Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Pixar movie Inside Out

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

BoerumHill

not great not terrible
Apr 23, 2015
New York, NY
Anyone else seen it yet?

Took my six year old daughter to see it this afternoon. Fantastic! Probably my favorite animated movie. We saw it in 3D (completely unnecessary but she loves it), and the glasses came in handy. As did the pile of napkins I grabbed for buttered popcorn.

As parents/grandparents, we're writing memories every day.

- - - Updated - - -

ETA: related article

What 'Inside Out', a film about feelings, gets right about the brain

Last edited:
The St. Louis Tesla Enthusiasts held our annual drive-in movie event last weekend and watched the movie. Loved it.

For Father's Day, my boys gave me a stuffed "anger" doll, I'm a giant Lewis Black fan. :)

Lewis lives in my neighborhood (Hell's Kitchen), I see him all the time. Let's just say the persona isn't a stretch for him.

:)

- - - Updated - - -

Went to see the movie Max today. For slightly older kids, 10+ years. Awesome family movie.

Yep, this one is right in the age 10-12 wheelhouse, though nothing overwhelming for younger ones. Had a great teaching moment with my youngest over lunch watching the trailer (before we saw it) and explaining the premise of the five emotions who run HQ inside Riley's mind. We were talking about examples of when Anger or Sadness run the HQ inside our own heads.

Joy is definitely dominant for her as well (thankfully.)

OMG I was bawling the whole time. Warning: If your kiddo is working through some sadness, it might well be therapeutic but don't mistake it for harmless family fun. My daughter (7) said she loved it but was clearly affected. Her mother and I are going through a divorce, so she got to identify with the movie a little more than I wanted.

But, it is pretty brilliant.

Well, everyone's entitle to their own perspective. Speaking as a person who moved a lot as a child (NYC, Boston, Miami, San Francisco), I found some of the metaphors to be SPOT ON. The New Yorker columnists says he "doesn't buy it" about the islands being a foundation. Well, quite frankly, I did. What's more is that Pixar consulted with neuroscientists to ask what really went on inside the brain so they could come up with their metaphors that were at least somewhat rooted in reality.

Well, everyone's entitle to their own perspective. Speaking as a person who moved a lot as a child (NYC, Boston, Miami, San Francisco), I found some of the metaphors to be SPOT ON. The New Yorker columnists says he "doesn't buy it" about the islands being a foundation. Well, quite frankly, I did. What's more is that Pixar consulted with neuroscientists to ask what really went on inside the brain so they could come up with their metaphors that were at least somewhat rooted in reality.

This will come off like I'm bagging on Richard Brody, but in the pantheon of great NYC film critics he's not in the top twenty, maybe not even in the top 5 who have written for the New Yorker - & he's been there since the late '90s.

Anyway, I went through a family divorce & being uprooted around the age of the main character in the movie and I also thought Pixar nailed it. We're not one of those all-in for anything Disney families - OK, except for the stock, which has been a solid growth component in our portfolio since the early days of Eisner - but I went out and bought five companion books from the movie (early reader series - she's going into 2nd grade.) She ate it up in one sitting.