Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Model Y - Previously repaired; Need Suggestions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok Here is the story

OD: 1/26 MSM MYLR5 19"

EDD1: Feb - Mar 2023

EDD2: 13 Mar - 31 Mar

EDD3: 13 Apr - 7 May

EDD4: 15 Mar - 31 Mar

EDD5: 19 Apr - 22 May

Today - I texted SA that can they find me a MYLR5 19" in any color, getting tired of waiting. The SA came back with 2 options

Blue MYLR5 19" with 55 miles

Black MYLR7 19"

I got interested in Blue as Black will be above 55K (imp for state rebate)

Then he messaged that it is "Previously Repaired" and it listed at $54310. And then I spoke to him and he said that its a new car, which had some damage when it came to dealership and had some repair ($1800). He couldn't tell what it was etc. and says it is listed as new and after repair its as good as new.

I enquired about discount and asked him to assign VIN (thinking i can deny delivery if I want)

So new Blue MYLR5 19" today is 55990 and as I booked in Jan just after $500 increase the the revised price is $54490. Due to repair the discount, it will have further adjustment of $1680.

Now, didn't find anything on internet around new Tesla & previously repaired. There were some about BMW where it was damaged at a port etc. Started calling all Tesla centers in my area to understand what they think about such a case - most said it should be good and most likely a demo vehicle with someone causing a scratch or dent etc. but no one can tell the exact issue even in the system. after couple of tries, finally reached the guy who handled this car from starting and this is what he told me

"It's a new vehicle arrived with scratches from factory with no mechanical issues and they have to send it to body shop to get it fixed (that explained 55 miles). As a state law they have to declare if they repair a new car before selling and if its above certain amount. So the car was fixed and discounted"

Now I am still inclined to take this car (at least schedule delivery) based on following unless their is compelling case not to

Wait time is huge and may not be eligible for fed credit and mass rebate may run out.

Its cosmetic and have read many buyer had to get things fixed as they picked up the car

scratches and other damage can happen even after 1 day

$1680 back in pocket

I have auto loan secured at 3.2% that may not be available in Apr/may.

PS: its Austin build

So that's the story, what do you guys think?

So that's the story, what do you guys think?

Different people have different values, but "$1680 back in the pocket" is definitely not enough of a discount for "me" to accept a vehicle that is being sold with a damage disclosure.

There is a threshhold under which a car manufacturer / dealer does not even have to disclose damage. I am not sure what that threshhold is, but it isn $500.

They are going to stick the damage disclosure in front of you like its no big deal, but once you sign that, if you find anything wrong you really dont like with the vehicle, you are going to be told "well you purchased a vehicle that we told you was damaged, this is even more in spec than it would be with a brand new one".

55k is a lot of money, and for me, $1800 doesnt even come CLOSE to being enough money for me to buy a brand new car with a damage disclosure.

Now, if you are LEASING it, completely different story. I have leased BMWs previously that had damage, and I didnt care because it wasnt my car, I was going to drive it for 3 years and give it back and get a new car.

TL ; DR - for me anyway, BUY = No (not nearly enough discount), Lease = "great deal, save the money, the worst that can happen is you give it back in 3 years".

Last edited: