Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New - Previous service/demo vehicle

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Folks... New to the forum.. but not new to Tesla.. Had a Model S 90D leased for 3 years that I returned about a year ago.. I placed an order for an MSM PUP + Tow non FSD on June 17. Today I had an MVPA pop up in my account. When I open the MVPA, it shows "New - Previous service/demo vehicle" under description. What is even more interesting is that it also shows a price adjustment of $520.. Not sure what this means. Are they trying to sell me a defective car and giving me a $520 bribe/credit ? The car has 15Miles on it according the to document with 13xxx vin. Any help would be appreciated.

Coming from many years a BMW owner, as a buyer, you would normally need to choose to purchase a demo vehicle - the dealer cannot swap out the vehicle and force you to purchase it. It can be still sold as "new" with the "demo" or "loaner" disclaimer, but it is still the owner's choice whether they want a new vehicle fresh off the line or not. In this case, I can't imagine a SC only used a demo for a short while vs. a return, but who knows...they are really pushing to make numbers for end-of-quarter.

Well.. no delivery is set yet. I have heard nothing from Tesla.. I was just looking at my account and saw the MVPA doc and decided to look.. So no clue if this is an end of Q deliver or just a reject that they fixed or an actual demo car with 15 miles on it. To be honest, I have no idea who to call at Tesla to ask questions. When I bought the S, I actually went to a showroom.. This one.. I just did it online. Not in a rush for a car...

Mine was 82xx and I asked if it was a return and the date of manufacture (it showed up all of a sudden so I was worried that it was a turn back). I'd ask them if it was returned and the actual mileage.

Mine was 82xx and I asked if it was a return and the date of manufacture (it showed up all of a sudden so I was worried that it was a turn back). I'd ask them if it was returned and the actual mileage.

Who do you ask ? Good Idea about date of manufacture.. Still why would a manufacturer want this on the MVPA unless it was a return.. I'll see what I can find out tomorrow when they are open

I rejected and cancelled (sight unseen) my order when Tesla tried to sell me a MY with the same description on Purchase Agreement last week. They are simply trying to sell any MY they have laying around to make 2Q delivery numbers better. I decided to reorder later this year.

They all show 15 miles. Mine did too but when I went to pick it up, there was only 5 miles on it.
Mine shows 15 miles as well. Must be the standard they put on all new cars to account for any chance they need to take the car for a test drive at the SC to fix anything that they find. Hard to sell a car that says 0 miles on it and then when the customer picks it up it has 10 miles already on it.

OK.. but does it show "Previous service/demo vehicle" and did they give you $520 ?
Here is my thought on this. All the cars seem to come with "15 miles" on the MVPA. My guess is that your car was sent to the SC to be used as a demo vehicle and then they realized that they didn't need it as a demo vehicle and then sold /assigned it to a person who had that same configuration. But since legally it was sent to the SC as a demo, they need to label it as such (and then out of good will, give you a token discount since it has a "label" as a demo. I would check the car out and if has 15 miles or less, assume my theory is correct and the car has never been used as a demo. If you go there and it has >50 miles on it then you know it was used briefly as a demo and you can decide if the condition of the vehicle is worth signing on the dotted line. For me, if the car was flawless looking and had 50-100 miles on it, I would take it. 50 miles is 3 people taking it for a 20 minute spin around the area.

Mine shows 15 miles as well. Must be the standard they put on all new cars to account for any chance they need to take the car for a test drive at the SC to fix anything that they find. Hard to sell a car that says 0 miles on it and then when the customer picks it up it has 10 miles already on it.
I don't think the Ihave every bought a new car that had less than 10 miles on the odometer. Makes me wonder if they drive these things around a test track to make sure the wheels and brakes don't fall off before loading it on a transport truck.

Here is my thought on this. All the cars seem to come with "15 miles" on the MVPA. My guess is that your car was sent to the SC to be used as a demo vehicle and then they realized that they didn't need it as a demo vehicle and then sold /assigned it to a person who had that same configuration. But since legally it was sent to the SC as a demo, they need to label it as such (and then out of good will, give you a token discount since it has a "label" as a demo. I would check the car out and if has 15 miles or less, assume my theory is correct and the car has never been used as a demo. If you go there and it has >50 miles on it then you know it was used briefly as a demo and you can decide if the condition of the vehicle is worth signing on the dotted line. For me, if the car was flawless looking and had 50-100 miles on it, I would take it. 50 miles is 3 people taking it for a 20 minute spin around the area.

Really appreciate that positive perspective. Puts my mind a little more at ease !

Yes.. I plan on not cancelling and just going and looking at the car.. For now, no call yet or text for delivery.. just a VIN is now on both the account and the MVPA.. Still waiting on the call lol... I was actually hoping not to get one till September.. but hey.. if it is here and in good shape.. why not !

Another possibility is that they take a sampling of cars and put them through more rigorous testing. Drive it around a bit and make sure everything works the way it's supposed to. Like a spot check of cars off the line. Maybe they do this once a day or so.

Since the car was used for things other than driving it on/off a truck, they have to flag it. In this case, it might be BETTER to have this one.

I don't think the Ihave every bought a new car that had less than 10 miles on the odometer. Makes me wonder if they drive these things around a test track to make sure the wheels and brakes don't fall off before loading it on a transport truck.

Two years ago we bought a Lexus NX for my wife with 3 miles on it. Fresh off the truck. My Model Y had 5 miles on it, but MVPA said 15 miles as the default.

Really appreciate that positive perspective. Puts my mind a little more at ease !

Yes.. I plan on not cancelling and just going and looking at the car.. For now, no call yet or text for delivery.. just a VIN is now on both the account and the MVPA.. Still waiting on the call lol... I was actually hoping not to get one till September.. but hey.. if it is here and in good shape.. why not !

I suggest that you give your delivery center a call and ask them. They should be able to advise what happened. They can also tell you where the car is at and let you know an estimate on when your delivery will occur. If it is indeed a return/demo vehicle, you can let them know you don't want it and be put back in the pool for VIN assignment.

Well I called the delivery center today.. She said it was slated to be a demo in ohio... but they assigned it to me and could not change the description once it is set as a demo vehicle. The car is new, built 6/14 with 17 miles on it ! So basically a new car.. What was interesting was the conversation that followed....
She asked if I wanted one today. She offered me a gray or blue one.. both Demo cars available for pickup immediately with my exact config.. Except those were real demo cars with 500 and 700 miles... she offered a $700 and $820 discount for these.. I asked if they always sold these.. she said "Well it is the end of the quarter... EVERYTHING is for sale"

I declined and said I will wait for the one coming July 5 since I am not in a rush.

Well I called the delivery center today.. She said it was slated to be a demo in ohio... but they assigned it to me and could not change the description once it is set as a demo vehicle. The car is new, built 6/14 with 17 miles on it ! So basically a new car.. What was interesting was the conversation that followed....
She asked if I wanted one today. She offered me a gray or blue one.. both Demo cars available for pickup immediately with my exact config.. Except those were real demo cars with 500 and 700 miles... she offered a $700 and $820 discount for these.. I asked if they always sold these.. she said "Well it is the end of the quarter... EVERYTHING is for sale"

I declined and said I will wait for the one coming July 5 since I am not in a rush.

Nice. So you get a brand new car for $520 off. That works out well!

Makes sense to sell whatever they have in inventory. They can always roll another demo car out there.