Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New to the MSLR - delivery date this week!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

SL77

MSLR MSM 2023
Mar 21, 2022
Louisiana
This will be my second Tesla, and I am most excited about the longer range (coming from a 21 MYP), the yoke, and the ventilated seats. I am little concerned about it being a smaller vehicle (at least in height), but everything seems a little bit nicer in the S. Finally, I was never truly a fan of the way the Y looked, and the S to me seems to be a more attractive vehicle.

So just reaching out to see if anyone followed a similar path. Any tips, advice, things I should be on the lookout for? Is the stock tint on the S and better or worse than the Y for reflecting heat?

Thanks and can't wait!

Reactions: Nickos and Pricedm
I am also a new Model S owner...though it's my first Tesla. After 20 years of my daily driver being either a mini-van or large crossover/suv...I wanted the following:

1) Great driving car...both for daily driving and for "spirited outbursts".
2) Comfortable highway cruiser / road trip car
3) Style

The S checked all those boxes for me in spades. I never considered a Y or X. I thought about a M3P, but I personally don't care for the front end...and while it may be a little more fun to toss around than the Model S, it's not nearly as good of a road trip vehicle. (I rented both before making my purchase decision.)

Oh, and not a single day goes by where I miss my 2002 Pontiac Montana. :cool:

I had an MY LR w/boost. I bought an MS LR. I've never looked back and there isn't a single day I miss my Y. I love the comfort, better acceleration and range. Looks so much better than the guppy.
Side tracking this thread a bit sorry but I am blaming You personally for your posts and LR S feedback for my irrational purchase of a 23 Model S Plaid on Saturday! Only wanted the simple S and your dam posts kept ringing in my ear until my wife said “ just get the Plaid or you’ll regret it every day!” Pick it up Wednesday with the crazy discounts and FSD transfer fully loaded. Dam internet instigators!

Side tracking this thread a bit sorry but I am blaming You personally for your posts and LR S feedback for my irrational purchase of a 23 Model S Plaid on Saturday! Only wanted the simple S and your dam posts kept ringing in my ear until my wife said “ just get the Plaid or you’ll regret it every day!” Pick it up Wednesday with the crazy discounts and FSD transfer fully loaded. Dam internet instigators!
You've got a great car and an even better wife. Take the lady out to dinner once you get it.

I am the epitome of regretting at least one Tesla purchase; my MY LR. The MS LR was great except for how much the acceleration annoyed me as I've probably been overly vocal about but if anyone really enjoys the acceleration, the LR is going to be a disappointment from what it should have been. Since getting the Plaid, I have never once missed my LR. For the limited price difference, it is a no-brainer if you value performance or track mode.

Not to mention it gives you an excuse to buy the track pack brakes. Start prepping your wife for that. Throw in a few extra dinners and a nice shopping spree someplace before you drop that one on her.

Congrats on the new car! Send the commission check my way. :cool: PS -hope you didn't order the 21's.

You've got a great car and an even better wife. Take the lady out to dinner once you get it.

I am the epitome of regretting at least one Tesla purchase; my MY LR. The MS LR was great except for how much the acceleration annoyed me as I've probably been overly vocal about but if anyone really enjoys the acceleration, the LR is going to be a disappointment from what it should have been. Since getting the Plaid, I have never once missed my LR. For the limited price difference, it is a no-brainer if you value performance or track mode.

Not to mention it gives you an excuse to buy the track pack brakes. Start prepping your wife for that. Throw in a few extra dinners and a nice shopping spree someplace before you drop that one on her.

Congrats on the new car! Send the commission check my way. :cool: PS -hope you didn't order the 21's.
You had me till that last sentence. Really didn’t want them but they had it loaded with the 21’s gave me 10k off, 1k loyalty, and FSD 15k transfer. Had to say yes. May opt to change them in short order though. Has 19 miles on it so someone tested it but the discount wins. Yeah dinner will work so long as she never wants to drive…..

Can't beat that kind of a deal. Especially with the FSD transfer in effect.

I'd say dump the 21's ASAP and get something nicer/lighter. With so few miles, you'd likely get good money out of them.

Enjoy!

Reactions: Yelobird
I had an MY LR w/boost. I bought an MS LR. I've never looked back and there isn't a single day I miss my Y. I love the comfort, better acceleration and range. Looks so much better than the guppy.

I'm glad, it's time to replace my M3P and I was set on choosing the MYP just for the bigger interior / trunk space, towing ability. Well.. clicked a bit around last week and boom MSP with 10.5k off and FSD transfer.. can't say no to that :) I was still a bit on the fence if I did the right thing.. but reading a bit more here is convincing me ha

Same here, I thought the discount is fishy but it was not marked as a demo car and ready for immediate pickup tomorrow. We will see, fingers crossed for a good build quality!

Reactions: Yelobird
Was supposed to have delivery of my MSP today but the panel gap and step quarter panel to trunk on the driver side was just unacceptable. I know white paint highlights these especially but they agreed to try to improve it before I accept/pay it. Other than that the car seemed pretty great inside + out. They need 3 days, let’s see how the car looks end of the week.

Great car, just don't drive a Plaid if performance is in your top 2 priorities. :cool:
I would not be surprised at all if they come out with a boosted LR. It seems to be following what they did for the 3/Y. Standard range, Long Range, Performance, and boost for long range.

A boosted LR would be pretty sweet. I do like that the LR weighs 205lbs less than the Plaid. It's always good for handling and braking!

All that being said, 0-60 in 3.2sec (as fast as the legendary Mclaren F1), and nearly 700hp is nothing to take lightly. The LR is indeed already at supercar levels. :) Many will be happy with it the way it is.

Reactions: Hayseed_MS
I waited a long time for the boosted LR to show up and never did. I finally gave up and sold my LR and got the Plaid. It was the right decision for me. I really had no complaint about the acceleration once moving, it was pretty good. Just off the line was so slow compared to what it could have been. Mos days you are looking at 3.4-3.5 with the car 0-60. My best run ever was a 3.28.

I occasionally put out of Plaid mode and drive in the mode equivalent to the MS LR once I am up to speed. It is still satisfying to drive in that mode, just the launches still annoy me. My LR definitely got better range but I think mostly due to the 19" vs 21" sizes.

I waited a long time for the boosted LR to show up and never did. I finally gave up and sold my LR and got the Plaid. It was the right decision for me. I really had no complaint about the acceleration once moving, it was pretty good. Just off the line was so slow compared to what it could have been. Mos days you are looking at 3.4-3.5 with the car 0-60. My best run ever was a 3.28.

I occasionally put out of Plaid mode and drive in the mode equivalent to the MS LR once I am up to speed. It is still satisfying to drive in that mode, just the launches still annoy me. My LR definitely got better range but I think mostly due to the 19" vs 21" sizes.
I know :)

I have the X and not willing to give up fold flat seats. Also the bench seat is great for dogs. We have 2.

My only hope is boost for LR S and X. But as I said 670hp is really a lot for the ICE world, it’s still one of the fastest SUVs. It’s just the EVs have taken HP to a whole new level.

My journey was similar. I had a 2022 Model Y Performance and bumped up to Model S LR for about 20 different reasons. While I loved my MYP I hated the way it bounced all over the road and the S suspension and ride quality is great. Other primary reasons inc. Cooled seats, Way quieter, the range, luxury feel, amazing screens, tons of room especially behind the front seats with back seats folded down, insane speed, handling and lost more. Enjoy your S.

Reactions: morbidz and SL77

The more I think about it the more obvious it is that they throttled the LR just to keep it further away from the Plaid. People have realized that the cheetah/launch mode doesn't do anything in the LR. I think when the LR was developed it absolutely did something. Then they probably throttled it afterwards because the 0-60 was likely within .5 sec of the Plaid. This now meant that the motors weren't drawing full current through the battery during launch so the launch mode is useless.....for now. If they unlock it then the launch mode will probably become useful again.

On the plus side with LR you get around 3.2 sec 0-60 by just stomping on it. No fuss, no hassle of launch mode. I really wonder what the real world 0-60 without launch mode is on the S Plaid. My guess is it's like 2.5 sec without launch mode, and 2.2 sec with launch mode.

BTW no one gets 1.99sec that is advertised even though people love throwing that number around. Remember that is with rollout subtracted and prepped surface. I have watched enough reviews from "real" editors and I see mostly around 2.2 sec (with launch mode).