Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New round steering wheel retrofit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No luck requesting the new wheel in the LA area. Seems like it’s not available yet with no ETA. Not sure how trustworthy this SA was though since they didn’t even know that there was a new revision in the first place.

I retrofitted the round wheel on my S when it was first offered. I greatly prefer the round steering wheel. However, unfortunately the horn button is still a button. I'm sure there is a million threads, but IMHO one of the stupidest design/ergo ideas to not use the center of the wheel. I don't use my horn often, so the button is not muscle memory like the turn indicators. I can recall (2) very close calls that were way too close, because I couldn't find the horn when I needed it.

No luck here with the new 2024 wheel. I asked since they swapped my wheel out due to weak heating.

Anyone with the wheel....does it feel "lighter" to you than the yoke? Steering resistance is quite weak on my car despite the mode I put the car in (comfort, standard, sport). It all feels the same. Techs told me that they tried another palladium with the wheel and it felt the same. But I've had a loaner S and X with Yokes, and have driven several Ys and 3s...and they all have far more resistance from steering on the sport setting than my 23 MSP does. Hell the standard settings on those cars provide more resistance than mine on sport. It's really bee frustrating.

I have an appointment set up to swap the non functioning horn wheel for the new one…

They want $1,000 for the wheel, and $1,000 for the mechanical horn airbag. With .18 hour labor, the total is $2,237…

Nope.

Attachments

• IMG_1606.png
    IMG_1606.png
    354.2 KB · Views: 29
I have an appointment set up to swap the non functioning horn wheel for the new one…

They want $1,000 for the wheel, and $1,000 for the mechanical horn airbag. With .18 hour labor, the total is $2,237…

Nope.
What in the hell? lol. They can’t transfer the bag? Those part numbers are quite different than mine. The button horn is dangerous. I’ve had a few issues where I hit the airbag forgetting about the button.

What in the hell? lol. They can’t transfer the bag? Those part numbers are quite different than mine. The button horn is dangerous. I’ve had a few issues where I hit the airbag forgetting about the button.
Agreed - it's dangerous. I once had to use the horn while making a U-turn (with the yoke); it was a near-miss accident!

Seems Tesla has aligned with the NHTSA that drivers expect the horn to be in the center. They should go a step further and offer a free retrofit option to a wheel or yoke (at owner's preference) with the center horn.

Nope.

Some of us paid $700 to go from the yoke to steering wheel, installation and new airbag included. Might have been some sales tax in there but $700 was the price in the online store.

Bruce.

PS. I got to keep the old yoke minus the airbag.

Reactions: golferguy
Just got a mobile service appointment next Tuesday for replacement under warranty (for turn signal button issues). I requested the round wheel with mechanical horn and so far it looks like the estimate reflects that. Here’s hoping they go through with it

Attachments

• IMG_9928.jpg
    IMG_9928.jpg
    193.6 KB · Views: 11
Reactions: NJturtlePower