Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

new owner questions (Roadster)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For a 110v extension cord, and to avoid the error code, is 15 amp rated cord enough or do I need to get the 20 amp ones?

I keep a 12 gauge extension cord in the trunk for emergencies, it works fine for charging. Household wiring is generally 14 gauge for 15amp and 12 gauge for 20 amp. You won't have a problem if the extension cord is the same gauge as the wires in the wall. Don't go higher than 14, and I'd use 12 to be safe.

For a 110v extension cord, and to avoid the error code, is 15 amp rated cord enough or do I need to get the 20 amp ones?

Get the 12 gauge. Length is also an issue, the longer the cord you want a heavier gauge. I traveled to a difficult location for charging (Big Sur, CA) and parking didn't have any close outlet that could handle the power. However, the location facilities people had a 100' 10 gauge cord. They set that up so people would not trip and I got my full charge (after almost two days.) Longest cord I've ever used.

Ok, my 14 gauge cord (50-feet) came today and I'm testing them out before my road trip this week. Its charging fine but the cord is a bit warm, not hot or anything. Its only been about 45 minutes. Should I forget it and just go with 12 gauge or warm cord is normal and just part of the game?

Last edited:
Ok, my 14 gauge cord (50-feet) came today and I'm testing them out before my road trip this week. Its charging fine but the cord is a bit warm, not hot or anything. Its only been about 45 minutes. Should I forget it and just go with 12 gauge or warm cord is normal and just part of the game?

If you're using the 14 gauge on a 15A circuit you'll need to dial back the current draw to 12A. I'd go with the 12 gauge to give you headroom, and the flexibility to draw 16A if you're on a 20A circuit.

A second warning to not have a coiled up cord that is charging. Heat can multiply to dangerous levels.

the other factor on cord size is the space in a roadster trunk. It fills up fast with all the charging options. Possible.

Yes you should forget it and spend a little more on a 12 gauge cord. At many locations the Roadster will detect a 14 ga cord and stop charging. Do you want to take that risk on the road? If you coil it up that cord will get hot and quite possibly melt the insulation. You'll remember not to do this yourself but what if someone else comes along and coils your cord to get it out of the way?