.... 3. Summond= party trick, not ready for public parking lots yet, but is kind of cool...)

What does FSD get then, Start/stop at Stop Signes and Red lights? Auto lane changes? Summond? And the promise of MORE. I can do without FSD for now.(1. don't drive on 4 lanes much so don't need auto lane changes. 2. Stop sign stops would be nice, but go through 1 on 10 mile trip to work and no stop lights. Live remote.... 3. Summond= party trick, not ready for public parking lots yet, but is kind of cool...)

Besides the promise of actual Full Self Driving, for now you'll get Auto Lane Change (either you initiate or the car does), Navigate on Autopilot (which will auto lane change to go around slower traffic and to get to the correct lane for interchanges and exits), stop/starts at stop signs and red lights, and Smart Summon. Elon Musk says Local Street Navigation (turns?) is right around the corner, but he's not been great on timelines. It does sound like it's the next big update, and that will require FSD.

I'm surprised that EAP isn't available, as I thought it was re-introduced as a $4 upgrade.