Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New scheduled departure charging problem.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

First post here. I did a search and can't find a thread addressing this specific issue. We purchased a 2021 Model Y new in March '21. My electrician friend set me up with a NEMA 14-50 receptacle shortly after that and we have been successfully scheduled departure charging for 7:00 AM until a couple of months ago. Suddenly the car started charging immediately upon plugging in about 6:00 PM. At first it would charge for only a few minutes, turn itself off and then start about 3:00 AM for the 110 miles or so required to charge to 80%. It got progressively worse by charging an hour or so before shutting down for scheduled charging. My first call to Tesla CS didn't fix the issue. The second attempt was much better. The tech asked if both my wife were using the same login user name and P/W. We were and he walked us through setting up a second login for her phone. I then rebooted the car and all was well - for awhile. Now it's starting all over again. Last night it started as soon as I plugged it in. It charged about 70 miles, stopped, and then started again about midnight. For once I didn't wake up about 3:00 AM as I usually do so I don't know if it charged fully at midnight or stopped yet again intermittently, (I did notice the problem started about the time the app was updated a couple of months ago.) Also, perhaps it's always been this way, but I notice the charger is very warm when I unplug it. My IR thermometer read 98 degrees the other morning. Anyone else having this issue? And sorry for the long-winded post......

The Gen2 Mobile Connector manual states that the operating temperature of the Gen2 Mobile Connector is -22F to 122F. 98F is not an issue. Leave the Mobile Connector power plug adapter plugged into the NEMA 14-50 receptacle unless you need to take the Mobile Connector with you on a trip. (The NEMA 14-50 receptacle is not designed for a high number of plug and unplug operations.)

Many times issues with Scheduled Departure, Off-peak charging and the like can be traced to a third-party app for Tesla that you set up, gave access to your Tesla login information.

Here is what is supposed to happen. Let’s assume you have set a scheduled departure time of 7 AM. When you plug into the car It should start charging for a short period of time, this is to determine what rate of charge is available. Then it restarts charging at a time to reach the SOC you have specified at the time you have specified, actually typically 15-30 minutes before. The actual time it starts is based on the existing SOC, charge rate, ending SOC specified, and departure time.

To narrow down your problem go into the Tesla app and turn off ALL schedule options, both the “Departure” and “Charge” options. Go the app on your wife’s phone and do the same. Also, as @jcanoe stated, turn off all charging schedule options on 3rd party apps. Now get in the car and set the scheduled departure time there and see how things go.

Good luck!

I tried above recommendations and even tried just to set charging to start at 12 AM. Nothing works and it still starts charging as soon as I plug iin.
The second phone tech I spoke with advised it's probably a hardware issue if his suggestions didn't work. Just scheduled a service appt and the earliest I could get is June 27 - 19 days out. Savannah, Ga may be a small market for Tesla but this is absurd.