Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Solar with powerwall install

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm in the process of getting Solar installed and the Company I've chosen wants 15K for a single powerwall and 13K for a second. The second place choice installer wanted 15K for the first and 7K for a second one. Chose the first one because the panel output is way higher. The second battery price is so different I have to think that there's something wrong here. Pls let me know what your prices are like in this configuration. I've thought about just having the one installed and have reached out to other Tesla suppliers to add the second one after, but haven't had much response.

Powerwalls cost 7k each for the hardware, for both us and the installers. AFAIK they dont get discounts on the hardware. The very simple answer is that your first installer is charging you a price including a large amount of labor for the second powerwall, and the second company isnt.

If you get just one powerwall installed, it basically only powers lights and fridges (no 240v items at all), and there is no chance of doing whole home backup with 1 powerwall nor powering things like most heat pumps etc.

Sounds to me like you needed to keep looking, or see what company 2 had as far as panel options, or more capacity.

Same 7K for each of 2 Powerwalls. 5K more for install. 2.5K discount for installing at same times as SolarRoof. We have the whole house backed up with the 2 PWs which makes the wiring easier than a single PW + a critical loads panel.

FWIW, Powerwalls have been very hard to get. Make sure to ask if PW will be installed at the same time as solar.

Each additional power wall will be less. All of the other supporting equipment is already there for the first one. My prices were similar to your first quote.
Plaidish, Are you saying that your prices were 15K & 12K? How recent was that since I know Tesla upped their prices earlier this year. I'm just trying to get a reasonable number to beat on the sales person. Sorry about the earlier blank response. My script blocker does strange things sometime :)

I’ll quote you my power wall part of my order. I also had 10.5kw solar installed.

3x power wall 19500
1 gateway. 1000
Installation 2500
- 2500 solar and power wall discount

20500 total for powerwall

this is before the NYS battery + solar rebate (POS not tax credit) of 6250

so basically me adding 3 power walls to my solar cost me 14250. More than a standby generator but less maintenance and hopefully more reliable.
Hope this helps.

Reactions: BGbreeder
Plaidish, Are you saying that your prices were 15K & 12K? How recent was that since I know Tesla upped their prices earlier this year. I'm just trying to get a reasonable number to beat on the sales person. Sorry about the earlier blank response. My script blocker does strange things sometime :)
I ordered last summer. Install was beginning of this year.

I’ll quote you my power wall part of my order. I also had 10.5kw solar installed.

3x power wall 19500
1 gateway. 1000
Installation 2500
- 2500 solar and power wall discount

20500 total for powerwall

this is before the NYS battery + solar rebate (POS not tax credit) of 6250

so basically me adding 3 power walls to my solar cost me 14250. More than a standby generator but less maintenance and hopefully more reliable.
Hope this helps.
Thanks Plaidish,
That really helps a lot to figure out what I should be paying for something similar.
Paul