Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ashland to Portland - 2018 Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got a round regular round trip for work once a week from Ashland to Portland. Trying to figure out the least amount of time I can spend at a charger as this is a same day turn around and for business. I am looking at a model X 100D from 2018 and not sure on it's charge rate. This would qualify for section 179 for tax purposes but I don't want to take the hit and have to wait 30+ minutes charging to get to Portland. One way miles, 280 miles approximately. I'll leave at 100% and can stop at a V3 supercharger along the way. Anyone know if 2018 can charge at the new 250k rate? I'll pre condition prior to arriving. Thoughts? Better to get a new Y? Really appreciate the help! I currently drive a Bolt but with it's super slow charging this won't work for me.

Anyone know if 2018 can charge at the new 250k rate?
No, it cannot. I have a late 2017 100D model X and do a lot of trips in it. The fastest charge I have ever seen is 180 kW, and it is so briefly at that rate that it really isn’t relevant. A V3 really isn’t much faster than a V2 for this vintage car.

Most of my charging stops are around 30 min. I typically go about 150 miles between superchargers. So my first thought is that you will need a 30 min stop. But that partially depends on your charging availability when you get to the destination. Can you arrive at the destination at a low SOC? A new model X or new model Y will handle this trip with less charging time. Not just because of the charging rate but because of the longer range.

Reactions: DCGOO