Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New to the MSLR - delivery date this week!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wanted to post a quick follow-up. The vehicle is amazing, but I am switching out the yoke for a round steering wheel. Although the yoke is cool, I just cannot get used to it.

The only other gripe is that getting in and out of the S can be a challenge for tall people. It was much easier jumping in and out of the Model Y. I realize this is a small sacrifice considering the massive upgrade.

Me getting into the Model S 😆

Reactions: CleanDemon
Wanted to post a quick follow-up. The vehicle is amazing, but I am switching out the yoke for a round steering wheel. Although the yoke is cool, I just cannot get used to it.

The only other gripe is that getting in and out of the S can be a challenge for tall people. It was much easier jumping in and out of the Model Y. I realize this is a small sacrifice considering the massive upgrade.

Me getting into the Model S 😆
Did you happen to get the latest price drops? Not sure exactly when you got yours. The Plaid is now $89k and the LR is $79k(which qualifies for fed credit also).

Tesla sure knows how to make current owners happy. I may be hesitant to buy from them again.

You've got a great car and an even better wife. Take the lady out to dinner once you get it.

I am the epitome of regretting at least one Tesla purchase; my MY LR. The MS LR was great except for how much the acceleration annoyed me as I've probably been overly vocal about but if anyone really enjoys the acceleration, the LR is going to be a disappointment from what it should have been. Since getting the Plaid, I have never once missed my LR. For the limited price difference, it is a no-brainer if you value performance or track mode.

Not to mention it gives you an excuse to buy the track pack brakes. Start prepping your wife for that. Throw in a few extra dinners and a nice shopping spree someplace before you drop that one on her.

Congrats on the new car! Send the commission check my way. :cool: PS -hope you didn't order the 21's.
New to the Forum and Tesla in general so forgive me if this has been answered.

What is wrong with the 21s?

Big wheels are bad for perfomance, ride quality, damage easier, and give you poor efficiency/range. But hey they look good 😉

This is true for all cars not just EVs.

The 21s are better for PERFROMANCE, but worse for ride and effeciency. When you turn the steering wheel (or yoke), the more tire sidewall there is, the slower the response. Same for braking.

New to the Forum and Tesla in general so forgive me if this has been answered.

What is wrong with the 21s?
  • 21's = less efficient, weigh more, worse ride, excessive rear camber that causes accelerated rear tire wear. Can be fixed inexpensively or throw more money at it if you want. Subjectively they look better.
  • 19's = better range, better ride, weigh less, quicker for the Plaid, cheaper tire choices. Subjectively not as attractive.
  • 20's = Not an option when you order the car. This is the size that comes with the track pack brake kit if you add it. Possibly the Goldilocks option. LIkely what Tesla thought was best for max performance given that was the size they went with for the track pack brakes but possibly because their 19's wouldn't clear the brakes.

I've had all 3 sizes; 19's on my MS LR, then 21's on my Plaid and then went with 20's when I went with the track pack brakes. I would never order the car with the factory 21's as if I wanted 21's, I'd go aftermarket and get lighter wheels. I had lightweight 21's on my Plaid and they weighed pretty close to the 19's and looked far better than the factory 21's.

My aftermarket 20's are far lighter than the 19's. Definitely look better in my book too. I still think the 21's look best on the car. I also took care of the camber with the Macsboot Camber kit which was about $200 when I ordered and about 30 minutes to install and then did an alignment. Took care of my wear issue. Then went with the track pack brakes so less of an issue.

• 21's = less efficient, weigh more, worse ride, excessive rear camber that causes accelerated rear tire wear. Can be fixed inexpensively or throw more money at it if you want. Subjectively they look better.
  • 19's = better range, better ride, weigh less, quicker for the Plaid, cheaper tire choices. Subjectively not as attractive.
  • 20's = Not an option when you order the car. This is the size that comes with the track pack brake kit if you add it. Possibly the Goldilocks option. LIkely what Tesla thought was best for max performance given that was the size they went with for the track pack brakes but possibly because their 19's wouldn't clear the brakes.

I've had all 3 sizes; 19's on my MS LR, then 21's on my Plaid and then went with 20's when I went with the track pack brakes. I would never order the car with the factory 21's as if I wanted 21's, I'd go aftermarket and get lighter wheels. I had lightweight 21's on my Plaid and they weighed pretty close to the 19's and looked far better than the factory 21's.

My aftermarket 20's are far lighter than the 19's. Definitely look better in my book too. I still think the 21's look best on the car. I also took care of the camber with the Macsboot Camber kit which was about $200 when I ordered and about 30 minutes to install and then did an alignment. Took care of my wear issue. Then went with the track pack brakes so less of an issue.

Great info. Thanks!

The 21s are better for PERFROMANCE, but worse for ride and effeciency. When you turn the steering wheel (or yoke), the more tire sidewall there is, the slower the response. Same for braking.
They are worse for acceleration and braking simply due to weight. As for handling responsiveness there is a sweet spot. It may be 19 or 20. After that going bigger buys you nothing besides looks with all the downsides mentioned.

Btw the tires have just as much or even more affect on handling performance than the wheel size. Get a high performance summer tire and you will do great with the 19s.