Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New (to me) Model X 2020 LR Plus -- A few questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I found a good deal on a used 2020 Long Range Plus X a couple of weeks ago and I wanted to share a few observations and ask a couple of questions.

Wheels -- The LR+ X has the larger wheels
IMG_5830.jpg
which I thought I wanted, but it turns out that the ride is waaaay harsher and I wish I had smaller wheels for the comfort! I hope they work in snow. The prior owner also rubbed these wheels against the curb for many years-- so I hope I can find a place to fix the wheel damage.

The 3rd row seat has a weird piece sticking up that I can't push back in and looking at the wear and tear the prior owner couldn't figure it out either. Any ideas whats going on with that or how to fix it?
IMG_5840.jpg

The falcon wing door has been rubbing the frame for a looong time and the paint is completely gone! I guess I will use touch-up paint, but does anyone know how to fix the actual door to prevent this from happening?
door1.png

The biggest issue is the air suspension keeps failing anytime I try to adjust it with this error resulting in an extremely bouncy ride (as if Its frozen in place and no shock absorption at all). The only fix is to reboot the computer and hope it works 1-2 times before it throws the error again. Have others had this issue before?
airsus.png

Regarding range -- it has 35k miles on it, yet I only seem to get ~200 miles per charge on the highway going 70-80mph, what are others getting on their longer road trips? I am wondering if there is serious battery degradation or if its normal and I will get 300 if I went like 50-60mph?

Regarding ride height -- How much does medium vs high vs low or very low impact range on the highway? Does it really matter? Do people really change it to low and have a harsher ride for a few more miles?

Thanks!

You FWD need the new revised hinges and the frame needs to be repainted. If your X is still under warranty you can push Tesla to do these retro fit on the hinges and readjust the door. If you are out of warranty then you are on your own.
3 months left on the warranty. Any specific document or info I can use to make it easy to get this done at the service center? Is this a recall?

Will they repaint it under warranty? Or should I just use touch up paint?

Your circa 200 mile per charge is a about right.

Ride height doesn't really affect ride quality unless you're on a rant bumpy surface. Ride firmness will affect your comfort. But your suspension doesn't look like it's functioning correctly anyway.

I would get booked in asap and insist on a courtesy car as they'll hang on to it for a few weeks.

Reactions: buckets0fun
3 months left on the warranty. Any specific document or info I can use to make it easy to get this done at the service center? Is this a recall?

Will they repaint it under warranty? Or should I just use touch up paint?

Tesla is aware of some FWD that are misaligned that is causing the rubbing. You will really have to push them to fix this issue because you are so close to end of warranty. But if you really push them and stop with the touch up paint they will do it. It's known issue. Good luck!

• Informative
Reactions: buckets0fun
wish I had smaller wheels for the comfort! I hope they work in snow. The prior owner also rubbed these wheels against the curb for many years-- so I hope I can find a place to fix the wheel damage
Larger wheels are not great in the snow. As they have damage anyway, you might want to consider replacing them rather than fixing them. People often sell take-offs from their new cars at reasonable prices.
The 3rd row seat has a weird piece sticking up that I can't push back in
As a reference, here is what mine looks like.
IMG_6535.jpeg

I only seem to get ~200 miles per charge on the highway going 70-80mph, what are others getting on their longer road trips
I am never sure what people mean when they say “per charge.” Is that 100% to 0%? I think not. So what percentage of your battery are you going from and to? And BTW, those big wheels are sucking up range. Yet another reason to go for smaller wheels.