Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New to the family

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all. Lurked on here for hours and hours over the last couple weeks as I researched incessantly about my purchase. I eventually put a deposit on a showroom SR+ with 400 miles and was really excited. But then I kept reading about buying as much range as you could afford and started questioning the decision. I love speed so the “justification” for a bigger battery had a real fun/enjoyment factor attached to it, especially on some possibility of future upgrades/updates to unlock power we are pretty confident is software limited. I also figure in Arizona they will stop issuing the special plates to allow HOV access before too much longer, in which case I’ll be driving it as long as I can. Put all this together and I was able to justify a 25% price increase on an already expensive car… o_O

So Saturday I took delivery on a LR AWD. MSM w/ white interior and aero wheels.

I resisted the whole EV thing for a long time. As someone who likes sports cars, engine noise, even rowing my own gears, I wasn’t a fan.

Not any more.

This thing is amazing. I picked up my wife and kids after taking delivery and we went driving. When I got on the accelerator, my 3 kids literally started squealing in the exact same way they do when they ride a roller coaster. My 4 year old said it tickled his penis :D

Yesterday I was supposed to fly to San Diego for business yesterday and of course cancelled my flight so I could road trip (from Phoenix).

Sheer joy. AP was fantastic. The torque going uphill through the mountains was unreal. Acceleration at highway speeds is just awesome. ABRP delivered. Supercharging was easy. Driving the speed limit was extremely hard :)

Anyway, great community here. Thanks for all the great info pre-purchase. I just love my car. Now I just need to get my home charging situation squared away. I am planning to just install a NEMA 14-50 outlet to save some money. The HPWC seems overkill for now…

Cheers!
Welcome to the evolution, brother! Once EV, never ICE again! Glad to see yet, ANOTHER satisfied Tesla owner! Happy warping!

“My grandpa has a Tesla that’s faster than 12 of 14 Bugattis and it farts (thankfully only an option I turn on for grandchildren). He was the hit of his class for a week!

Funny! I saw the fart option and didn't think much of it at the time (other than a quick snicker), but you make a great point! Grandkids will love it! So much for a no emission car…

• Funny
Reactions: Urbancowboy
To be honest, I do have some amount of heartburn over what I spent on the LR AWD compared to the SR+. I think for most of my needs the SR+ is plenty sufficient, and I could still return the LR AWD and pick up the SR+. But having driven the LR AWD for a few hundred miles, I've screwed myself out of that option as I'm now spoiled by the power :oops:

Have you test driven the DM/AWD.....it is very quick....0-60. ~ 4.4sec......about 0.7G ......much more torque than m Jag XK-8. ...

it is always a thrill to drive.... Now I ALWAYS take the long way home!!

SYBRITE

DOP. May2,2019. Still a newby....

Congrats man. I've been loving my LR RWD for these first couple of months. I test drove an AWD not performance out of Corte Madera on a whim. Blown away! I ultimately decided not to go for the AWD option at the time because I didn't think it would be worth the extra $4000 at the time. I wish I'd gone for it. We have a lot of great windy roads out here and I'd love the extra grip and the extra quickness....

Awesome, my friend. I've owned my long-range Model 3 for almost a year now and it is in the top five best purchases I have ever made in my life (my solar panels and Powerwall are in there, too). I absolutely loved my 2000 Mustang, and owned it for 19 years, so I was very apprehensive, also, about buying the Tesla. But, it has surpassed my expectations. I'll never forget the Mustang, but the Model 3 is already carving out a spot next to it. Great post, and a big welcome!

• Love
Now I just need to get my home charging situation squared away. I am planning to just install a NEMA 14-50 outlet to save some money. The HPWC seems overkill for now…
I asked my electrician if he could install both a NEMA 14-50 outlet and a Tesla HPWC on a single circuit and he said yes but asked why and I said the Tesla HPWC has some electronics that could be a potential point of failure in the future and I didn't want to be without a 240 volt charging solution. Having said that, it sure is soothing to leave the mobile charging connector in the trunk to have when needed when traveling rather than forgetting it in the garage.

Attachments

• 2015 HPWC Installation Photo.JPG
    2015 HPWC Installation Photo.JPG
    427.2 KB · Views: 73
Congrats from a fellow Gilbert, AZ based new Tesla owner!

Your config is still my favorite color combo. Just got my first Tesla last week and still on a high (used White on black AWD, 19's with 10k miles). My kids love the roller coaster too but are too focused on the whoopee cushion and arcade games now :)

Just got my 14-50 installed too, after at least 5 quotes I cannot recommend Alan Bishop (928-533-0051) enough. Literally saved me thousands, and just the kind of small business owner and human you want to give you hard earned money to. Tell him Jason P. sent ya.

Enjoy the ride!

Congratulations it sounds like your experience is similar to many of us. I get such a kick out of this car, I haven't been this excited about a car in a very long time and I just sold a C7 Corvette lol. You see it in the YouTube videos but in my experience its almost the same every time. Just floor it for a few seconds and then look at the big grins on everyone's faces.

• Funny
Sheer joy. AP was fantastic. The torque going uphill through the mountains was unreal. Acceleration at highway speeds is just awesome. ABRP delivered. Supercharging was easy. Driving the speed limit was extremely hard :)

Welcome to the party!

Have had my M3 LR AWD for 6 months and 4 days and AGAIN today I didn't want to get out of my car after it drove me 47 miles to work. I just want to stay and listen to those 15 speakers play awesome songs that rock my seat! I now have 9, 099 miles on it and can't stop talking to EVERYONE about this car! I have had BMWs, a Porsche and Fiats. I think back now and they are so boring compared to my Tesla. I have NEVER had a speeding ticket in my 49 yrs of driving...but, boy, do I have to watch it. Just the speed of changing lanes and getting in front of other cars is awesome!

I haven't smoked cigs, pot or drank for 32 yrs, so figure this is my new addiction! And I bought it with all the money I saved from those other addictions! Heaven!

• Love
Congrats on the new Model 3. This is my first post. I actually just stumbled onto this site. I purchased my Model 3 Mid Range in March. I was going to purchase the SR+ but they upselled me on a MR. I ended up saving thousands on the deal. A Tesla rep told me its the best deal they've given. I basically got the MR for same price as the SR+ in RED. Its too bad they dont sell that trim anymore. I feel like I have a limited edition Model 3 now knowing its no longer and option. Ive been having loads of fun driving this car and I hope you will as well.

Also, for people that live in sunny climates such as Arizona's, combining an EV with solar panels at home is a truly synergistic combination that provides a zero carbon footprint, and which can pay for itself (depending on many things) in around 7 years.

Just ordered a second Tesla yesterday. Blue LR Model 3 with white interior. Supposed to arrive in 2 weeks!

My model X 75D (red with white and carbon fiber) was delivered a year ago this week. Every now and then, over the past year, I would have to drive my wife’s Acura MDX because she’d take the MX. It’s like going back in time to horse and buggy days. I just wish my signature wall charger would arrive soon (not holding my breath though).

Welcome to the future!

Reactions: Jazz_MIII