Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

new tires : Primacy MXM4 or Eagle RS-A2?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For whatever it is worth (which is not much), my new Model S 90D came with the Goodyear Eagle Touring tires. After reading on TMC about all the road noise, etc., I was expecting that I would be unhappy especially on the highway compared to my previous Audi with Conti DWS tires.

However, I was very pleasantly surprised. The car is extremely quiet on the highway and on local roads. So much so that one of my passengers, who is car crazy, commented that it was the quietest car he has ever sat in. I'd have to agree - the car is quieter than any S-class or BMW 7xx that I've been in. Naturally part of that is the lack of a noisy engine, but as well seems the car is well sealed and the tires ride very quietly (and comfortably).

The new Eagle Touring OEM tires have the foam liner. They cost as much as the Primacy, but apparently no mileage warranty. We will need some long term data from owners to see how these last, handling, wet weather experience, etc.

For the 10,000 or so miles that the GY RS-A2s (replacements for the Michelins) were on the previous car prior to trade-in, they held up fine.

For the 12,000 miles the new GY Touring tires have been on the latest car, the amount of wear has been alarming. I doubt these will last 25,000 miles at this rate. Given their replacement cost, they appear to be a poor value.

Compared to the Michelin Primacy tires that lasted 53,000 miles with 3/32" left, there's just no comparison. Not to mention, they're a better-constructed tire - for example, deeper stiping.

Other caveats - the Michelins are an LRR tire. The RS-A2s are not. You'd think the Touring tires would be but I haven't checked.

I'd rank the tires this way, with all prices within $50, and tread life wholly dependent upon the usual factors:

Michelin Primacy ($1400/set). 50,000 miles
GY Eagle RS-A2 ($500/set) 30,000 miles
GY Touring ($1000/set) 20-25,000 miles

So with the experience above, the new OEM tires (Goodyear Touring) add at least $2000 to the cost of ownership over 100,000 miles.

As always, your mileage will vary.

Discount Tire has them for $219 apiece. Tire Rack has them for $201.20 per.

Capture.JPG

• Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones
So far the Goodyear touring with the foam liners are wearing well on my 100D. They start at 9/32 and now are 8/32 perfectly even on all four tires after 8000 miles. If I replace at 4/32 at the current wear rate They should last close to 40k. They're quieter than the Primacy but the rear test will be the snow performance this winter.

I just had the Pirelli Cinturato P7 AS Plus installed at America Tires yesterday for $220. Drove it to work today via both 91 free way and 241 route. I am amaze how quiet and well handled these tires are compared with the stock Michelin Primacy. The Primacy was quiet, but this take the cake.

I am going to need to replace the tires on my S60 at some point in the not to distant future, and am trying to decide what to go with.

My car currently has the OEM Eagle RS-A2 tires on it. Tire rack has this tire on sale for $114 right now.

Is there anyone here who has had both of these sets of tires on their car, and can tell me their opinion on if the MXM4 with worth more than 2x the price?

My 2016 S90D was delivered with Goodyear Eagles in December of 2016. My prior Tesla 85D had Michelin Primacy. The Goodyear tires had a lot more tire noise than the Primacy on my S85D. Part of the noise may have been that 3 of the 4 could not be balanced. I had them replaced with Primacy and that is what I plan to buy in the future.