Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Software Diff 2020.4.2 thru 2020.4.11

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
its on the VIN # of your car....the 7th item is the battery indicator.......if you have an “E” you got old battery.....if you got “F” then you got new one.....I got and “E"

Do you have an authoritative source for this information? My new S has an E in the 7th position of the VIN, and an F rev battery .

I ordered a LR+, picked it up Friday, but noticed it doesn't have the 390 mile range at 100%. Nor is it called out as a Plus on the sticker or on the console. I've got a service visit booked to straighten this out, get the current software, etc.

Do you have an authoritative source for this information? My new S has an E in the 7th position of the VIN, and an F rev battery .

I ordered a LR+, picked it up Friday, but noticed it doesn't have the 390 mile range at 100%. Nor is it called out as a Plus on the sticker or on the console. I've got a service visit booked to straighten this out, get the current software, etc.
go to this link:

VIN Decoder | TeslaTap

Example VINs (or enter your own VIN)
XP90D S100D S85 S70D Roadster
1-3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 – 17

Results 5YJSA1E29LFxxxxxx

Position Description Value
1-3 Manufacturer 5YJ = Tesla, Inc.
4 Make S = Model S
5 Body Type A = 5 Door Hatchback LHD (Left Hand Drive)
6 Restraint System 1 = Manual Type 2 Seat Belts (Front, Rear*3) With Front Airbags, PODS, Side Inflatable Restraints, Knee Airbags (Front)
7 Battery Type E = Lithium-Ion Battery - Electric
8 Motor/Drive Unit 2 = Dual Motor - Three Phase A/C Induction
9 Check Character 9
10 Model Year L = 2020
11 Location of Manufacture F = Fremont, CA, USA
12 Serial #, 100,000s digit
13-17 Serial Number Digits

go and plug your vin number to see what it says

yes, my point is it does not appear that 7th position distinguishes between E and F rev batteries.
it does....if your 7th position in an “E” you have the “E” battery......if it is an “F” you have and “F” battery......

If you have an “E”, you do not have the LR+ model and will not get the update for range, unless your car has the updated hardware that will allow for the upgrade to LR+......I would be asking the delivery center to physically show how they know the difference in LR and LR+......do not let them bamboozle you.....get a service manager or someone who knows the difference to “SHOW” you and explain to you what to look for

Ok. Definitely looks like I have the F battery, despite the E in the VIN. We’ll discuss at next week’s service appointment.

Attachments

• 738E0F2F-0F0E-4ED7-BACA-79B830A07D9D.jpeg
    738E0F2F-0F0E-4ED7-BACA-79B830A07D9D.jpeg
    293.3 KB · Views: 74
So I'm pretty sure that the "E" in the older VINs is just coincidence. It's for "electric" and not the E battery. If you look at VINs from previous model years it looks like the 7th space is always "E" or "H". When I put an old VIN like (5YJSA1H13EFP60439) into VIN Decoder | TeslaTap it says the H=High Capacity Lithium Ion battery. It looks like the options for that slot are 1, A, B, C, D, E, H, S, V.

Last edited:
So I'm pretty sure that the "E" in the older VINs is just coincidence. It's for "electric" and not the E battery. If you look at VINs from previous model years it looks like the 7th space is always "E" or "H". When I put an old VIN like (5YJSA1H13EFP60439) into VIN Decoder | TeslaTap it says the H=High Capacity Lithium Ion battery. It looks like the options for that slot are 1, A, B, C, D, E, H, S, V.
now I am really confused.....I thought the “E”E was annotated in the coding as “Lithium-Ion” battery, electric....as in electric car....umm....cornfused

• Love
Reactions: John J
now I am really confused.....I thought the “E”E was annotated in the coding as “Lithium-Ion” battery, electric....as in electric car....umm....cornfused

Seems like it changed over time. From the Wiki: Decoding Tesla Model S VINs

Digit 7, Charger Type (2012-2013) / Battery Type (2014-2015) / Fuel Type (2015+):
A = 10kw Charger
B = 20kw Charger
C = 10kw Charger, w/DC Fast Charge
D = 20kw Charger, w/DC Fast Charge
H = Lithium - Ion Battery - High Capacity (85 kWh)
S = Lithium - Ion Battery - Standard Capacity (60 kWh until retired and replaced with 70 kWh battery in mid 2015)
V = Lithium - Ion Battery - Very High Capacity (90 kWh)
E = Lithium - Ion Battery - Extended Capacity (90 kWh) P90D Ludicrous
For all models, effective 1 August 2015:
E = Electric

Seems like it changed over time. From the Wiki: Decoding Tesla Model S VINs

Digit 7, Charger Type (2012-2013) / Battery Type (2014-2015) / Fuel Type (2015+):
A = 10kw Charger
B = 20kw Charger
C = 10kw Charger, w/DC Fast Charge
D = 20kw Charger, w/DC Fast Charge
H = Lithium - Ion Battery - High Capacity (85 kWh)
S = Lithium - Ion Battery - Standard Capacity (60 kWh until retired and replaced with 70 kWh battery in mid 2015)
V = Lithium - Ion Battery - Very High Capacity (90 kWh)
E = Lithium - Ion Battery - Extended Capacity (90 kWh) P90D Ludicrous
For all models, effective 1 August 2015:
E = Electric
just checked and I have the “F” battery......so you are right....thanks for the info update....now lets see what happens with the upgrades for range....as I was told, looks more and more like a hardware change in order to get range update

Almost all new Model S coming from the factory are on the old 2019 firmware. After around 3 to 4 days or ownership, use the app and schedule service and select Software Update. Pick the earliest date as it's just a filler and doesn't matter.

What will happen is that the Tesla Service will triage your ticket and text you back, saying they are pushing out the most appropriate software for your vehicle. This may happen twice before you get the latest version.

Also make sure you are set for getting the software updates quicker the normal in the settings for your vehicle in your Tesla.
...so I followed these steps and sure enough they sent me the following text first thing this morning:
Good Morning! This is Tesla Mobile Service following up on your appointment request. I have remotely sent over the latest firmware package to your vehicle, it should with good connection successfully download in a few hours. Please let me know when this has completed so we can cancel the mobile appointment! I look forward to hearing from you and hope you have a great day :)
When I got the notification that there was an update available, I was stoked....until I saw that they were pushing 2020.4.1(which is the same v I had before)!!!

...so I followed these steps and sure enough they sent me the following text first thing this morning:
Good Morning! This is Tesla Mobile Service following up on your appointment request. I have remotely sent over the latest firmware package to your vehicle, it should with good connection successfully download in a few hours. Please let me know when this has completed so we can cancel the mobile appointment! I look forward to hearing from you and hope you have a great day :)
When I got the notification that there was an update available, I was stoked....until I saw that they were pushing 2020.4.1(which is the same v I had before)!!!

So I let them know that they pushed the same version to my car and the reply was:
I apologize for my delay in response, it looks like that is the latest available firmware for your vehicle at this time. New firmwares are released in certain VIN batches that we have no control over which is why some vehicles get firmwares before others. My best advice I can give you is to make sure your vehicle has a strong connection to wifi every night and you should be all set to receive it. Since there is nothing the mobile technician will be able to do onsite I am going to go ahead and cancel your mobile appt. Please dont hesitate to reach out in the future with any other questions or concerns we would be happy to help you with!​

Yes right....I have the “E” battery as well and got 2020.8.1 last Wednesday....a day after I got 2020.4.11.....the best thing about this update is the “Stop” mode and brake generation works much, much better.....there is however, no range increase....the NOA work better for me since I was upgraded from 2019.35.105 and there is no “ping-ponging”.....I am extremely happy with my car.....its getting better and better each timeI drive it....I am eager to run my wife’s errands and look for thing to do that causes me to have to drive....:)
sorry guys...just check the wheel well and I in fact have the “F” battery.....