Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New to the family

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all. Lurked on here for hours and hours over the last couple weeks as I researched incessantly about my purchase. I eventually put a deposit on a showroom SR+ with 400 miles and was really excited. But then I kept reading about buying as much range as you could afford and started questioning the decision. I love speed so the “justification” for a bigger battery had a real fun/enjoyment factor attached to it, especially on some possibility of future upgrades/updates to unlock power we are pretty confident is software limited. I also figure in Arizona they will stop issuing the special plates to allow HOV access before too much longer, in which case I’ll be driving it as long as I can. Put all this together and I was able to justify a 25% price increase on an already expensive car… o_O

So Saturday I took delivery on a LR AWD. MSM w/ white interior and aero wheels.

I resisted the whole EV thing for a long time. As someone who likes sports cars, engine noise, even rowing my own gears, I wasn’t a fan.

Not any more.

This thing is amazing. I picked up my wife and kids after taking delivery and we went driving. When I got on the accelerator, my 3 kids literally started squealing in the exact same way they do when they ride a roller coaster. My 4 year old said it tickled his penis :D

Yesterday I was supposed to fly to San Diego for business yesterday and of course cancelled my flight so I could road trip (from Phoenix).

Sheer joy. AP was fantastic. The torque going uphill through the mountains was unreal. Acceleration at highway speeds is just awesome. ABRP delivered. Supercharging was easy. Driving the speed limit was extremely hard :)

Anyway, great community here. Thanks for all the great info pre-purchase. I just love my car. Now I just need to get my home charging situation squared away. I am planning to just install a NEMA 14-50 outlet to save some money. The HPWC seems overkill for now…

Cheers!

Cool. Nice car color combo too. Enjoyed the read and welcome to the family but I had one question. Did you get to have a test drive first? Sounds like maybe you hadn’t.

Don’t forget to look into utility rebates etc.
That was indeed a good read. "Test Drive". I hadn't thought of that; I ordered last week. Now I'm going to call Corte Madera and see about an appointment. Thanks for the idea!

Reactions: SMAlset
Cool. Nice car color combo too. Enjoyed the read and welcome to the family but I had one question. Did you get to have a test drive first? Sounds like maybe you hadn’t.

Don’t forget to look into utility rebates etc.

I test drove the SR+ but not the LRD. I knew it would be faster but wasn't expecting such a difference, especially at speed in that 30-70 range. It's pretty addicting.

I looked into SRP, and they have a special EV plan with really low kwh rates on super off peak. Need to call and figure out what the deal is there. I did not see any rebates.

Reactions: SmartElectric
This thing is amazing. I picked up my wife and kids after taking delivery and we went driving. When I got on the accelerator, my 3 kids literally started squealing in the exact same way they do when they ride a roller coaster. My 4 year old said it tickled his penis :D
Sure you think that is cute now, but wait a decade or so when he starts talking about his date.....:)

You might be interested in checking out the Arizona Tesla owners group here on TMC:

Arizona Tesla Motors Club | Tesla Motors Club

Thanks! Will definitely check it out.

only "hours?" :D

Congrats! You'll find excuses to take the car out for a spin.

And nice choice with the MSM ;)

So. Many. Hours. :cool: I am at this conference with my car sitting in the hotel garage and it’s killing me. I think I “need” to take a drive up to La Jolla this afternoon...

Sure you think that is cute now, but wait a decade or so when he starts talking about his date.....:)

Yeah I also have 9 and 7 year old boys, so it’s not too far away. Gotta enjoy these moments while they last!

Nice one, Urbancowboy!! I really wish I could have gone for the LR.. I have an SR+ and although its plenty quick, I dream of the LR and DM Powa! You're supporting an important movement for transportation and sustainability and American industry!!! Next up, give lots of test drives and try to convert more people so that Tesla can prosper and we can put ICE's behind us :)

• Love
Reactions: BBone
Nice one, Urbancowboy!! I really wish I could have gone for the LR.. I have an SR+ and although its plenty quick, I dream of the LR and DM Powa! You're supporting an important movement for transportation and sustainability and American industry!!! Next up, give lots of test drives and try to convert more people so that Tesla can prosper and we can put ICE's behind us :)

To be honest, I do have some amount of heartburn over what I spent on the LR AWD compared to the SR+. I think for most of my needs the SR+ is plenty sufficient, and I could still return the LR AWD and pick up the SR+. But having driven the LR AWD for a few hundred miles, I've screwed myself out of that option as I'm now spoiled by the power :oops:

Our Teslas have been the highest priced cars we've bought over the years so I can understand the apprehension about spending more for the LR AWD version. My feeling is if you can still comfortably swing it, I think the larger battery and even the power boost (whether you use it all the time or just enjoy being the first car from the light or accelerating solidly around a turn) is worth it for the mileage convenience and the fun. The premium package features are nice too. We're midlife purchasers and plan to have our cars for a while. Figure we won't be buying too many more in our future and given the cost of cars presently why not spend the money on something that you truly love driving every day. Aside from one's bed, your car is probably the thing you spend the most hours in.

BTW OP you might also want to keep an eye on the Events section of the forum. Group meet ups are frequently posted there and fun to attend. Went to one at Kettleman City, Calif after we bought our Model S and waiting to order our Model 3. The roadtrip was fun in the car, the KC SC location was amazing to experience and met some really nice members. That's where one member who already had his Model 3 was giving test drives to everyone (and this was before they were available at a few Tesla stores). Like I said really nice members and enjoyed spending time with everyone over lunch. With summer weather almost here there should be more roadtrips ahead.

Last edited:
I traded in a 4x4 pickup truck, and one of the reasons I opted for the LR AWD is so we could get up to Flagstaff and go skiing without having to chain up when the weather is bad. Even with the LR AWD it will be a bit of a savings every month over what I was paying due to gas. Will also save over $500/year on registration. So yeah it's comfortable, but it's still a lot of money.

But have I mentioned how much fun it is??

I'm excited to hit up a meetup. I used to own BMWs and enjoyed the community within the BMWCCA. Will be nice to have that again.

Where in the Bay Area are you? We lived out there from 07-11, Sunnyvale and Los Altos.

Reactions: ColoradoFun
Hey all. Lurked on here for hours and

Sheer joy. ... a NEMA 14-50 outlet to save some money. The HPWC seems overkill for now…

Cheers!

BEST QUOTE EEEEVER!!!! HYSTERICAL!!! Love that boy!!

Agreed on the 14-50. We have two in garage for each car - cheap and easy and work fantastic. And the upgrade to the LR battery was a great decision. You won't regret it.

Happy driving and keep us posted on the kid quotes!! I almost wet myself reading that!

Reactions: Steve Martin
Maybe this reaffirms your choice in models. MotorTrend just came out with this review today of the AWD Model 3: 2018 Tesla Model 3 Long Range Dual Motor First Test Review - MotorTrend My favorite takeaway phrase from it was "Like sitting in the first car of a roller coaster..." I particularly liked that the lead-in article's photo was of my car config. I just think it's also a stunning car regardless of color choice.

I traded in a 4x4 pickup truck, and one of the reasons I opted for the LR AWD is so we could get up to Flagstaff and go skiing without having to chain up when the weather is bad. Even with the LR AWD it will be a bit of a savings every month over what I was paying due to gas. Will also save over $500/year on registration. So yeah it's comfortable, but it's still a lot of money.

But have I mentioned how much fun it is??

I'm excited to hit up a meetup. I used to own BMWs and enjoyed the community within the BMWCCA. Will be nice to have that again.

Where in the Bay Area are you? We lived out there from 07-11, Sunnyvale and Los Altos.

My Avalon was frightening to fill up with gasoline at times when the prices were around $5 or so. My car has only been to the SC twice so far (haven't taken on a trip yet), initially on the way home with it to make sure the Supercharging and charging port worked and then another time I was up the Penisula and needed to get home. I think you will appreciate charging at home once you get set up. Too bad your power company doesn't offer any rebates like PG&E has offered. We changed over a few months ago to an 11pm to 6am Off Peak Plan, which sounds similar to yours. I usually time my charge to start at 11:30pm and it finishes before 6am. Last charge was 11:30pm @ 57mi and completing at 5:52am with 270mi (90% setting). Forget what amperage we have it set to but we are also using a NEMA 14-50 to charge. Aside from windshield washer fluid and car body and glass cleaner (have been using waterless car washes but keep extra on hand at home for the bird droppings), those are the only car products I've really needed. Oh and I picked up one of those 12v car vacuums to keep it tidy inside. It's great not having to deal with gasoline fillups or oil changes too.

I don't charge every night but try not to let it get down to that 20% mark just in case I need to run errands and want to use Sentry Mode. That stops working at 20% and Cabin Overheat Protection will stop at that point too. COP is set to On and I do use Sentry frequently due to our high vandalism rate here in the bay area.

We've been in the bay area since 93 I think. Also on the peninsula in Sunnyvale but since moved south near San Jose for more house/yard and more reasonable housing prices. Was looking to buy a house when there were sometimes 20+ offers placed on a property and raffles among interested purchasers just to get a place in line to buy in a new development. Can't believe how much prices have escalated even since then. Feel for new people coming into the market here now wanting to buy a home and a Tesla LOL. But it is nice to live in Teslaland and I see them all over every day.

Last edited:
BEST QUOTE EEEEVER!!!! HYSTERICAL!!! Love that boy!!

Happy driving and keep us posted on the kid quotes!! I almost wet myself reading that!

My wife took a video that is pure gold :)

Maybe this reaffirms your choice in models. MotorTrend just came out with this review today of the AWD Model 3: 2018 Tesla Model 3 Long Range Dual Motor First Test Review - MotorTrend My favorite takeaway phrase from it was "Like sitting in the first car of a roller coaster..."

Well that was awesome. Just shared in a new thread. The flat 4s 0-60 is impressive, and who knows it could get better in the future.

I do love the white in the 3, especially with the sport wheels...

For anyone who missed it, TacoTruck's comment is worth repeating. I could not agree more. Let's spread the word.
You're supporting an important movement for transportation and sustainability and American industry!!! Next up, give lots of test drives and try to convert more people so that Tesla can prosper and we can put ICE's behind us :)

Reactions: Jazz_MIII
Hey all. Lurked on here for hours and hours over the last couple weeks as I researched incessantly about my purchase. I eventually put a deposit on a showroom SR+ with 400 miles and was really excited. But then I kept reading about buying as much range as you could afford and started questioning the decision. I love speed so the “justification” for a bigger battery had a real fun/enjoyment factor attached to it, especially on some possibility of future upgrades/updates to unlock power we are pretty confident is software limited. I also figure in Arizona they will stop issuing the special plates to allow HOV access before too much longer, in which case I’ll be driving it as long as I can. Put all this together and I was able to justify a 25% price increase on an already expensive car… o_O

So Saturday I took delivery on a LR AWD. MSM w/ white interior and aero wheels.

I resisted the whole EV thing for a long time. As someone who likes sports cars, engine noise, even rowing my own gears, I wasn’t a fan.

Not any more.

Yesterday I was supposed to fly to San Diego for business yesterday and of course cancelled my flight so I could road trip (from Phoenix).

Sheer joy. AP was fantastic. The torque going uphill through the mountains was unreal. Acceleration at highway speeds is just awesome. ABRP delivered. Supercharging was easy. Driving the speed limit was extremely hard :)

Anyway, great community here. Thanks for all the great info pre-purchase. I just love my car. Now I just need to get my home charging situation squared away. I am planning to just install a NEMA 14-50 outlet to save some money. The HPWC seems overkill for now…

Cheers!
Big ditto from me. I’ve owned 2 911 and BMW and Audi. trade ten of those gas buckets for one 3. i used to LOVE the 911 gurgles now it just sounds like silly farting.
But until you drive it’s hard to know. I laugh at pretenders that wish their energy buckets somehow justify the price. and Audi with its smart driver features... it’s not even an EV! or the other EVs are just pretenders. i bought an Ioniq EV which is good. until you touch a tesla. now it just sits there until i can sell it. To think billionaires from the 80s and 90s never owned anything near this what $46k can buy you today. yes, the white is worth the extra $1,500.

• Love
Reactions: BBone