Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Owner - Any Top Tips for the Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Set your battery range/percentage display to percentage. New owners always freak out when the displayed range is less that the advertised range. Every other EV displays a range that's calculated based on your driving history, Tesla for reasons of their own refuses to fix the range number so that it's realistic. Tesla has an Energy Display that provides a realistic estimate of range and a lot of extra detail, use that if you want to know how much range you have left.

Other tips. For best battery life don't charge the battery beyond 90%, for daily use keep it around 75-80% and then bump it up to 90 for road trips. Once a year before a long road trip it's OK to charge it to 100%, supposedly that allows the system to calibrate correctly and to balance the batteries. I don't know if that's really true, it's something that I read on forums, but 100% once a year just before you leave on a road trip won't hurt the battery much.

Reactions: TBrownTX and Iain
Spend an hour just sitting in the car going through all the menus. Some of them are dull and boring, but playing with the audio settings (Immersive Sound, Balance) can be eye opening, and the stuff under entertainment fun.

Get used to Autopilot and it's various options on the open highway. Start slowly, learn how much turning force you have to apply to the steering wheel to keep it happy without disengaging it, learn how to set the following distance from the steering wheel, how to raise and lower speed, how manual lane changes work (if you have that feature), etc. Expect to be fully in control of the car while you're learning, until you learn how much and where you can trust it.

Don't try to show passengers all the cool features of the car while you're driving. Sure, the vents are neat, the audio settings are cool, and Fart mode will always bring a laugh, but your passengers won't appreciate that you're weaving around on the road while trying to pull up the menus to show them off, so restrain yourself. Spend some time playing with voice commands. Some of them are stupid, some whimsical, many are useful. These you can show off easily to passengers.

Yes, the car will accelerate like a bat out of hell, and like every 17 year old you'll find out that tires are expensive as a result. Restraining yourself from full throttle at zero speed will reduce your rubber consumption - you can get almost as big of a grin by using half throttle up to 20 mph/35 kph before pressing on to full throttle.

At least once a day use full acceleration. It's a great way to keep the grin going.

Figure out your charging solution. An EV is a great car if you have a good daily charging solution overnight or at work. It's more of a hassle if you have to use public chargers.

Make sure you have a TeslaCam USB Flash Drive installed, and the little camera icon has a red dot when you're driving.

Always carry one of the keycards with you, even if you're using your phone as a key. Once or twice a year, my car stops recognizing my iPhone and I have to remove it as a key and re-add it - but this requires a keycard. It'd be a bummer if it happened while you were out. And don't forget that someone else (spouse, boyfriend/girlfriend, etc) with access to your Tesla account can start the car remotely if you lose your phone/keycard. My wife left the house one day without her phone (my phone was close enough to the car to let it start and drive away), and called me an hour or so later on a stranger's phone telling me the car wouldn't start. Just pulled up the Tesla app, started the car, and she made it home.

Recognize that, once you get used to the car, you'll find that you almost never touch the screen. All the controls you actually use while driving are on the steering column.

Just have fun, and every day see if you can grin about one more tiny detail that Tesla did differently, and got right. I'm still thrilled every time I have to do a U-turn and note how much easier the 2-turn lock-to-lock steering makes that than the 3-turn that everyone else uses.

Set your drive mode to hold rather than creep. If you do that you can bail out of your car any time it is stopped and it will do everything else for you. That includes putting the car in park and locking the doors once you walk away. Don't try this with the rest of the cars in your fleet.

Also, if you park in a home garage set the locks so that they don't lock at home.

Reactions: techlogik
Immediately, carefully recheck your panel gaps, interior and exterior fit and finishes, TIP: get one of your picky/OCD friends to help you. It's easy to get caught up in the new car glow and skip this step. Take photos of everything, then make a conscious decision on which ones are ok for you and which ones you want to report. Use the Tesla app to set up a service appointment and upload relevant photos.

You've got 7 days, and supposedly 100 miles, but do it as soon as possible.

• Funny
Reactions: KenC
Set your drive mode to hold rather than creep. If you do that you can bail out of your car any time it is stopped and it will do everything else for you. That includes putting the car in park and locking the doors once you walk away. Don't try this with the rest of the cars in your fleet.

Also, if you park in a home garage set the locks so that they don't lock at home.
This still goes against all that is ingrained in your head. Wait, I can just walk away after putting it in park. Not button to push to turn it off? Weird.

Invest in a tire repair kit and a small compressor before you do a road trip. If you have the $$ do PPE before you get chips on your hood ( I learnt that in hindsight)....as others said, enjoy the car. I’ve had mine 15 months and it gets better and better

Yes, the car will accelerate like a bat out of hell, and like every 17 year old you'll find out that tires are expensive as a result. Restraining yourself from full throttle at zero speed will reduce your rubber consumption - you can get almost as big of a grin by using half throttle up to 20 mph/35 kph before pressing on to full throttle.
This! Full acceleration from a rolling start is still amazing and really cuts down on tire wear.