Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Problem. Rear camera stopped working

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, this just happened to me today. Had my M3 since 9/23, rear camera has worked flawlessly until now. Tried resetting with the two steering wheel buttons but it did not help. Tried Park, Drive, Reverse and cycling through shift modes but did not help. Also let the car sit for a couple hours then tried again, no luck, black screen with white lines. Also tried invoking from the touch screen but get the same black screen with no white lines.

My operating scenario was this: started the car this morning, backed out of garage, camera was working. Drove to the hockey rink, opened the trunk, took my gear out, closed the trunk. Came out after, started the car, put in reverse and had black screen with white lines. Put in Park , then tried reverse again but no luck. I suspect loose wiring and opening/closing the trunk causes intermittent failure. Also, just got the latest SW update last week, don't know if it's related.

Will be adding this to the list of things to fix when I bring in my car next week.

According to Tesla, after updating software, your cameras need to recalibrate and will be black during that time. My backup camera went black 21 hours (according to Tesla) after I updated, but I had already driven 20+ miles before it started. Camera worked in the morning, and when I got home 25 miles later, it was black. Called Tesla, got the info, and next time I drove camera worked again and has worked since. Not sure if this is true, but that's what the CS rep told me.