Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

rear camera stopped working

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey folks, my rear camera stopped working today. When I put the car in reverse, i only see the view from the 2 side cameras, nothing from the rear except the for the white "guide lines". I rebooted the car twice, didn't do anything.

Anyone else have this issue? I haven't had any other problems with the car. Its a 2018, and I bought it brand new.

nevermind, it started working now. I was about to go into service mode, see whether there were any error codes or anything, but put the car into reverse first, and it works.

There is a recall for this very same condition. Something impinges and wears through the wiring harness, causing rear camera feed to fail.
Good luck getting parts from Tesla to do the repairs.
If this is your problem, it will re-occur.

I just had a mobile tech here at my house 30 minutes ago to replace the trunk harness as part of the recall on this issue. I believe that there were two times in the last 5+ years that the rear view camera was either slow to respond or dropped frames; I don't recall it ever being MIA. I had received a notice in the mail last week saying that parts were ready and to schedule a service call so I did.

As part of the service visit I also (finally) updated the car's software from 2022.12.3.2 to 2023.38.9.

Well it stopped working again last night and the autopilot camera also stopped working. I was driving home last night, stuck in traffic, but the "driving visuals" showed nothing around me, its like I was driving on an empty street. Also the autopilot was not availiable (I have FSD), the auto wipers didn't turn on when it started raining, didn't hear a chime when the light turned green...

I have been chatting with Tesla via the app, had a moble service sceduled for tomorrow, but now they want me to bring the car in instead. They sent me a quote for $480 if its not an issue with the backup camera harness which they issued a recall for. If it is the harness, they will cover it.

I just checked the cameras, and they are working again. They did say that if the backup camera goes down (due to the harness) it could impact the autopilot camera as well. Is that true?

I have a 2018 with 96k miles, so not covered by warranty.

I just had a mobile tech here at my house 30 minutes ago to replace the trunk harness as part of the recall on this issue. I believe that there were two times in the last 5+ years that the rear view camera was either slow to respond or dropped frames; I don't recall it ever being MIA. I had received a notice in the mail last week saying that parts were ready and to schedule a service call so I did.

As part of the service visit I also (finally) updated the car's software from 2022.12.3.2 to 2023.38.9.
they had to order the harness? Thought they would have a ton in stock considereing they issued a recall