Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New or Used, I am sure it's been asked

Would you buy a New or Used LR AWD?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A new LR AWD with AP or used LR AWD with FSD, maybe a used PM3 if I find a good deal. Is it better to have FSD and a used 2018 maybe 2019 and just get what you get interior and exterior color OR get what you want and forget FSD?

I tested a 2020 LR AWD and it was nice, felt fast enough for me. I tested a Chevy Bolt and they aren't even on the same planet. It was free from my EMC, so I figured why not run errands in their car for a day.

Cons to Used that I can think of:
  • Gen1 seats possible
  • 310 range vs 322
  • I don't get to pick the color interior or exterior
  • I don't get to decide what wheels (I like the 18s unless I'm getting a PM3)
  • Warranty is already cut in half, BIG issue for a 2018...not so bad for 2019
  • The value of the used M3 hold value extremely well, is it worth buying used?
  • FSD isn't ready yet and maybe another year, why pay for something I am not going to use.

Did I miss anything?

Interesting question. Just by chance last night I was watching this weekly from Tesla Time News. They were talking about the same. New or Used on a 1 year old Model 3. Skoot down to about the 18:00 minute mark and listen to what they say. Bottom line: 5.5% deprecation in new Model 3 just one year old. Less than half next vehicle.

• Informative
Reactions: Jomak
Interesting question. Just by chance last night I was watching this weekly from Tesla Time News. They were talking about the same. New or Used on a 1 year old Model 3. Skoot down to about the 18:00 minute mark and listen to what they say. Bottom line: 5.5% deprecation in new Model 3 just one year old. Less than half next vehicle.

Yeah, I agree...that was one of my concerns. You can still find deals though.

Reactions: Akikiki
If you buy used directly from Tesla the warranty is pretty good. Sometimes it’s the same as new car depending on mileage. May be several Model 3 traded in this month for new Model Y. Might be best time ever to look for a used one.

Reactions: Akikiki
If you buy used directly from Tesla the warranty is pretty good. Sometimes it’s the same as new car depending on mileage. May be several Model 3 traded in this month for new Model Y. Might be best time ever to look for a used one.

They don’t offer extended warranties on M3, that’s my understanding.

You would not have to pay a second shipping fee on a new car. If its new - even inventory, the Destination Fee covers the shipping. You could make an argument not paying $2K IF they were trying to charge you mistakenly.
Yes and no. I think they have a "free" range. I got a new inventory one transferred from TX to KS and they didn't charge me (though ironically i ended up with a different VIN than the one in TX). There was a "new" demo one in CA that was discounted that they wanted 2k to transfer to KS. So I think they have a range that they will transfer free ... i don't know what the limits are though.

• Informative
Reactions: Jomak
Did I miss anything?
The new cars don't include the NEMA 14-50 adapter for the included UMC.

Also, the early cars come grandfathered into the media for life. Newer cars come with a demo period and then $10/mo for life. This includes internet radio and the sat. view and traffic display on Maps.

You don't have to get it, but sitting at a charge site running Netflix or YouTube really passes the time. If you haven't, check out ABetterTheater.com - Full Screen Apps for even more streaming options. Eventually, all Supercharger sites will have WiFi, but for now, those of us with early cars can stream to our heart's content. Good pairing with the CHAdeMO adapter. It charges fast enough that you don't bother coming back for it later, but slow enough that it's a boring wait.

If you get a trade-in car that Tesla took back they may remove this feature. They have been doing this with cars that were sold with EAP are reduced to just AP when Tesla sells or auctions them again, and FSD is stripped. You can still get it for the car but you pay full price. If you get it from a dealer or individual and the car didn't go thru Tesla then you get the same car they bought originally just with more miles on it.

Last edited:
The new cars don't include the NEMA 14-50 adapter for the included UMC.

Also, the early cars come grandfathered into the media for life. Newer cars come with a demo period and then $10/mo for life. This includes internet radio and the sat. view and traffic display on Maps.

Newer cars also don't come with Homelink- it's a $300 option you have to add after delivery.... earlier Model 3s came with it from the factory (all of 2018, and early 2019)

And yes if you get a used Model 3 from Tesla they will strip the lifetime connectivity from it if it had it originally- says so in their FAQ.