Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New P85D Owner in Nashville

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After much research and deliberation took the plunge and took delivery last week. Have been loyal to the Europeans over the past 10 years having most every performance iteration of Audi, BMW, Mercedes and Porsche.

It's amazing what Tesla has been able to accomplish with the model S as a new entry into a very mature ($) industry where things have been done the same way for nearly a century.

A bit of feedback and a few questions:

1. Interior Fit and Finish - can and will get better but some work to be done. The interior just doesn't match what Audi is putting out these days - items like the door panels, leather, stitching, etc is not up to par. Some of the soft touch areas are not so soft and look and feel 'plasticy'
2. The premium sound system sounds great. I'm not sure what some of the negative feedback is about - I understand everyone hears differently however the sound is far better than anything MB, BMW or Porsche is putting out - the only close competitor is the B&O system that my last few Audi's have had.
3. The charge port door is really finicky - I have to walk up to the drivers door and open and close sometimes to get the plug to release and sometimes to get the door to open using the 'button' on the charge cable.
4. I have noticed a puddle under my car the past few mornings and I'm wondering if the A/C is somehow coming on in the middle of the night or the very early morning hours. When I get in the car it's not pre-cooled so it must be happening well before i leave the house. I turned off the pre-sense or whatever it's called and I'll see if that makes a difference. Could the puddle be from anything else other than the A/C????
5. The A/C system blows cold and cools fine but it seems to have a mind of it's own - some days its blowing like crazy while others it won't blow harder than the 7 fan setting when in auto. I'm hopeful they fix this as it's quite annoying
6. Peoples reactions to the acceleration is entertaining - no matter how much you try to prepare them and tell them how it feels they still are in disbelief. Quite fun!
7. I wish there was more information and data on handling characteristics. This info seems to be lacking on the forums. Overall the car seems well balanced and predictable but I'd love some read more about how it performs under really extreme cornering, slalom, etc.

The forum has been very helpful in helping solidify my decision and I thank all of the contributors for this. I look forward to making a contribution moving forward.

Happy Driving!

7. I wish there was more information and data on handling characteristics. This info seems to be lacking on the forums. Overall the car seems well balanced and predictable but I'd love some read more about how it performs under really extreme cornering, slalom, etc.

yep... with so many people in contact with so many others, you would think an owner of a 85D, a P85, a P85+, and a P85D [or any combination] could all meet up and do an autocross or something...

3. The car has to be unlocked in order for you to remove the charge cable. When the door handles extend, then you know the car is unlocked, and you can unplug it. You shouldn't have to open and close the door.
4. The puddle is A/C. Remember it cools the battery, not just the car.

Congrats on the new car. I'm waiting on my car P85D to arrive in Nashville too. Would love to hear about your experiences with the Nashville SC, delivery, etc. (Question: When did you place order/take delivery?)

Like you I'm a long time BMW, Audi, Porsche guy (trading a Dinan 535i on the Tesla) and IMHO Audi interiors are a notch above most anything else out there. They have it nailed.

tsafford

Glad to see the Nashville area ownership is growing! I actually took an inventory vehicle out of Florida as I really wanted the light silver color - I also wanted to maximize my chances of getting the TN Rebate before the money runs dry. From the time I put down my $2,500 to actual delivery it took about two weeks.

Delivery itself was great - my only area to gripe about was the overall communication from the delivery coordinator. I think it was at the end of the quarter, not local (based out of NC) and generally overwhelmed caused this. Clearly when you purchase a car like this or any large purchase for that manner you are excited about it and want frequent updates and responsiveness. I think now that they have someone locally here in Nashville this will improve - I gave him my feedback. I also wonder a bit about overall motivation of the staff to drive sales and thus overcommunicate - I'm not sure how their comp is structured but I did not get the sense there is much skin in the game to speed up deliveries. I could be totally wrong here - just a guess!

My last car was an Audi S8 so the Tesla interior is totally underwhelming! I couldn't have said it better myself - Audi does have the fit and finish nailed!

People don't buy Teslas for the interiors (although I am a fan of the minimalist interior rather than the German car interiors).
As I've noted previously, there are tech people and there are car people. Most early Tesla owners were tech people, buying it because of the battery technology. Now it's going more mainstream and attracting car people for whom the idea that it's a long-range battery electric vehicle isn't the primary thing they care about. The cost of the car can only go so far-- either it goes into the battery and electric drivetrain, or it goes into the interior. For those who want a more luxurious interior, there are many other brands to choose from.

TexasEV

Just to be clear - I love the car and I was 100% clear on what I was getting when I purchased it however this doesn't mean that there are not areas for improvement and as I mentioned in my first post I believe things will continue to improve.

I disagree with some of what you say - There are many car and tech people - I consider myself one - I think that as the brand has grown and the technology has been proven the clientele will change and attract a more discerning buyer who wants it all.

My post was not about a "luxury" interior but an interior fitting of a the brand - which I believe has aspirations of not only being an techy EV Company but a sport/luxury brand. if one simply bangs on the interior door panel it sounds like a Camry - if one slams the door it sounds like a Camry (no offense to Toyota or Camry's - it's a $30K car). My post didn't ask for cooled seats (would be nice) or full leather down to the kickplates - it just pointed out it's not great and will get better.

Needless to say I love the car! :smile:

After taking away the cost of the battery and all the very advanced tech, the Tesla probably isn't that much higher than a $30k car :p

I don't mind though, I'll still love it over everything once the Model 3 is available.