Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Owner Model 3 red front end being repainted

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I picked up my Model 3 AWD red exterior premium white last Monday in Springfield, NJ. The frunk had some contamination in the paint and the delivery advisor agreed that they would repaint the front end of the car which would take about a week to complete since it needs to go into body. Also the passenger taillight had water in it so mobile service came out on Monday to replace it. Mobile service tech was excellent. Does anyone know what loaners tesla is giving out in Springfield NJ. Hoping not to get an ICE.

While I'm not sure what's available in NJ, there does seem to be a disconnect between Elon's plans to always have the top of the line flagship vehicles as loaners to Tesla owners, who have their vehicles in for repairs, and the reality of what they are offering as loaners.

It depends entirely on how many loaners they have available at any given time. I received a 100D loaner when my model 3 was in service in Cleveland, while a co-worker that dropped off the following day got an enterprise rental.

We have Hentz rental in Orlando. Occasionally people will get another Tesla as a loaner. I've gotten a Dodge Challenger as a loaner which was a complete opposite of an EV. Owning the Model 3 for a while, it was funny hearing the loud vrooom every time I step on the pedal.

We have Hentz rental in Orlando. Occasionally people will get another Tesla as a loaner. I've gotten a Dodge Challenger as a loaner which was a complete opposite of an EV. Owning the Model 3 for a while, it was funny hearing the loud vrooom every time I step on the pedal.
To be fair, it should maybe come with a gas card, earplugs, and nose plugs....:p

• Love
Reactions: reserves
I picked up my Model 3 AWD red exterior premium white last Monday in Springfield, NJ. The frunk had some contamination in the paint and the delivery advisor agreed that they would repaint the front end of the car which would take about a week to complete since it needs to go into body. Also the passenger taillight had water in it so mobile service came out on Monday to replace it. Mobile service tech was excellent. Does anyone know what loaners tesla is giving out in Springfield NJ. Hoping not to get an ICE.
If it's just surface contamination of the clear coat (dust/dirt nibs, speckles, swirls), you might want to see if they can buff or wet sand it out. Worked great on my car.

There was no way to just paint correct it. It was baked into the clear and paint itself. Hoping the repaint goes well.
I picked up my AWD Blue model 3 w/ white interior 2 weeks ago. Due to many scratches, blemishes, paint droplets, etc, they attempted to have the local certified body shop buff out the paint issues but were unable to fix them. They are now repainting the entire car which they say takes between 2-3 weeks. I told them it needs to be perfect so they are moving forward now with the work. One other person said the value of the car “takes a dump”. Why would the value drop with a proper/professional repaint? I have been ensured that the job will be top rate and will look like it should have from the factory. Let me know. Thx.

I picked up my AWD Blue model 3 w/ white interior 2 weeks ago. Due to many scratches, blemishes, paint droplets, etc, they attempted to have the local certified body shop buff out the paint issues but were unable to fix them. They are now repainting the entire car which they say takes between 2-3 weeks. I told them it needs to be perfect so they are moving forward now with the work. One other person said the value of the car “takes a dump”. Why would the value drop with a proper/professional repaint? I have been ensured that the job will be top rate and will look like it should have from the factory. Let me know. Thx.

Because no repaint is as strong/durable as factory paint painted directly on bare metal. Just because it looks better (as it should), its not going to be as strong.

Reactions: insaneoctane
I would personally not accept a brand new vehicle that required repainting. Certainly not to the front end which takes the brunt of impacts. High quality repaint might look good initially, it will not be as durable as factory cured paint. Sorry This is just something that sucks. Factory paint can be cured at a much higher temperature because the car isn't assembled yet. Once the car is assembled, the interior plastics, electronics, etc prevent high temperature cures during repaint. Accept the imperfections or don't accept at all was my approach.

Reactions: Stirfelt

Hello Neilya,
Similar paint issues here. They’re repainting the hood and blending in the fenders. Apparently the bumper sustained “blemishes” while in the body shops possessing and now that is being repainted as well. I’m very concerned about depreciation of the and durability of the rework. At this point, I’m prepared to ask for a new car or a very extended warranty regarding the paint rework. I also feel I should be refunded the premium paid for pearl white dual coat when that is technically no longer on the front half of the car. Did you request/receive any compensation for your paint issues? Thanks.

Nervous for ya'll!

The only car I would allow paint on is a lease or a wrecked car. Body shop paint is never comparable to factory. I'd rather have imperfect factory paint than a respray.

It’s hard to accept such blatant poor quality when purchasing “premium” product. The technology is cool but you can tell they have a long way to go on the basics. I’m attaching a few images of the defects for you to review.

Attachments

• AF3823A5-1F2F-4309-AC61-B749D35F6C64.jpeg
    AF3823A5-1F2F-4309-AC61-B749D35F6C64.jpeg
    212 KB · Views: 78
  • 88375624-B22B-44CD-AFDA-B75ACE999212.jpeg
    88375624-B22B-44CD-AFDA-B75ACE999212.jpeg
    224.7 KB · Views: 64
  • BCB63955-2714-47C9-90AE-69AB494AC1AD.jpeg
    BCB63955-2714-47C9-90AE-69AB494AC1AD.jpeg
    268.9 KB · Views: 59