Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New P3D+ brake squeak. Normal?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi guys, just picked up a P3D+ yesterday. When coming to a complete stop the brakes make quite a loud squeak at that last 1mph point. Is this normal, and it'll go away after some break in? If not, will maybe bedding the brakes take care of it? Appreciate any advice!

Hi guys, just picked up a P3D+ yesterday. When coming to a complete stop the brakes make quite a loud squeak at that last 1mph point. Is this normal, and it'll go away after some break in? If not, will maybe bedding the brakes take care of it? Appreciate any advice!

Squeak happens to any and all cars, especially when the pads are new. Try this.
1. Set regen to low
2. Drive to 40mph
3. Quick Jab on the brake to slow car down to 25-30mph. Release brake quickly once low speed is reached
4. Repeat 2 more times.
5. Drive car around for 5min without using brake with regen on normal.

Bedding in our brakes aren't required but it doesn't hurt. As someone also suggested, in a safe area, do some repeated firm braking sessions (with regen turned to low). That will scrub off any rust/debris between the pad and rotor. If it continues to make noise, consider contacting service if it's just as loud as before.

I feel that my brake pedal feel and brake noise (there isn't any except the normal friction sound) dramatically improved after a few 50-10 mph brake cycles. I'm kind of used to doing this or even more extreme brake pad break-in procedures on performance/race pads and it helps to properly bond the rotor to the pad (in addition to some other benefits that probably don't apply to our stock brake pads but do apply to more race oriented pads).