Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New owner

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys I’m 57 own a Porsche and motorcycles and bought a pre owned 2016 X 75d last week.

It’s Definitely different! Some things I love and some not as much!

The acceleration is impressive! The toys (motorized doors, auto garage, summons etc…) are as well.

I’m a realtor so need to see how long before charging etc…

My electrician will be here end of week to install 220v outlet as the 120v charger only charges 4 miles per hour.

I also ordered the Tesla wall charger to help.

So far the supercharging station near me charges Very slow! I sat there over an hour just to charge 100 miles!

I’m not sure if something is wrong with vehicle, software update or if it’s just going to be slow?

I’m dropping off tomorrow to have vehicle wrapped like my Porsche so will have back by end of the week.

I’m cautiously excited to drive this but not sure I’m ready to sell my Porsche??

Anything y’all can help me with I appreciate!

Attachments

• FAE07928-00C7-48A7-A123-88CB9BE06236.jpeg
    FAE07928-00C7-48A7-A123-88CB9BE06236.jpeg
    737.1 KB · Views: 136
Reactions: Aaron14902
Congratulations on your purchase. I thought I would write about people concerned with EV's due to power and being stranded. I have never had second thoughts of owning an EV and charge, considering the network and overly cautious mile to next charge predictions. The message of ICE have a place to gas up at every corner versus EV's needing a site at every corner has to be debunked. Just a random thought on charging.
It’s not about places to charge for me but the Time it takes to charge.
As I said I’m a realtor and if I’m showing further south on a given day I need to find time to charge to continue.
So my concern is taking an hour to add 100 miles on supercharger.

There are several threads here about charging. Try doing some more research, but if I remember correctly the 2016 75D had a slower charger, however 100 miles in one hour is too long. First thing to look at is what is the rate of charge in KW. Put the display in % ,not miles. Then the outside temperature is the next consideration, which shouldn't be a problem in Florida except in the hot summer. You may have to watch the Tesla App while charging as they have changed the display on charging, or the KW rate may have moved to the screen in front of the driver. Then there are v2 and v3 Superchargers in Florida. V2 superchargers are up to 150kw and the V3 are up to 250kw, although the MX might max out close to 160 for the 2018. Again I think 2016 isn't that high. Then on the V2's you have to pay attention to which pedestal you park. They are in pairs. 1A, 1B, 2A, 2B and so on. For those you don't want to pair with anyone else as the max is shared. So if someone is at 1A and you are at 1B, the most either of you can get is 75ish. Then your percent charge comes into play. from 10%-50% you'll get the highest charge rates. Starting around 45-50% it starts tapering off and can get all the way to 18kw when you get up to 85-95%. You should try to keep your battery in the 10-90% range.

I hope I have summed this up enough, and close enough to accurate, but do some searches on charging and you'll get a lot more detail.

Reactions: mangrove79
There are several threads here about charging. Try doing some more research, but if I remember correctly the 2016 75D had a slower charger, however 100 miles in one hour is too long. First thing to look at is what is the rate of charge in KW. Put the display in % ,not miles. Then the outside temperature is the next consideration, which shouldn't be a problem in Florida except in the hot summer. You may have to watch the Tesla App while charging as they have changed the display on charging, or the KW rate may have moved to the screen in front of the driver. Then there are v2 and v3 Superchargers in Florida. V2 superchargers are up to 150kw and the V3 are up to 250kw, although the MX might max out close to 160 for the 2018. Again I think 2016 isn't that high. Then on the V2's you have to pay attention to which pedestal you park. They are in pairs. 1A, 1B, 2A, 2B and so on. For those you don't want to pair with anyone else as the max is shared. So if someone is at 1A and you are at 1B, the most either of you can get is 75ish. Then your percent charge comes into play. from 10%-50% you'll get the highest charge rates. Starting around 45-50% it starts tapering off and can get all the way to 18kw when you get up to 85-95%. You should try to keep your battery in the 10-90% range.

I hope I have summed this up enough, and close enough to accurate, but do some searches on charging and you'll get a lot more detail.

All great points. I would add that the battery temp and state of charge play a huge role. Battery temp is less of an issue since you will be out and about, but state of charger will make a big difference. Maybe somebody with a 75 will chime in, but charging from a low 20% up to about 80% is much faster than 90-100%. Notice we are using percentages here. 20-80% in a 75 is going to yield less energy than 20-80% in a 100. Another thing to consider is that you will be charging up all the time if you drive above 70mph. I know FL has some long stretches of highway. If you need to stretch your range, keep your speed down.

Reactions: MrShakeHands
It’s not about places to charge for me but the Time it takes to charge.
As I said I’m a realtor and if I’m showing further south on a given day I need to find time to charge to continue.
So my concern is taking an hour to add 100 miles on supercharger.
The charging rate you quote is very low. Be sure you punch the Supercharger into the navigation before going there. That will let the car preheat the battery to take charge faster. Can you specify the charger where you saw this slow rate so we can see what the setup is like? Other tips would include going when the battery is relatively low, below 30% or so. Charging will slow way down if the battery is already charged up. Worse would be doing an ICE car "top-off".

Hi @Wesexcellence ,

FWIW
The Port Orange Superchargers are the "older" type and charge up to 150kW.
The Daytona Beach Superchargers are the "newer" ones and charge up to 250kW.
They are much faster...

Glad you have a home charger setup - 48amps is good rate at home...

Welcome to TMC!

Shawn