Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Order/ Battery and Travel Questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey everyone, just ordered a 75D:

My daily commute is pretty short I do however Travel 333 miles 1 way about 3 times a month. There are 3 supercharging stations along the way, so I feel ok not going to 0% between the two. I usually do 75 MPH on the interstate and I'm in FL so its pretty hot at times. Minus charging to 100% before a trip is there any special things y'all do to prepare for a trip? Also my SA explained that we get up to 400 KW free of supercharging unless we get a code? With my amount of travel I would burn through that in no time. I have read about it pretty regular on the forum but how do you get one if you don't know anyone else with a Tesla?

Hey everyone, just ordered a 75D:

My daily commute is pretty short I do however Travel 333 miles 1 way about 3 times a month. There are 3 supercharging stations along the way, so I feel ok not going to 0% between the two. I usually do 75 MPH on the interstate and I'm in FL so its pretty hot at times. Minus charging to 100% before a trip is there any special things y'all do to prepare for a trip? Also my SA explained that we get up to 400 KW free of supercharging unless we get a code? With my amount of travel I would burn through that in no time. I have read about it pretty regular on the forum but how do you get one if you don't know anyone else with a Tesla?
Preheating or cooling a car can really help with range, as well as using range node. Pmed you a code for free supercharging, can also send you a free wall charger

Reactions: Jayrod
The X is of course bigger, so more wind resistance than S. And of course the 75 is a smaller battery than 100. Both of these together = short range. So you are ending up with the vehicle that is going to gulp down the most energy and need to be refilled the most frequently and need more energy to do it.

There's nothing overall wrong with that, but just be aware of it. You are making a choice of $10,000 or so for patience. That's some big bucks you get to keep in your pocket, and the Model X 75D easily covers the 90%+ of your usage time with no hassle--great. On those longer trips, it will just mean an extra 5-10 minutes here or there to charge a bit longer or maybe one extra charging stop in exchange for the money you're saving. You need to know that going in, so you're OK with it. I personally love that tradeoff. And with good Supercharger density and spacing, it's not very inconvenient (in my opinion). I think the biggest thing that makes this easier is to NOT just sit there and wait for it, staring at the display. That will make it feel like forever. Right from the start plan to walk over to a store and get an iced tea or something. You can make 10-15 minutes disappear without really noticing it if you at least go do something.

But it does get irritating when over and over someone chose a Model X 75D and then takes their first trip and whines and gripes as if someone deceived and horribly wronged them because they are having to charge longer as a result of their choice to get the shortest range vehicle Tesla makes! If that is going to make you frustrated and angry, you should have chosen the bigger battery.

• Helpful
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
The X is of course bigger, so more wind resistance than S. And of course the 75 is a smaller battery than 100. Both of these together = short range. So you are ending up with the vehicle that is going to gulp down the most energy and need to be refilled the most frequently and need more energy to do it.

There's nothing overall wrong with that, but just be aware of it. You are making a choice of $10,000 or so for patience. That's some big bucks you get to keep in your pocket, and the Model X 75D easily covers the 90%+ of your usage time with no hassle--great. On those longer trips, it will just mean an extra 5-10 minutes here or there to charge a bit longer or maybe one extra charging stop in exchange for the money you're saving. You need to know that going in, so you're OK with it. I personally love that tradeoff. And with good Supercharger density and spacing, it's not very inconvenient (in my opinion). I think the biggest thing that makes this easier is to NOT just sit there and wait for it, staring at the display. That will make it feel like forever. Right from the start plan to walk over to a store and get an iced tea or something. You can make 10-15 minutes disappear without really noticing it if you at least go do something.

But it does get irritating when over and over someone chose a Model X 75D and then takes their first trip and whines and gripes as if someone deceived and horribly wronged them because they are having to charge longer as a result of their choice to get the shortest range vehicle Tesla makes! If that is going to make you frustrated and angry, you should have chosen the bigger battery.

Very valid points you made. The longest trip I take monthly is 333 miles with 3 SC staggered between the location. I thought about the 100 but it was just outside my finances. Maybe next time, but I def agree with what you’re saying.

I have no issues making stops and stretching. Paratrooper legs lol.

Very valid points you made. The longest trip I take monthly is 333 miles with 3 SC staggered between the location. I thought about the 100 but it was just outside my finances. Maybe next time, but I def agree with what you’re saying.

I have no issues making stops and stretching. Paratrooper legs lol.
Just wanted to check that you got my referral code

About charging to 100%...

Unless you need that extra charge to reach your destination or the first supercharger, you may not gain much in charging above 90%.

Superchargers charge fastest when the battery has less charge, as the battery gets closer to a full charge, the charge rate slows down considerably - especially when you get above 80%. Getting a 10% charge when the battery is below 50% doesn't take very long.

If you're going to stop at a supercharger, that extra 10% you're saving by going to 100% will save you only a few minutes of charging - and may not be worth spending the extra time to get the 100% charge, plus the possibility of having a battery at 100% for extended periods might lead to longer term battery degradation (Tesla doesn't provide any specifics on this).

About charging to 100%...

Unless you need that extra charge to reach your destination or the first supercharger, you may not gain much in charging above 90%.

Superchargers charge fastest when the battery has less charge, as the battery gets closer to a full charge, the charge rate slows down considerably - especially when you get above 80%. Getting a 10% charge when the battery is below 50% doesn't take very long.

If you're going to stop at a supercharger, that extra 10% you're saving by going to 100% will save you only a few minutes of charging - and may not be worth spending the extra time to get the 100% charge, plus the possibility of having a battery at 100% for extended periods might lead to longer term battery degradation (Tesla doesn't provide any specifics on this).

That’s very good information. Yeah I planned to plug everything in at 90% and see what the vehicle said it would take to get to the first SC. If it’s close say 10% maybe I should do the extra 10%? What would you consider cutting it close?

It doesn’t take any “time” to charge to 100% at home when you’re charging overnight before a trip. It’s not like waiting for a 100% charge at a supercharger (unless you’re stopping for a meal, in which case you’re not waiting then either) . Always charge to 100% before a trip if the car is waiting for you, unlike when you’re waiting for the car. It will save time at the superchsrger stop and gives you piece of mind if something happens to affect your range, such as weather or a detour. Don’t be afraid of charging to 100% before a trip-- the issue is charging to 100% and leaving the battery sitting at 100% without driving the car.

Reactions: vandacca
It doesn’t take any “time” to charge to 100% at home when you’re charging overnight before a trip. It’s not like waiting for a 100% charge at a supercharger (unless you’re stopping for a meal, in which case you’re not waiting then either) . Always charge to 100% before a trip if the car is waiting for you, unlike when you’re waiting for the car. It will save time at the superchsrger stop and gives you piece of mind if something happens to affect your range, such as weather or a detour. Don’t be afraid of charging to 100% before a trip-- the issue is charging to 100% and leaving the battery sitting at 100% without driving the car.

I have a deployment coming up next year. What should I leave the battery at when I leave?

Charge the battery to 100% when you leave home, if possible time the charge to complete before you leave. Never worry about keep 100% charge for like 12 hours but not 24 hours or more in hot climate.

During the trip set the nav to the first planned supercharger and switch to the range projection tab in the Energy app to see whether you will have enough range to get there. At 75mph you will consume faster than the prediction line, so leave at least 10-15% buffer. Arriving with 5% or less is cutting close and should be avoided.
To adjust the consumption to make it to the next supercharger without range anxiety, it is better to keep slower speed for the first half of the drive. Then speed up as you feel confident that you can make it. Speed is your best friend to manage range on an X. Don't worry about AC - it will consume negligent amount of energy if you drive 70+mph. At around 70mph, you will get rated range.
At the supercharger, always charge to 90% and set the nav to the next supercharger (or destination) to get notified on your app. If the charge reaches to sufficient level, you'll get a notification. If you keep high speed like 75+mph keep charging a little bit more.
Also choose the stall wisely. They are labeled 1A 1B 2A 2B 3A 3B etc. If a stall is occupied, choose a stall with different number. If 2B is occupied avoid 2A. They are paired and shares the same supercharger cabinet.
If you plan to eat dinner or lunch for more than an hour and the supercharger is not very congested, I'd recommend you to set the charge limit to 100% to save some time at the next supercharger.

Charge the battery to 100% when you leave home, if possible time the charge to complete before you leave. Never worry about keep 100% charge for like 12 hours but not 24 hours or more in hot climate.

During the trip set the nav to the first planned supercharger and switch to the range projection tab in the Energy app to see whether you will have enough range to get there. At 75mph you will consume faster than the prediction line, so leave at least 10-15% buffer. Arriving with 5% or less is cutting close and should be avoided.
To adjust the consumption to make it to the next supercharger without range anxiety, it is better to keep slower speed for the first half of the drive. Then speed up as you feel confident that you can make it. Speed is your best friend to manage range on an X. Don't worry about AC - it will consume negligent amount of energy if you drive 70+mph. At around 70mph, you will get rated range.
At the supercharger, always charge to 90% and set the nav to the next supercharger (or destination) to get notified on your app. If the charge reaches to sufficient level, you'll get a notification. If you keep high speed like 75+mph keep charging a little bit more.
Also choose the stall wisely. They are labeled 1A 1B 2A 2B 3A 3B etc. If a stall is occupied, choose a stall with different number. If 2B is occupied avoid 2A. They are paired and shares the same supercharger cabinet.
If you plan to eat dinner or lunch for more than an hour and the supercharger is not very congested, I'd recommend you to set the charge limit to 100% to save some time at the next supercharger.

Wow thank you for the write up. Very helpful information.

Reactions: hiroshiy
I feel like unless you need the extra 60miles the 100D provides over the 75D more than 4 times a month, its not worth the extra $16,500.

You will find NO shortage of people on here volunteering their referral code for you to get free supercharging for life :)