Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Noob Owner- Necessary accessories?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Obviously each person will have his/her own opinions on what is important. Here's all I've felt I needed to do, in order:

- 14-50 adapter for the UMC (bought from parts counter as I picked up the car)
- Window tint (on day 2) - can't handle so much glare
- Wheel cap/center cap kit so I could take off my aero covers (first week) - I put the aeros back on during long road trips
- Frunk mat (since mine didn't come with one) (2nd week) - didn't NEED it, but it just seemed wrong to put stuff in there without some kind of mat.
- Bought a used UMC generation 1 for daily use, put my original one in the frunk for trip use/emergency use. (about 3 months in)
- Homelink garage door opener add-on (about 3 months in)
- Sunshade for the front roof panel (it gets HOT where I live) (first spring)
- Wireless charging pad (yours already comes with one)

I can't comment on the center console stuff, your console is totally different than mine. That being said, I didn't feel the need to buy anything for mine.

Congrats on the new car!
Regarding screen protector.... In my opinion not worth the time or trouble unless you have a special situation like you have large dogs in the car, or you'll be delivering packages and might scuff/scratch things as you carry to/from the passenger seat. Again, just my opinion.

I would say floor mats and a screen protector are the things you want day one. Spigen and Abstract Ocean (I have the latter) are the best because of their applicators. Mine went on flawlessly and easily. It is matte, which I love because it doesn’t show finger prints as much, but the trade off is the screen doesn’t look as sharp.

I have the all-weather Tesla branded mats by WeatheTech and they’re great. But there are plenty of great third party options also.

Outside of that, I’d say wait until you’ve driven it a little (maybe a week or two) before buying any additional accessories. That way, you’ll have a better idea of what you need and want.

Last edited:
I would say floor mats and a screen protector are the things you want day one. Spigen and Abstract Ocean (I have the latter) are the best because of their applicators. Mine went on flawlessly and easily.

I have the all-weather Tesla branded mats by WeatheTech and they’re great. But there are plenty of great third party options also.

Outside of that, I’d say wait until you’ve driven it a little (maybe a week or two) before buying any additional accessories. That way, you’ll have a better idea of what you need and want.

How necessary is a screen protector?

I suppose I would put it in the same category of “necessary” as the floor mats. Actually, maybe higher than that since there’s nothing really catastrophic that can happen to your floor carpet. But there are plenty of things that could happen to a 13 inch glass display in your car. Even if it’s just scratches, you have to look at them all the time forever.

It’s an expensive component and screen protectors are cheap insurance, even the “nice ones”. I paid $45 for mine.

Reactions: Jeff Davlt
As others mentioned you can drive a while to see if you need it (especially for anti-glare). I still haven't installed mine (I got the Spigen Matte) and still have the factory film over it (still waiting on SC appointment to fix some issues), but decided to get one since it's very inexpensive and gives a peace of mind, esp. given how important the screen is to the car.

As on topic to thread, the first thing I got was all weather floor mats (just got generic Weathertech from Costco). Will probably make frunk and trunk mats myself from cutting up large vinyl floor mats available at Home Depot (the custom options are all a bit expensive for my tastes just for a mat). Other accessories I got was a USB-C to USB-C cable (given the ports in my 2021). The USB-A to USB-C adapters (which I had already) don't work as well for charging. Also got a USB card reader (already had a high endurance San Disk microSD) as the included USB is unlikely to be durable enough for Sentry Mode.

Also bought some PPF film that I will install later, although you will hear various opinions about weather it is essential.

Let's see...
Floor mats (I believe they came with the car). I did purchase the frunk mat and the trunk weather mat.
Puddle lights
Window tint
Performance Pedals
Jeda hub with a Samsung ssd
Nomad wireless phone charging pad
Center console wrap
Next purchase...Suma Performance side mirrors (the auto dimming function is too dark for me. Especially with side window tint.
I think most were necessary for me except the puddle lights and performance pedals. Enjoy your car!

I think the cheap carpet tesla uses needs more protection than the glass screen but I also don't use screen protectors on my phones and have never scratched them.

I don’t use screen protectors on my phone either. But I cycle through phones every 1-2 years. I’ve never gotten a “real” scratch, but definitely micro-abrasions. If I kept phones for 5-10 years (like you would a car), I imagine that would be noticeable on the screen.

Maybe the carpets would wear out quicker, but I can throw mats over them whenever I feel like it. If the screen is hazy, scratched, cracked, etc, you just have to deal with it or get it replaced.

Let's see...
Floor mats (I believe they came with the car). I did purchase the frunk mat and the trunk weather mat.
Puddle lights
Window tint
Performance Pedals
Jeda hub with a Samsung ssd
Nomad wireless phone charging pad
Center console wrap
Next purchase...Suma Performance side mirrors (the auto dimming function is too dark for me. Especially with side window tint.
I think most were necessary for me except the puddle lights and performance pedals. Enjoy your car!
I'd add trunk lights too as the stock lights are dim.

Reactions: G35Rocker